Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2019, 08:16 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,986,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
Nurses and teachers qualify as middle class and they are a whole lot of black ones here.
Yes.

Old 02-21-2019, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Retirees aren't looking for employment. They want their dollars to spread further. So going South makes sense. I am already considering my options in another 10 or so years when I retire.

Blacks (immigrant or not) heading South are often disappointed at how limited the job options are and how low the pay is. In fact you yourself have mentioned this when others were singing that life in the South is bliss. The cousins down there aren't about to support an ex NYer who cannot find a living wage job.

NYC will always have a more dynamic economy than other places, even during a recession. Its just that most middle class blacks lack ladders of access to these opportunities so are being forced out of the city. A civil service wage can carry someone only so far when all goods and services are priced for the Bernie Sanders loving hipsters with their $3k studios and $20 coffees, and $50 organic, gluten free veggies. The mid level back office jobs in the financial services sector have now been moved out of NYC, lucky for those whose jobs only transferred over to Jersey City. Hospital jobs are also getting tight.
But basically African Americans bailed out of NYC in the 70s and the 80s, and the majority of Blacks in NYC (and that population is still declining) are immigrants. AAs just weren't that tied to NYC. We're really Southerners.

That does not mean life in the South is bliss. I made those comments when people suggested all poor New Yorkers move to the South. There are still housing costs in the South, one has to buy a car to get around, etc. It's not the land of milk and honey.

But at the same time, it's home for AAs and that's just what it is.

And yes, more than retirees move to Alabama or Mississippi or Louisiana. People whose families were from those places return to their homes. It's where they're from, and for many people it was better than being homeless or shot in some Northern/NYC ghetto.

Old 02-21-2019, 08:30 AM

https://www.vibe.com/2018/07/reverse...ck-populations

So the exodus of Blacks from NYC, Philadelphia, Chicago, and Detroit continues and the Black population in all four cities is steadily dropping.

Old 02-21-2019, 05:25 PM

172 posts, read 590,220 times
I can only speak for myself. I retire in 6yrs and I plan on moving south with my kids and close family. That will be about 11 less AA in nyc. I have plenty of friends that plan on doing the same. Why stay here and live check to check and deal with high rent for a small apt, high taxes, tickets , tolls, fare hikes, snow, cold, congestion, overcrowded schools etc... I’ll take my 401k savings and drop it on house so my kids can have a yard. I grew up in the city, worked for the city but I will never be able to afford property in the city. It’s not even worth trying. The hipsters and the immigrants who want to live 20 in a house can have it...I’ll be eating fruits off the trees in my backyard soon.

Btw Atlanta has one of the strongest job markets in the country. I know a few ex jailbirds that went south and got low level jobs but they are managing the lead respectable lives.

Old 02-22-2019, 05:09 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,544,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulGreggs55 View Post
Mixed race next to asians are the fastest growing racial group as far as birth goes, and 3rd highest income

And that doesn't answer the question. Why should blacks pant behind whites who haven't shown tremendous interest in marrying them? Mixed people are a diverse group so you cannot impute that this is the solution to any problems that the black middle class might have.

Old 02-22-2019, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Of course a person from Mississippi is a US citizen, and doesn't have to deal with immigration to work, do business, or study in another state. No passport or visa is needed.

The implication of course being that middle class people in the Caribbean wish to migrate to the USA. Many decide that they have no interest in living in a land where they might face bias for being black and being immigrants of color and are perfectly happy in their 5 bedroom lavish homes that they have down there. Yes landscaped to look like a botanic garden.

I think some folks spend too much time on the beach so have a very limited notion of how many live down there. In fact there are many middle class Caribbean immigrants to the USA who wonder whether migration wasn't a mistake.

Old 02-22-2019, 05:16 PM

Quote:

So the exodus of Blacks from NYC, Philadelphia, Chicago, and Detroit continues and the Black population in all four cities is steadily dropping.

Many black immigrants, especially the more successful ones are also leaving. In NYC one either has to be rich and in a dynamic sector or poor and so dependent on a safety net more ample than that available in most parts of the USA. Many decide just to migrate to FL and at least enjoy better weather even if not access to dynamic careers.

Old 02-22-2019, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDrop149 View Post
I I know a few ex jailbirds that went south and got low level jobs but they are managing the lead respectable lives.

Of course jailbirds will have different expectations than someone with a professional/managerial background. Even as it has a thriving black middle class ATL has tons of poverty and crime too, I think even worse than NYC. And from what I hear ATL black elites are quite cliquish.

Old 02-22-2019, 05:36 PM

3,210 posts, read 4,615,259 times
Quote:

I think the reasons for each one is different though. Coming from Philadelphia, I can tell you Philly hasn't lost as much of it's Black population as other cities in the north and is even growing some. Between being a center for African immigration as well as being an option for those priced out of NY/NJ has kept the Black population stable. I actually see the Black population growing there.

NYC's Black population will slowly decline but not sharply because of being a Caribbean mecca like Miami and London. I think Africans will also come here in some numbers but like other groups will spread out once they gain economic traction. I think NY will reach a certain level of black population and stabilize.

Chicago seems to have a serious AA out-migration problem. Considering how much of the South and West sides are, this shouldn't be a surprise. I don't see this reversing since the schools are abysmal and the economy there isn't gangbusters. Plus, even if you're not looking to head back south, you can go to Minnesota, Iowa, Wisconsin and find a much more racially hospitable environment.

Personally, I think in the future the next Black meccas outside the South will be in the West. SLC, Denver, Seattle are all very progressive areas with booming economies. I've heard good things about Phoenix believe it or not. I also think LA's Black population will stabilize at some point.

Old 02-22-2019, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Many black immigrants, especially the more successful ones are also leaving. In NYC one either has to be rich and in a dynamic sector or poor and so dependent on a safety net more ample than that available in most parts of the USA. Many decide just to migrate to FL and at least enjoy better weather even if not access to dynamic careers.
Then that's a wise decision for them. At least the weather in Florida is more similar to the Caribbean.

And yes to the having to being filthy rich or dealing with social services. It's what ruined NYC. Used to be a great city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City