Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2018, 02:25 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,545,646 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
I'm in agreement. I think the future of blacks in nyc are black Latinos, black Caribbeans and Africans.
Why? They undergo by the same pressures that impact black Americans. And there are large populations of people from these countries located elsewhere in the USA so it is easy for them to move.

In fact there has been a sharp decline in immigration into NYC from both the Hispanic and non Hispanic Caribbean as many see NYC as being an expensive place with limited quality of life. FL now has more Haitians than NY and it will soon also have more Jamaicans.

The black population in NY will drop just as it did in LA. Hispanics and Asians will replace them in the middle class enclaves as they are being priced out of areas closer to Manhattan.

Old 10-07-2018, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
afro Latinos,.
There is not going to be any grand "Afro" alliance connecting Afro Latinos with Caribbean and African blacks. The glue that integrates the former with the latter are black Americans. I don't see the working class Francophone Africans socializing that much with Dominicans. Middle class Nigerians certainly don't.

Old 10-07-2018, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post
many may have white/non-black partners means the desire to be in a "Black" neighborhood often isn't given as much weight..
Upper middle class blacks face a whole different socialization than do the equivalent Asian and (light skinned) Hispanic. Yes they do move to the affluent suburbs. Their connection to their white neighbors is largely through their involvement with their kids' friends. The relationship with their white neighbors is "polite". And yes I have been to their summer events where only a few attending are white.

Better believe that they don't want to be the "only" black person in the vicinity though dominant factors will be the quality of education and property taxes.

These black btw are Caribbean blacks who have much less negative baggage with white Americans than do many black Americans. The Jack and Jill was set up for a reason by affluent black Americans.

Old 10-07-2018, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post
I've only been there once or twice personally, but my understanding is it's not comparable to SE Queens or Canarsie. Much lower income and much more crime.
Like SE Queens the NE Bronx is not monolithic. South Jamaica isnt monolithic middle class bliss.

Old 10-07-2018, 02:44 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,990,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny;53300107[B
]A large % of the outmigration consists of Caribbean people and there descendants, so the South isnt their ancestral home.
[/b]
Having said that this migration is what is making red states less red. NC is already purple and GA not far behind. FL has seen a massive Caribbean immigration from the NE (there are now more Haitians there than in NYC and the same will soon apply for Jamaicans). Again along with migrants from PR ensuring that FL will cease being a purple state and become a blue one.

So the red state fanatic will soon be lamenting the arrival of these people with their blue state values. And yes many of these are solidly middle class so he can also set aside the usual nonsense that those who refuse to vote GOP do so because they want welfare.
People move wherever they find work or opportunities that make sense to them. Also not everyone likes NYC cold winters. People from the Caribbean will find a very similar climate in Florida. I know a lot of Anglo Caribbeans in Atlanta, and my cousins there are half Trindadians. In the past 20 years lots of Dominicans and Puerto Ricans have moved to Georgia and Florida.

Re; GA and FL turning people, both for the first time have progressive Black candidates as the Democratic nominee for governor. The demographic change you speak of as it play.

Old 10-07-2018, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
Why? They undergo by the same pressures that impact black Americans. And there are large populations of people from these countries located elsewhere in the USA so it is easy for them to move.

In fact there has been a sharp decline in immigration into NYC from both the Hispanic and non Hispanic Caribbean as many see NYC as being an expensive place with limited quality of life. FL now has more Haitians than NY and it will soon also have more Jamaicans.

The black population in NY will drop just as it did in LA. Hispanics and Asians will replace them in the middle class enclaves as they are being priced out of areas closer to Manhattan.
You see Hispanics and Asians in small towns in the South. Not just Black immigrants, but immigrants in general disperse. For the whole 20th century NYC was a port of arrival for immigrants, and it still is. Immigrants will work in NYC for awhile and as they learn more about the nation and their options a number will chose to move elsewhere or if they remain in the region some will chose the suburbs or even small towns in the Northeast.

Old 10-07-2018, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
Upper middle class blacks face a whole different socialization than do the equivalent Asian and (light skinned) Hispanic. Yes they do move to the affluent suburbs. Their connection to their white neighbors is largely through their involvement with their kids' friends. The relationship with their white neighbors is "polite". And yes I have been to their summer events where only a few attending are white.

Better believe that they don't want to be the "only" black person in the vicinity though dominant factors will be the quality of education and property taxes.

These black btw are Caribbean blacks who have much less negative baggage with white Americans than do many black Americans. The Jack and Jill was set up for a reason by affluent black Americans.
What is the Jack and Jill?

Old 10-07-2018, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
People move wherever they find work or opportunities that make sense to them. Also not everyone likes NYC cold winters. People from the Caribbean will find a very similar climate in Florida. I know a lot of Anglo Caribbeans in Atlanta, and my cousins there are half Trindadians. In the past 20 years lots of Dominicans and Puerto Ricans have moved to Georgia and Florida.

Re; GA and FL turning people, both for the first time have progressive Black candidates as the Democratic nominee for governor. The demographic change you speak of as it play.
In fact many Caribbean people also find that the South offers them a quality of life more in keeping with what they want.

So the notion that is sometimes peddled that NYC is about black Americans leaving and being replaced by black immigrants isnt true. The black population has tumbled a lot since 2000 and among those fleeing are Caribbean blacks. And I don't know that large numbers of Africans are moving in to fully replace them. And yes many of these Africans will also leave for the same reasons. TX has a huge African population.

Old 10-07-2018, 02:59 PM

34,104 posts, read 47,323,258 times
Quote:
What is the Jack and Jill?
Whoa time out

You don't know what Jack & Jill is???

You just might get revoked off of that.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 10-07-2018, 02:59 PM

Quote:
You see Hispanics and Asians in small towns in the South. Not just Black immigrants, but immigrants in general disperse. For the whole 20th century NYC was a port of arrival for immigrants, and it still is. Immigrants will work in NYC for awhile and as they learn more about the nation and their options a number will chose to move elsewhere or if they remain in the region some will chose the suburbs or even small towns in the Northeast.
I have maintained for a long time that NYC will price itself out of the market. Yes it will attract immigrants from the extreme ends of the income level (the dishwashers and the Techs) but many middle income immigrants are tired of the high cost of living in NYC. Let us get it real. NYC is a dynamic city for those in the dynamic sectors, but for others there are better places to be for those with families.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City