Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2018, 10:06 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,618,483 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
I'm in agreement. I think the future of blacks in nyc are black Latinos, black Caribbeans and Africans.
I'm part of that demographic. My black half is African based though I wish we had something to prove where. I don't really fit in with the black demographic anywhere though, so my migration pattern won't mimic the general trend lol.

Old 10-05-2018, 10:30 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,056,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javawood View Post
I'm part of that demographic. My black half is African based though I wish we had something to prove where. I don't really fit in with the black demographic anywhere though, so my migration pattern won't mimic the general trend lol.
One thing that will hold true from what I noticed is that more and more black American men will father children with Dominican and other Caribbean women. While black American women will date with Caribbean and African men. This has been going for a while now. But will pick up even more as more and more black Americans move back down south, leaving dating black options between afro Latinos, Afro Caribbean and Africans.

Old 10-05-2018, 10:37 AM

34,104 posts, read 47,323,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
It don't know about all of that, but it does offer high density(is a top 100 municipality in population density) in a predominantly Black setting(about 2/3rds) and has middle class areas in parts of the city. So, that can appeal to some individuals and families, if they are open to private school options or get into select public school programs.
Its also one of the few places in Westchester County that is within walking distance of a subway, that means a several hundred dollar a month difference for ppls' budget....

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 10-05-2018, 11:19 AM

93,414 posts, read 124,120,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Its also one of the few places in Westchester County that is within walking distance of a subway, that means a several hundred dollar a month difference for ppls' budget....
Good point, as I believe the Fleetwood station allows for people to get to Grand Central in less than/around 30 minutes. Fleetwood is a nice, walkable area as well. https://www.google.com/maps/@40.9258...6!9m2!1b1!2i40

Tuckahoe would be another appealing location in this regard and is a little bit further north. It also has good schools as well. https://www.google.com/maps/@40.9507...2!9m2!1b1!2i40

Old 10-05-2018, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Good point, as I believe the Fleetwood station allows for people to get to Grand Central in less than/around 30 minutes. Fleetwood is a nice, walkable area as well. https://www.google.com/maps/@40.9258...6!9m2!1b1!2i40

Tuckahoe would be another appealing location in this regard and is a little bit further north. It also has good schools as well. https://www.google.com/maps/@40.9507...2!9m2!1b1!2i40
I'm not talking about Metro-North

I'm talking about the 2 train, and both 5 trains

Any property in Westchester County within walking distance of 241st Street or Dyre Avenue will be unaffordable in 10 years

Old 10-05-2018, 04:54 PM

3,210 posts, read 4,615,663 times
Quote:

Any property in Westchester County within walking distance of 241st Street or Dyre Avenue will be unaffordable in 10 years
I doubt it. The 5 is terrible and the 2 is one long ride into Manhattan from up there. The North Bronx if for anything might get worse before it gets better due to people moving up from the improving areas of the South Bronx. Same goes for Mount Vernon and Yonkers.

Black upper-middle class and above people are simply going to meld into existing upper class areas. Between better schools, more housing equity and the fact that many may have white/non-black partners means the desire to be in a "Black" neighborhood often isn't given as much weight. There's a certain threshold where green starts to be the only color people see and care about. Same happens to Ethnic Whites/Asians/Latinos as well.

For middle to working class AAs, I still see SE Queens being there but becoming increasingly mixed with Mexicans, South Asians, Chinese and maybe a white family here or there. Basically it'll start to conform to the rest of Queens. Canarsie/Flatlands in BK is another almost wholly black middle class section of the city and probably will stay that way for a good long time due to poor subway access and distance.

Old 10-05-2018, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post
I doubt it. The 5 is terrible and the 2 is one long ride into Manhattan from up there. The North Bronx if for anything might get worse before it gets better due to people moving up from the improving areas of the South Bronx. Same goes for Mount Vernon and Yonkers.

Black upper-middle class and above people are simply going to meld into existing upper class areas. Between better schools, more housing equity and the fact that many may have white/non-black partners means the desire to be in a "Black" neighborhood often isn't given as much weight. There's a certain threshold where green starts to be the only color people see and care about. Same happens to Ethnic Whites/Asians/Latinos as well.

For middle to working class AAs, I still see SE Queens being there but becoming increasingly mixed with Mexicans, South Asians, Chinese and maybe a white family here or there. Basically it'll start to conform to the rest of Queens. Canarsie/Flatlands in BK is another almost wholly black middle class section of the city and probably will stay that way for a good long time due to poor subway access and distance.
You think ppl still care about distance?

Tell that to anybody in Staten Island that takes public transportation to Manhattan.

And yes, Northeast will go back to how it was 2010-2012 unfortunately for a hot minute. But it will turn around good fast.

Old 10-05-2018, 05:05 PM

93,414 posts, read 124,120,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post

What is the status of middle class parts of the NE Bronx?

Old 10-05-2018, 07:31 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,990,209 times
Quote:

The city is ultimately planning on subsidizing commuter railroad trips that begin and end in NYC. There's a trial on the Atlantic LIRR. As this goes to all LIRR and Metro North trips in the city, it will be areas close to Metro North Stations that take off. Wakefield does have Metro North service and so does Woodlawn and a lot of people would take those trains with cheaper service. Basically you're right but it's going to be commuter railroads that give these places a big boost as the 2 train has too many stops.

But South Bronx will continue to economically develop so that will ultimately help.

Old 10-05-2018, 08:06 PM

3,210 posts, read 4,615,663 times
Quote:
You think ppl still care about distance?

Tell that to anybody in Staten Island that takes public transportation to Manhattan.

And yes, Northeast will go back to how it was 2010-2012 unfortunately for a hot minute. But it will turn around good fast.
People live in SI for the suburban feel and dare I say because it's the last white ethnic stronghold. Just like Jamaicans, Mexicans, Pakistanis have "their" area it's [SI] the last real "Italian" area. The PT thing is simply because driving into Manhattan is untenable for most.

NE Bronx isn't really super urban beyond the WPR corridor to draw gentry types. Same reason places like Canarsie or Bensonhurst also probably won't gentrify in BK nor many areas in Southern/Eastern Queens. Distance does matter for people who have choices. For the time it takes to get the 2 from Gun Hill to Midtown someone could live along the Metro-North in one of those charming Westchester villages and have the same access to the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City