Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2018, 06:51 AM

93,299 posts, read 123,941,088 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MemoryMaker View Post
As most already know, Southeast Queens is the largest black middle class region in NYC.

I can see working-class Hispanics eventually becoming the majority in SE Queens (Jamaica, South Jamaica and Springfield Gardens has already started having large increases in Hispanics).

SE Queens is not convenient enough to Manhattan to become desirable to hipsters, Manhattan commuters and other [mostly white] gentrifiers. I don't see the working-class ethnic whites who left the area 30-50 years ago coming back.

The true black middle class/upper middle class want larger homes with better schools so many of them [who want to remain in the state] have long been transitioning to Long Island and other suburbs; some of these places are even more easily commutable to Manhattan than Queens!

Some places on Long Island like North Valley Stream, North Baldwin, Lakeview and others are majority black and have median household incomes of well over $110,000; while Cambria Heights, Laurelton and Rosedale (the most affluent black areas in SE Queens) are around $85k per year (which is still far higher than the Queens average).
This...Some may also go to parts of places in Westchester or Rockland Counties such as southern Valhalla, Tuckahoe, western/NW New Rochelle, northern/eastern Mount Vernon, White Plains, Mamaroneck, northern Pelham, Nyack/South Nyack, Hillcrest, the Haverstraws, Pomona and Nanuet, among others.

Some may even go into Orange and Dutchess Counties, which when it was its own metro area, was one of the most integrated top 100 metro areas in the country, had the smallest Black-White per capita income gap and also had one of the highest Black median household incomes for top 100 metros in the country only behind Oxnard, DC, Honolulu and San Jose(the Poughkeepsie-Newburgh-Middletown metro was 5th as of 2012 census data). Just so people don't think I'm making that last part up(just weed out the micro and smaller metro areas): U.S. Median Black Household Income Metro Area Rank Based on ACS 2008-2012 data* It became a part of the NYC metro area in 2013.

You may even have some move well into Upstate to select suburbs or city neighborhoods as well. I know of a couple with roots in Bed-Stuy that lives in the Liverpool area north of Syracuse, for an example.

So, the Black middle class is just moving further out in many cases, if they stay in the area/state/Northeast.

Old 10-05-2018, 07:41 AM

34,088 posts, read 47,285,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
This...Some may also go to parts of places in Westchester or Rockland Counties such as southern Valhalla, Tuckahoe, western/NW New Rochelle, northern/eastern Mount Vernon, White Plains, Mamaroneck, northern Pelham, Nyack/South Nyack, Hillcrest, the Haverstraws, Pomona and Nanuet, among others.

Some may even go into Orange and Dutchess Counties, which when it was its own metro area, was one of the most integrated top 100 metro areas in the country, had the smallest Black-White per capita income gap and also had one of the highest Black median household incomes for top 100 metros in the country only behind Oxnard, DC, Honolulu and San Jose(the Poughkeepsie-Newburgh-Middletown metro was 5th as of 2012 census data). Just so people don't think I'm making that last part up(just weed out the micro and smaller metro areas): U.S. Median Black Household Income Metro Area Rank Based on ACS 2008-2012 data* It became a part of the NYC metro area in 2013.

You may even have some move well into Upstate to select suburbs or city neighborhoods as well. I know of a couple with roots in Bed-Stuy that lives in the Liverpool area north of Syracuse, for an example.

So, the Black middle class is just moving further out in many cases, if they stay in the area/state/Northeast.
Mount Vernon is going to be the new Black mecca, 15 years.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 10-05-2018, 07:58 AM

1,712 posts, read 2,907,683 times
I think well-off blacks are becoming smarter too.

Many blacks are integrating into white neighborhoods because they know that their homes will hold their value better and appreciate more (since their homes will appeal to a greater pool of buyers).

There's some good black areas in the NY metro but unfortunately, most of them are undervalued compared to white areas of similar affluence. That's less wealth to pass down to future generations.

Old 10-05-2018, 08:12 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,972,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MemoryMaker View Post
I think well-off blacks are becoming smarter too.

Many blacks are integrating into white neighborhoods because they know that their homes will hold their value better and appreciate more (since their homes will appeal to a greater pool of buyers).

There's some good black areas in the NY metro but unfortunately, most of them are undervalued compared to white areas of similar affluence. That's less wealth to pass down to future generations.
For middle class Black homeowners in Harlem and Bedstuy there was no need to do anything. A lot of whites and other non Blacks have moved in. And those areas are going up in price due to demand.

Old 10-05-2018, 08:30 AM

329 posts, read 204,240 times
It's interesting to see blacks moving from blue states to mostly conservative red states.

Old 10-05-2018, 08:40 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,972,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry88 View Post
It's interesting to see blacks moving from blue states to mostly conservative red states.
Not really. Most African Americans are from the South for obvious historical reasons. Most just left the South post WW2 when the mechanization reduced the need for the rural labor force. Most still have family in the South (distant relatives in many cases, but many still have people they know).

Not everything people do is "red" or "blue" and please leave politics out of this.

Old 10-05-2018, 08:54 AM

1,712 posts, read 2,907,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
For middle class Black homeowners in Harlem and Bedstuy there was no need to do anything. A lot of whites and other non Blacks have moved in. And those areas are going up in price due to demand.
True: Black homeowners in hotspots like Harlem and Bed-Stuy did indeed luck out due to gentrification (at least the ones who could keep up with the COL increases).

However, I should've specified that what I mentioned about middle-income black areas generally being somewhat riskier investments due to *comparatively* less demand was only applicable to suburban and outer-city areas; since the chances of these areas becoming hip and trendy hotspot areas prone to heavy gentrification is next to zero.

Old 10-05-2018, 09:28 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,043,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 908Boi View Post
I think the future of Black New Yorker is AA/Caribbean will be replaced by Africans.
I'm in agreement. I think the future of blacks in nyc are black Latinos, black Caribbeans and Africans.

Old 10-05-2018, 09:29 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,043,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry88 View Post
The red States are cheaper, but not that much cheaper. Atlanta as a city had reached its peak. The other large black city is a Houston.

Old 10-05-2018, 09:36 AM

93,299 posts, read 123,941,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Mount Vernon is going to be the new Black mecca, 15 years.
It don't know about all of that, but it does offer high density(is a top 100 municipality in population density) in a predominantly Black setting(about 2/3rds) and has middle class areas in parts of the city. So, that can appeal to some individuals and families, if they are open to private school options or get into select public school programs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City