Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2019, 09:08 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,723,110 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapikap View Post
Look, you here in the news,every year, of how someone just killing the ot, where hours worked showed no way they could have went home to sleep. For 52 weeks a year!

So top earners making 2to3 hundred odd dollars, retiring at $150,000 per year for life!

Not even going to get into the 3/4 disability racket.

The average Joe with a non city pension gets to retire, collect and work elsewhere if so desired.

But this trickery that has a long standing tradition ....
Aren't you a big De Blasio defender? Do you realize that he's grown the public worker ranks more than any other mayor in at least 30 years? Because of him, every resident of NYC will be on the hook for huge pension obligations down the line, and by and large these are workers we DID NOT NEED.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2019, 09:14 PM

725 posts, read 805,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
I pay into my pension, social security and medical. What difference can you point to between that and what you just said regarding social security and medicare?
I said anyone who works for government should not be allowed to vote nor anyone who receives government benefits they didn’t pay for. By that I mean people on welfare (not citizens who do pay into social security and Medicare via payroll taxes).

Last edited by john620; 07-15-2019 at 09:38 PM..

Old 07-15-2019, 09:17 PM

19,051 posts, read 13,968,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john620 View Post
I said anyone who works for government should not be allowed to vote nor anyone who receives government benefits they didn’t pay for. By that I mean people on welfare (not those who do pay into social security and Medicare via payroll taxes).
I know what you said. So again, what’s the difference between a government worker who pays into all those plans and anyone else collecting who paid into those plans?

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 07-15-2019, 09:25 PM

5,860 posts, read 3,299,469 times
As I always say take the test. Otherwise stop complaining. I worked nights, weekends, holidays and cancelled days off. I arrested bad people that would do nothing but hurt the residents of NYC. Put myself at risk. Lost half a lung after 9/11. Probably have a lower life expectancy than most people. So now I am enjoying my retirement which I earned every penny with zero apologies!

Old 07-15-2019, 09:27 PM

725 posts, read 805,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
I know what you said. So again, what’s the difference between a government worker who pays into all those plans and anyone else collecting who paid into those plans?
The government worker is paid for with taxpayer funds so all his benefits that he pays into come at the expense of citizens who pay for it.

Old 07-16-2019, 06:24 AM

80 posts, read 116,040 times
Don’t be hating. I only got 5 years in with the city but you better bet I’m gonna do the same.

Old 07-16-2019, 06:31 AM

1,421 posts, read 1,943,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapikap View Post
Look, you here in the news,every year, of how someone just killing the ot, where hours worked showed no way they could have went home to sleep. For 52 weeks a year!

So top earners making 2to3 hundred odd dollars, retiring at $150,000 per year for life!

Not even going to get into the 3/4 disability racket.

The average Joe with a non city pension gets to retire, collect and work elsewhere if so desired.

But this trickery that has a long standing tradition ....
The thing is you are generalizing that all government workers make a killing on overtime, which is idiotic. The guys you see on the news are the outliers, they represent a minority of the workforce. The media loves to put government workers on blast to sell papers.

I have been a civil servant for 11+ years....I have had no more than 100 hours of overtime over those 11 years. Overtime really depends on the title, agency, department and supervisor you work for.

Last edited by nyccs; 07-16-2019 at 06:53 AM..

Old 07-16-2019, 06:33 AM

1,421 posts, read 1,943,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
First of all, does this post have a destination, or are we merely on an excursion?

Next only certain city/local and state civil servants qualify for OT padding as you call it; and even those numbers have been reduced. It really depends upon what tier you are hired under. Right now they're up to "Tier 6" which is vastly different than I,II, III from say fathers, grandfathers or even great-grandfathers time.

https://osc.state.ny.us/retire/emplo...s_benefits.php

Most of the guys/people you hear about bailing with "padded" pensions were hired 20 or more years ago, things have changed. Your average NYC office worker ain't pulling down $$$$ as a pension. In fact IIRC most barely crack $30k which is why many still are living in the projects or whatever in retirement. It's only the uniformed services, MTA and a few others (again subject to when they hired), that pull in big money.

Furthermore have been hearing this sort of moaning for much of my adult life and it is getting boring. Tests were announced and open to everyone. Whole lot of people had better things to do out of HS or college and things didn't go as planned; now they're crying because someone else who put in their time is getting a taste.

Senior year of HS right through early years of college plenty of guys fathers, grandfathers, uncles or whatever made sure they took various civil service exams (FDNY, NYPD, DSNY, Court Officer, Port Authority, etc....), and or the guys just did it themselves. After that was done they just waited until called, and if they got in did what they had to do.

Fast forward twenty to thirty years later all the high flaunting guys who looked down on other guys who were "just" FDNY, or NYPD are finding out life can be harsh.

Plenty don't have pensions, got wiped out during the various recessions/fiscal/Wall Street meltdowns... Guys who worked for Lehman and plenty of other brokerages/trading places that no longer even exist are having to readjust how they are living currently, *and* retirement.
Agreed. I only decided to got into the public sector because of the pension and job security. Otherwise, I would be working in private sector like the majority. Private sector generally pays more than public sector work.

Last edited by nyccs; 07-16-2019 at 06:41 AM..

Old 07-16-2019, 06:51 AM

425 posts, read 391,808 times
Newer tiers cap how much overtime is counted in the pension. That doesn't stop ridiculous OT, but at least it isn't rolled into their retirement. OMB would rather pay overtime than hire new staff, so be it.

I would totally take the 3x match since I max out both the 457 and 401k.

Old 07-16-2019, 07:23 AM

31,910 posts, read 26,989,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john620 View Post
The government worker is paid for with taxpayer funds so all his benefits that he pays into come at the expense of citizens who pay for it.
Can you hear yourself?

When you buy a Ford, Mercedes-Benz or any other vehicle made by a union shop, you're paying into people's pensions. Ditto when you fly on a plane, shop for groceries, make a telephone call, watch FIOS, or whatever else that has a union behind it, and or the company offers a pension.

Yeah civil servants get part of their pension funded by "taxes", but they also contribute so come down off your high horse.

Everybody likes to point the finger, but when your house is on fire, you're mugged, your kids need educating, or whatever else you expect someone to answer that call.

Furthermore as with every single other fringe benefit offered to employees, pensions come in lieu of wage increases. Study up on things and you'll find out healthcare and pensions began being offered by employers in part to get around wage caps, especially during WWII period.

State and local governments get themselves into trouble by refusing to give decent wage increases for some civil servants, but turn around and make pension promises. Who's fault is that? Elected officials do this because it kicks the can down the road. By time stuff hits the fan those currently in office will have moved on or up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: