Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2019, 04:48 PM

31,910 posts, read 26,989,302 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Queens? Lol

Are you drinking today?

(I am lol)
Nah, tomorrow, heading out to some BBQ's on SI then down to Jersey Shore.

Was invited out to a few places on SI for late swim/BBQ, but those moes on SI are too fierce for me to be out there at night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2019, 06:53 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,723,110 times
not this thread again.

Every few months we get one - yes its been said forever by normal people and idiots alike. Yes they are only talking about Manhattan and no Manhattan isn't the only part of NYC

Old 07-20-2019, 07:15 PM

11,638 posts, read 12,709,490 times
This expression has been around forever. Even my grandparents used it and they were born in the 19th century and lived in Brooklyn.

Old 07-21-2019, 12:35 AM

1,405 posts, read 2,451,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Many are unaware but Brooklyn was not only its own independent city prior to the consolidation that created "New York City" with its five boroughs. Indeed before this Brooklyn was in the top five (IIRC) urban areas of the United States.

Brooklyn didn't need Manhattan. It has plenty of its own industries, farming, waterfront, and most importantly unlike Manhattan it was attached to mainland USA. Brooklyn thus had easier access to the rich farm areas of Long Island (which when you get down to it includes Queens), and so forth.

Many Brooklyn residents had bitter harsh feelings over their "city" being gobbled up into "NYC". Those divisions lasted years after the consolidation, and in some cases right up to modern times. Thus many are quite happy that Brooklyn is now coming back into its own after years of being seen as second fiddle to Manhattan.

So yes, the "city" would refer to Manhattan, but Brooklyn was its own city as well, but no one referred to it that way.

Brooklyn also had the Dodgers, and thus didn't need Manhttan's "Giants" baseball team.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Histor...ooklyn_Dodgers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9q-tey2a7PE
As a proud Brooklynite I must say I love when people know the history of the borough. It had an identity before 1898 and It still has it today. I also love how Brooklyn was the last piece to the puzzle.

But literally only the Bronx is connected to the mainland lol.

Furthermore I mostly hear older natives refer to manhattan as the city still. Most millennials just specify where in manhattan we're going. SoHo, the Village, Midtown etc. But it's def not a transplant thing to refer to Manhattan as the city.

Old 07-21-2019, 06:35 AM

31,910 posts, read 26,989,302 times
Don't know what I was on about thinking Long Island is connected to mainland, and thus be extension Queens and Brooklyn.

As for the millennials don't know much about NYC, which is why they are always asking about if certain neighborhoods are safe. *LOL*

Old 07-21-2019, 07:52 AM

275 posts, read 572,510 times
I’m a Brooklyn native & always called any trip to Manhattan going to ‘the city’. Now I take the train to the city to get to work every day.

Old 07-21-2019, 09:08 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,084,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
I remember this thread 10 years ago
Nothing changes.

Old 07-21-2019, 10:51 AM

6,222 posts, read 3,600,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Don't know what I was on about thinking Long Island is connected to mainland, and thus be extension Queens and Brooklyn.

As for the millennials don't know much about NYC, which is why they are always asking about if certain neighborhoods are safe. *LOL*
And boomers often assume neighborhoods are the same as they were in 1990

Old 07-22-2019, 07:56 AM

6,191 posts, read 7,358,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
Just a question - why is it that every other transplant says, "I'm going to the city" - meaning when they come into Manhattan from let's say, Brooklyn? As I understand it, "The City" is all five boroughs not just Manhattan.

Someone - who's not even from the US was actually telling me that, "the city" is only Manhattan. I disagree, and I'd never say, "Im leaving the city" when I go to Brooklyn, the Bronx or Queens.
I grew up here and so did almost every other single person that I know and we all say "the city" in terms of Manhattan. No one ever said, "I'm going to Manhattan today." I think transplants would do the opposite until they hear other people saying it and then follow along.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
I remember this thread 10 years ago
I think there was one in the past couple of months.

Old 07-22-2019, 09:56 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,038,460 times
I know some people who grew up in Inwood and think that it's the Bronx, not Manhattan. It probably has more in common with the Bronx than most of Manhattan..but it's obviously on Manhattan Island.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City