Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2019, 02:19 PM

6,688 posts, read 6,033,238 times

Advertisements

Just a question - why is it that every other transplant says, "I'm going to the city" - meaning when they come into Manhattan from let's say, Brooklyn? As I understand it, "The City" is all five boroughs not just Manhattan.

Someone - who's not even from the US was actually telling me that, "the city" is only Manhattan. I disagree, and I'd never say, "Im leaving the city" when I go to Brooklyn, the Bronx or Queens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2019, 02:26 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,600,729 times
It started a suburbanite thing and has since spread to Brooklyn and Queens

I think context matters though, "the city" can mean either Manhattan below 110th street or it can be all 5 boroughs.

Old 07-19-2019, 02:32 PM

3,402 posts, read 3,576,183 times
Yea...pretty much when people say they are heading to the city, it means Manhattan.

Old 07-19-2019, 02:34 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,616,935 times
Depends on who you interact with I guess. The only person I know at this point that refers to only Manhattan as the city and not the other 5 boroughs is a friend of mine whom was born in Italy, moved here when he was 2, and left last year to go live in London. I generally don't trust his opinions of the city though as he says Kew Gardens is a bad neighborhood having lived there (what?), you need to own a car in NYC (what?!), and his favorite pizza place is some random place in Carrol Gardens despite never have gone in his over 25 years living in/near NYC to DiFara, L&B Spumonis, or the many other ones that I'd think deserve a shot at the name.

I still meet people from Jersey who think Downtown is 'far' from Midtown though, yet will go to Flushing, Williamsburg, and Westchester... lol!

Old 07-19-2019, 02:38 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,600,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javawood View Post
Depends on who you interact with I guess. The only person I know at this point that refers to only Manhattan as the city and not the other 5 boroughs is a friend of mine whom was born in Italy, moved here when he was 2, and left last year to go live in London. I generally don't trust his opinions of the city though as he says Kew Gardens is a bad neighborhood having lived there (what?), you need to own a car in NYC (what?!), and his favorite pizza place is some random place in Carrol Gardens despite never have gone in his over 25 years living in/near NYC to DiFara, L&B Spumonis, or the many other ones that I'd think deserve a shot at the name.

I still meet people from Jersey who think Downtown is 'far' from Midtown though, yet will go to Flushing, Williamsburg, and Westchester... lol!
Your friend needs his NYC card revoked

Old 07-19-2019, 02:43 PM

1,567 posts, read 906,930 times
That's been in the vernacular forever. Anywhere outside the city people say "going to the city."

Growing up "in the city" we used to tell the Brooklynites that they did not live in "New York City" that NYC is Manhattan, the borough of N.Y. We were only halfway busting their balls. This goes as far back as I remember. Older guys from the Village or the East Side if asked by a Brooklynite where they were from would reply, "New York."

Old 07-19-2019, 02:51 PM

41 posts, read 39,284 times
I grew up in the Bronx, we would say we were “going to the city” to mean Manhattan.

Old 07-19-2019, 02:55 PM

34,096 posts, read 47,293,896 times
I remember this thread 10 years ago

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 07-19-2019, 03:46 PM

19,049 posts, read 13,964,273 times
This isn’t a transplant thing. We always said “the city”. I used to work “in the city”. I hate “the city”. Wait, that one means all 5 boros sorry lol.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 07-19-2019, 05:48 PM

31,909 posts, read 26,979,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
It started a suburbanite thing and has since spread to Brooklyn and Queens

I think context matters though, "the city" can mean either Manhattan below 110th street or it can be all 5 boroughs.
Not really...

Myself, friends, family and countless others from Staten Island past and present refer to Manhattan as the "city".

If someone from SI says they are going "into the city" we know they mean Manhattan.

Ditto if someone says they want a ride to "the city", works in "the city", or whatever else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City