Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2019, 09:44 PM

1,376 posts, read 1,203,308 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
I'm never getting rid of my cable. I'm paying for the convenience to not have 50 separate places to sign in to watch stuff. It's convenient for my family too. Just as there are channels I never watch, there are websites I never go to as well. I pay about $220 a month for Fios triple play and I have every channel, 75/75.
Same here. We do alot if channel surfing to find new content, use the dvr to record and hit on demand to binge shows we missed. We dont want to have to keep track of what shows are on when or where to find them. Seems like too much scheduling and life is just too short. For us its worth oaying for the convenience of flipping channels. I know plenty of people cant afford the luxury though and we dont take it for granted. it is great that there are now so many other options for streaming shows without cable. I learn about new options all the time but the fam is just too lazy to cut the cable or fiber optics that is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2019, 11:10 PM

3,861 posts, read 3,153,772 times
Get an internet only account,

*use bootleg streaming websites to watch shows and movies.

* get ruko with fubo tv subscription. And cast bootleg website content!

Old 09-19-2019, 11:11 PM

3,861 posts, read 3,153,772 times
Switch internet account name every 2 years for promo rates.

Old 09-20-2019, 05:21 AM

43,669 posts, read 44,406,521 times
I have never subscribed to cable TV. I do have cable internet. For TV I just watch over the air/via antenna channels. Since the conversion from analog to digital signals, I lost reception of channel 7/ABC, channel 11/WB and channel 13/PBS. But more and more other channels have been added and after rescanning and moving my home antenna around a bit I can usually see most of them without problem.

PBS I can watch over the internet either via a computer or my smart TV the day after most programs have aired and that is good enough for me.

Old 09-20-2019, 03:44 PM

555 posts, read 617,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoullessOne View Post
LMAO!!

Having cable is like having an AOL account....meaning you can tell their age just by the services they have.

The same way folks found out back in the day how to get free music via Kazza, Napster or LimeWire is the same way they figured out to get free TV today by using Bittorrent + VPN + Plex.

All commercial free in 1080p and 5.1 sound when you want it.

that's kind of silly, I did the math when I moved into my new place and getting all the streaming services + internet would have saved me a grand total of $15 per month, along with not having the Yankees or Knicks.

I'll gladly pay the extra $15 for sports and the convenience. Cutting the cord isn't at a place where it's convenient enough, not if you have to have 4 different services. I still have my roku's for streaming from my PC... but i can't imagine having to go into 4-5 different apps.

Old 09-20-2019, 04:37 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,677,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bxlover View Post
Too expensive imo. I know many people have done some creative things to eliminate cable costs. What have some of you done ? I have heard of the " Fire Box ". What tips you got...
Not sure what you mean. If you want to eliminate cable costs, just stop the cable. There is much more on broadcast TV than there used to be a decade ago.

Old 09-20-2019, 05:31 PM

1,486 posts, read 989,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiep83 View Post
that's kind of silly, I did the math when I moved into my new place and getting all the streaming services + internet would have saved me a grand total of $15 per month, along with not having the Yankees or Knicks.

I'll gladly pay the extra $15 for sports and the convenience. Cutting the cord isn't at a place where it's convenient enough, not if you have to have 4 different services. I still have my roku's for streaming from my PC... but i can't imagine having to go into 4-5 different apps.
Most people don't know what they are doing and will just use apps and services and at the end of the day it will equal up to get about the same price as paying for TV service.

For those who know how to do it, its just 1 free app (Bittorrent client) that's set to automatically download what you want, 1 $4 a month app (Nord VPN) to hide your internet traffic so you do not get copy right infringement notices, and another free app (Plex) that automatically scrapes the information and displays it in a nice GUI like Netflix.

So in reality I only pay $4 a month to watch whatever I want and I even get to see stuff in Bluray quality before it hits streaming services and store shelves due to screeners and over seas release. The best part is......I can watch it where ever I want as long as I have an internet connection.

Old 09-20-2019, 06:03 PM

2,983 posts, read 1,167,096 times
All these streaming services are starting to add up in cost!! also no one really cuts the cord you still need cable for your internet!

Old 09-20-2019, 06:35 PM

555 posts, read 617,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoullessOne View Post
Most people don't know what they are doing and will just use apps and services and at the end of the day it will equal up to get about the same price as paying for TV service.

For those who know how to do it, its just 1 free app (Bittorrent client) that's set to automatically download what you want, 1 $4 a month app (Nord VPN) to hide your internet traffic so you do not get copy right infringement notices, and another free app (Plex) that automatically scrapes the information and displays it in a nice GUI like Netflix.

So in reality I only pay $4 a month to watch whatever I want and I even get to see stuff in Bluray quality before it hits streaming services and store shelves due to screeners and over seas release. The best part is......I can watch it where ever I want as long as I have an internet connection.

I use Nord for $3 a month =D.

yes I know about the underground stuff, but for people that want to do things legally cutting the cord isn't that simple.

Also even with Nord & torrenting, I still have cable b/c I don't want to have to DL everything I want to watch. there's something to be said for just sitting down and turning on a TV.

Old 09-20-2019, 06:52 PM

1,486 posts, read 989,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RICANRICAN View Post
All these streaming services are starting to add up in cost!! also no one really cuts the cord you still need cable for your internet!
The internet is more and more considered a utility like water, gas or electricity. In this modern age it is hard to function without Internet (Cable or Fios).

The cost of internet can also be split among neighbors.
Have you ever looked on the outside of a building and saw a cable exiting the apartment window and either going into a different apartment on the floor below or the apartment next to it? That's the internet cable all the second person needs is a router configured in AP client mode and they have full internet in their apartment too. TV services is a little harder to "share". It limits it only next door neighbors on the same floor because you have to go into the hallway, open the race track with all the cables find the one that going into their apartment. On the inside of their apartment the Coax cable is usually attached with a splitter right above the door (if their apartment was pre wired for cable TV). In the apartment with service (donor) replace the splitter with a new splitter that have an additional output and connect a new coax cable running back to the neighbor (recipient) splitter usually above their door inside the apartment. Of course they will need to get cable boxes and remotes for each room they want TV in but that only $10 a month for equipment rental as opposed to rental fees + service fee.

Ive seen some pretty insane "sharing" in my days lol and with the new Mesh WIFI network routers that are out there like Netgear Orbi, Google WIFI, or TPLink Deco they don't need to run a cable anymore, just plug in enter username and password to the network and you're up and running as long as you are in WIFI range of another unit that on the same network.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiep83 View Post
I use Nord for $3 a month =D.

yes I know about the underground stuff, but for people that want to do things legally cutting the cord isn't that simple.

Also even with Nord & torrenting, I still have cable b/c I don't want to have to DL everything I want to watch. there's something to be said for just sitting down and turning on a TV.

I sit down and turn on the TV too...…..right to Plex lol.
Last week I was watching Hobbs and Shaw....friends wanting to know how I got it cause its so clear and good sound. I didn't even want to explain it cause I knew they would want me to set it up for them and if anything goes wrong with it they would come back to me to fix it so I just laughed it off and side stepped the question lol.

Last edited by SoullessOne; 09-20-2019 at 07:04 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: