Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will you comply with a city issued shelter in place order?
Yes 132 74.16%
No 46 25.84%
Voters: 178. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2020, 09:57 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,124,630 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
I use hand sanitizers in case I touch my face accidentally with my hands during a workout. What good would gloves do me besides being uncomfortable and slippery.
I think just using high percentage rubbing alcohol works in place of the gel sanitizers, since theres a shortage. Its great to wipe down the cell phones too. I think many forget that one.

Old 03-11-2020, 11:47 AM

5,662 posts, read 2,602,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
I think just using high percentage rubbing alcohol works in place of the gel sanitizers, since theres a shortage. Its great to wipe down the cell phones too. I think many forget that one.
I have always wiped down my cell phone each night before I shower. I plug it in at night near my bed so often look at it while laying in bed. The thought of a dirty phone that's been who knows where in my bed

I sincerely hope this virus teaches people better hygiene habits and about cleanliness.

Old 03-11-2020, 12:17 PM

1,871 posts, read 4,264,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfc99 View Post
The Wuhan Virus outbreak goes against one of the great false beliefs of liberals and progressives, that population density is good for you. Disease spreads quickly through crowded areas. This virus is also showing that maybe cities are not really necessary in the age of high-speed internet connections.
I've never heard of "liberals" saying that population density itself is "good for you". It just so happens that cities *tend* to be places where citizens aren't bigoted, narrow minded, scared and ignorant and so naturally they are popular places to be.

However, there are plenty of rural areas where that is also true. Stop trying to politicize a natural event.

Old 03-11-2020, 01:01 PM

6,636 posts, read 2,956,027 times
people don't tend to live in cities because it is some egalitarian paradise.

They go for the money. Businesses prosper, lotta traffic,the ports, lotta convenience. Lotta money to be made or begged for.

Old 03-11-2020, 01:42 PM

2,314 posts, read 1,148,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barkomatic View Post
I've never heard of "liberals" saying that population density itself is "good for you". It just so happens that cities *tend* to be places where citizens aren't bigoted, narrow minded, scared and ignorant and so naturally they are popular places to be.

However, there are plenty of rural areas where that is also true. Stop trying to politicize a natural event.

Many liberals say that population density is better for environmental reasons. Spread out 1 and 2 family homes are bad, crowded apartment buildings are good. A virus will spread faster through a neighborhood of apartment buildings than it will through a neighborhood of 1 and 2 family homes.

Old 03-11-2020, 02:42 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfc99 View Post
Many liberals say that population density is better for environmental reasons. Spread out 1 and 2 family homes are bad, crowded apartment buildings are good. A virus will spread faster through a neighborhood of apartment buildings than it will through a neighborhood of 1 and 2 family homes.
You’re right. Plus once they were aware of the epidemic in China governments around the world should have banned non essential travel.

You also forgot the extra crowded subways and buses.

It’s why universities are now canceling classes and why people are working remotely if possible. Anything to reduce unnecessary contact.

With that said food and supplies come in and out of small towns. So any disease in a city, will eventually make its way to small towns. Government action such as quarantines, testing, and treatment can slow the spread at this is important.

Btw, people in small towns still go to grocery stores and there is risk there. Ditto other stores.

Old 03-11-2020, 02:47 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
POTUS is very MUCH to blame. His moronic goal is to justify his goofy "feelings" ("I feel we will have a very light infection rate" or "I HEARD there was only one case") caused him to restrict testing: fewer tests, fewer confirmed cases of Covid.
The dangerous idiot seems willing to cause a genocide to prove his "FEELINGS" right.
De Blasio could have asked the Port Authority to cancel flights out of places like China. He did not. While federal response was lackluster, so was the city response. And now the city will have to deal with the economic fallout.

Old 03-11-2020, 02:55 PM

4,194 posts, read 4,077,595 times
My meter reading was today and Con Ed never showed up. The last time they missed a reading was in 2012 after Superstorm Sandy when power was still out. I wonder if it’s a coincidence or if Con Ed didn’t want their meter readers going into homes because of the virus.

Old 03-11-2020, 03:10 PM

3,730 posts, read 3,461,317 times
China shuts down 16 temporary hospitals due to improving conditions

New York Post : China shuts all 16 temporary coronavirus hospitals in Wuhan.
https://nypost.com/2020/03/11/china-...tals-in-wuhan/

Old 03-11-2020, 03:13 PM

3,730 posts, read 3,461,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
De Blasio could have asked the Port Authority to cancel flights out of places like China. He did not. While federal response was lackluster, so was the city response. And now the city will have to deal with the economic fallout.
I'm the last person to defend debladio for anything but that's not how it works.
The port authority is a bi-state agency. The governor of NY and NJ would have to "ask" port authority for anything.

Second, the port authority has no authority to tell airports which flights to accept or not. That's the FAA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City