Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2021, 04:38 PM

5,665 posts, read 2,607,361 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by islanders2021 View Post
[/b]

Not surprisingly, you don't own property. If ya did, ya'd know it ain't that easy. Keep renting.
I will keep renting. Renting provides me the freedom I want. You keep owning and complaining about how your neighborhood has changed. Either accept it or move.

Old 12-28-2021, 04:50 PM

4,294 posts, read 4,426,532 times
Not for nothing but the groups of people coming to NYC for the past 20 years have been the lamest group in my lifetime to inhabit the city. They added very little. Actually the "illegals" add a lot more flavor to the city than the other Americans moving from other states. I would cringe walking around the city seeing these little fairytale set-ups like some movie script. It added nothing to the city.

NYC has always been welcoming to people that add something to the city. Long beards and vegan soap doesn't cut it as a contribution. Red Lobster may not survive after all

Don't try to mold NYC. Accept it for what it is or move on.

I Love/Hate NYC primarily because I miss the good times I had there during the 70/80's. I am bitter that we lost that vibe. It meant everything to me.

Old 12-28-2021, 07:30 PM

3,559 posts, read 2,398,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberSurfer123 View Post
This whole thing going on is just too much anymore. Is anybody else thoroughly sad about what has happened to the city? Is anybody else going to do the Florida or Texas move? The last topic about people fleeing the city was removed. Can this discussion continue with some maturity?
NYC is now at 8.8 million people and y’all are still pushing the leave NYC agenda. What do you get out of this? Please tell me?

Old 12-29-2021, 03:49 AM

11,774 posts, read 5,787,833 times
Each state has both right and left leaning residents. Unfortunately, the majority rules but that doesn't make the other residents not love their cities and states. It's kind of hard to make changes when one party has the majority. We just saw that in California when despite all the BS - the liberals stuck with Newsome over someone who may very well have made changes to benefit them.

I love NY - not so much the snow anymore but it's my birthplace, I enjoy what it has to offer, the beautiful scenery, how close everything is and the benefits for seniors but ... I don't enjoy the taxes, the rules and regulations that are applied to law abiding citizens but not criminals.

It's not we who voice our opinions but you who choose to live like sheep - blinded to what is destroying the state who need to wake up and help make changes. Criminals are receiving a get out of jail pass with appearance tickets while 6 officers are needed to check a child's vax card. We have people working 2 and three jobs to afford living in NYC while we're housing derelicts in fancy hotels. Does not one of these things cause you concern? Maybe you are so removed from these situations because you have money to live in better parts of town, not use mass transit ect where trouble exits. NY has become another California where it's OK for thee but not for me. Your rich and politicians make these rules to benefit the poor and illegals while never considering the impact on the poor and middleclass residents. Hopefully you'll all walk a day in their shoes so you can experience what they do with concerns for your welfare and safety. We've already seen in the Great Depression how those with money would kill themselves rather than live below what they were accustomed to and I think many of you would too. It's easy to ignore what average residents endure when you don't experience it.

Let enough of us leave and you'll feel the burden of higher taxes, you'll feel the insecurity and worry about your safety - but then it will be too late.

NYC will never implode but it might resemble the city in Escape from NY

Old 12-29-2021, 04:02 AM

786 posts, read 485,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sSitcom View Post
I will keep renting. Renting provides me the freedom I want. You keep owning and complaining about how your neighborhood has changed. Either accept it or move.
Its been accepted long ago. No problems there. Just waiting for that $1M Chinese offer. Market's been around $900K the last few years but I figure the more crime along with Eric Adams will drive the price up shortly. Then off to Florida or Vegas. Just like Ronnie The Limo Driver from the Howard Stern Show.

Ya hear!

Old 12-29-2021, 06:08 AM

7,759 posts, read 3,882,899 times
They unfortunately will be replaced with gullible recent grads trying to "make it" along with older washed up folks trying to buy property and have a "second wind" of life.

So the grinding machine still will have plenty to eat.

Old 12-29-2021, 06:11 AM

7,759 posts, read 3,882,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYC View Post
I would cringe walking around the city seeing these little fairytale set-ups like some movie script. It added nothing to the city.
On the contrary it boggles my mind these Midwestern transplants are OK with lines and lines of empty storefronts with graffiti on major avenues in Manhattan.

This is not what I grew up with in the 90s.

Where these hipsters come from didn't they have sprawling oulet malls and strips of stores?

Old 12-29-2021, 07:05 AM

16,029 posts, read 6,838,234 times
Over 350,000 have left N.Y.C. in 2021

Somewhere in there.......got to be one or two New Yorkers who said " To hell with this dictatorship! " ...... Ya think?

Old 12-29-2021, 07:59 AM

5,665 posts, read 2,607,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by islanders2021 View Post
Its been accepted long ago. No problems there. Just waiting for that $1M Chinese offer. Market's been around $900K the last few years but I figure the more crime along with Eric Adams will drive the price up shortly. Then off to Florida or Vegas. Just like Ronnie The Limo Driver from the Howard Stern Show.

Ya hear!
You don't accept it; you make you racist comments left and right and whine about how your neighborhood is now and not how it was in the 80's. Everyone knows who you are. You can keep coming back after getting banned but don't think your fooling anyone who you are.

Old 12-29-2021, 08:29 AM

621 posts, read 240,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
Each state has both right and left leaning residents. Unfortunately, the majority rules but that doesn't make the other residents not love their cities and states. It's kind of hard to make changes when one party has the majority. We just saw that in California when despite all the BS - the liberals stuck with Newsome over someone who may very well have made changes to benefit them.

I love NY - not so much the snow anymore but it's my birthplace, I enjoy what it has to offer, the beautiful scenery, how close everything is and the benefits for seniors but ... I don't enjoy the taxes, the rules and regulations that are applied to law abiding citizens but not criminals.

It's not we who voice our opinions but you who choose to live like sheep - blinded to what is destroying the state who need to wake up and help make changes. Criminals are receiving a get out of jail pass with appearance tickets while 6 officers are needed to check a child's vax card. We have people working 2 and three jobs to afford living in NYC while we're housing derelicts in fancy hotels. Does not one of these things cause you concern? Maybe you are so removed from these situations because you have money to live in better parts of town, not use mass transit ect where trouble exits. NY has become another California where it's OK for thee but not for me. Your rich and politicians make these rules to benefit the poor and illegals while never considering the impact on the poor and middleclass residents. Hopefully you'll all walk a day in their shoes so you can experience what they do with concerns for your welfare and safety. We've already seen in the Great Depression how those with money would kill themselves rather than live below what they were accustomed to and I think many of you would too. It's easy to ignore what average residents endure when you don't experience it.

Let enough of us leave and you'll feel the burden of higher taxes, you'll feel the insecurity and worry about your safety - but then it will be too late.

NYC will never implode but it might resemble the city in Escape from NY

You make some excellent points regarding the fall of NYC. And as a child of the 70s and 80s born and raised in NYC, I've seen this place in both worse shape and better shape. It's the cyclical nature of life and the people who live in the city. But keep in mind - NYC has always been a difficult place to live. There's always been a high amount of crime here, there's always been homeless people, and there are so many people who have worked 2 and 3 jobs just to say afloat. And yes, the political class here bears a lot of responsibility for the awful bail reform laws, the high taxes, and unbearable cost of housing. But NYC/NYS politics has always been a corrupt machine, going back to Tammany Hall.

I believe that much of the outcry is that the city population is browning...the diversity of the city is becoming too much to bear (at least for some posters here). People complain about NYC, San Fran, and LA - but these three cities (and surrounding metros) are largely responsible for the bulk of this country's creative and financial capital in spite of the draconian laws that city data posters lament.

"Let enough of us leave," you say. But where are you going? Everyone keeps talking about TX and FL in one breathe but complain about illegals. You haven't seen "illegals" until you visited these two states. America is browning. So I ask again, "where are you going?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: