Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2021, 09:13 AM

1,405 posts, read 2,451,621 times

Advertisements

Imagine leaving a place only to arrive at a new location that (could) change its policies just like the place from which you left. I’d be siiiickkk haha.

But you guys have fun. And don’t forget to take your kidss please!!!

Old 12-29-2021, 09:14 AM

5,689 posts, read 2,617,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuddedLeather View Post
And don’t forget to take your kidss please!!!
Yes

Old 12-29-2021, 09:21 AM

2,948 posts, read 1,262,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownpine View Post
You make some excellent points regarding the fall of NYC. And as a child of the 70s and 80s born and raised in NYC, I've seen this place in both worse shape and better shape. It's the cyclical nature of life and the people who live in the city. But keep in mind - NYC has always been a difficult place to live. There's always been a high amount of crime here, there's always been homeless people, and there are so many people who have worked 2 and 3 jobs just to say afloat. And yes, the political class here bears a lot of responsibility for the awful bail reform laws, the high taxes, and unbearable cost of housing. But NYC/NYS politics has always been a corrupt machine, going back to Tammany Hall.

I believe that much of the outcry is that the city population is browning...the diversity of the city is becoming too much to bear (at least for some posters here). People complain about NYC, San Fran, and LA - but these three cities (and surrounding metros) are largely responsible for the bulk of this country's creative and financial capital in spite of the draconian laws that city data posters lament.

"Let enough of us leave," you say. But where are you going? Everyone keeps talking about TX and FL in one breathe but complain about illegals. You haven't seen "illegals" until you visited these two states. America is browning. So I ask again, "where are you going?"
Has very little to do with race. Does it play a role for some people? Or course. In many cases it's not so much race as cultural differences.

The main reason people leave is financial and/or quality of life. Usually the two are tied. On the financial side it's either of two reasons, high taxes and/or not earning enough. Both are also tied at some level. With regard to quality of life issues, NYC has plenty just due to the sheer volume of residents and poor city management.

The "browning of NYC" just happens to coincide with the explosion in the welfare state? Maybe it's just a coincidence. Correlation is easy to claim as causation.

BTW, NYC was always more "diverse" than many parts of the US and residents live closer together even if there's a fair amount of neighborhood self segregation. Outside of NYC, people are separated by tens of miles. Here it's almost always less than a mile.

Even CA is way more segregated and less diverse than NYC. It's not even close.

Old 12-29-2021, 10:30 AM

621 posts, read 241,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esacni View Post
Has very little to do with race. Does it play a role for some people? Or course. In many cases it's not so much race as cultural differences.

Your logic doesn't hold - race and cultural differences are like hand and glove (or maybe hand in hand). So if you say it's more about cultural differences, then it must also be about race. I don't hold the two as mutually exclusive since race is just a social construct and doesn't exist in reality. So we do agree that race/cultural differences is a major driver for much of the boo-hooing about NYC.

The main reason people leave is financial and/or quality of life. Usually the two are tied. On the financial side it's either of two reasons, high taxes and/or not earning enough. Both are also tied at some level. With regard to quality of life issues, NYC has plenty just due to the sheer volume of residents and poor city management.

The "browning of NYC" just happens to coincide with the explosion in the welfare state? Maybe it's just a coincidence. Correlation is easy to claim as causation.

I can agree with you here. However, the welfare state has also coincided with relatively stable levels of inflation until recently b/c cheap labor allows goods and service providers to sell at a lower cost. YoY inflation exceed 3% only 9 times between 1990 and 2021 (31 years); the same time period where we've experienced unprecedented migration and job outsourcing.
[https://www.thebalance.com/u-s-infla...ecast-3306093]

BTW, NYC was always more "diverse" than many parts of the US and residents live closer together even if there's a fair amount of neighborhood self segregation. Outside of NYC, people are separated by tens of miles. Here it's almost always less than a mile.

There is tremendous amounts of segregation in NYC particularly in recent years. I lived in Queens most of my life so I'm used to diversity. But let's not mistake Queens for the rest of the city.

Even CA is way more segregated and less diverse than NYC. It's not even close.
CA is a state. NYC is a city. False comparison. But I get your point.

Old 12-29-2021, 11:05 AM

10,083 posts, read 14,458,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynJo View Post
NYC is now at 8.8 million people and y’all are still pushing the leave NYC agenda. What do you get out of this? Please tell me?
Right.

It's a handful of outspoken, disgruntled mostly right wing/conservative folks who despise the city.

I say move to Alabama, West Virginia, Arkansas, Texas, or whatever floats their boat. There are *plenty* of options in the US to please everyone.

NYC is growing and thriving post-COVID, despite the small group of anti-NYC folks' chatter.

Last edited by jjbradleynyc; 12-29-2021 at 11:23 AM..

Old 12-29-2021, 11:16 AM

34,104 posts, read 47,316,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
Right.

It's a handfull of outspoken, disgruntled mostly right wing/conservative folks who despise the city.

I say move to Alabama, West Virginia, Arkansas, Texas, or whatever floats their boat. There are *plenty* of options in the US to please everyone.

NYC is growing and thriving post-COVID, despite the small group of anti-NYC folks' chatter.
It costs a lot of money to move out of state. Those that are complaining about NYC are realizing this, hence the posts. In the past 2 years, I think my fellow MoD is the only regular poster on here who voiced his dislike for NY and actually moved.

I don't mind it anymore, let them complain. I find it entertaining to see how long they're able to keep it up.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 12-29-2021, 11:27 AM

10,083 posts, read 14,458,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
It costs a lot of money to move out of state. Those that are complaining about NYC are realizing this, hence the posts. In the past 2 years, I think my fellow MoD is the only regular poster on here who voiced his dislike for NY and actually moved.

I don't mind it anymore, let them complain. I find it entertaining to see how long they're able to keep it up.
Yeah, I get that. But it's absolutely doable.

Once they get to "their greener pastures," they'll save a TON of money, compared to living in the boroughs.

What's going to be interesting, is those folks that do move, the way they'll miss it more and more, as time passes. NYC is incredible, despite its flaws, and love it or hate it, it's a city that is always changing and growing.

Old 12-29-2021, 11:30 AM

34,104 posts, read 47,316,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
Yeah, I get that. But it's absolutely doable.

Once they get to "their greener pastures," they'll save a TON of money, compared to living in the boroughs.

What's going to be interesting, is those folks that do move, the way they'll miss it more and more, as time passes. NYC is incredible, despite its flaws, and love it or hate it, it's a city that is always changing and growing.
The trick is to take your NY money with you, if the money is still not flowing then its a problem.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 12-29-2021, 11:56 AM

2,731 posts, read 6,120,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
The irony of this is that when your kids grow up, its entirely likely that they--and many of their peers-- will want to ditch the burbs and move to New York City. The young still love this city and probably always will.
I always assumed that that would be true of my family. We would work our way out and they would head right back there but I was wrong. Not one of my grown nieces and nephews live in NYC.

Old 12-29-2021, 12:36 PM

2,948 posts, read 1,262,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownpine View Post
[color=blue]

Your logic doesn't hold - race and cultural differences are like hand and glove (or maybe hand in hand). So if you say it's more about cultural differences, then it must also be about race. I don't hold the two as mutually exclusive since race is just a social construct and doesn't exist in reality. So we do agree that race/cultural differences is a major driver for much of the boo-hooing about NYC.
Race has very little to do with culture. Those that obsess about race (and particularly in the US where there has always been a stark black-wgite divide) conflate race with culture.

I, as a Jew of eastern European origin, have more in common with West African and Chinese /Korean immigrants in the US than I do with non Jewish Eastern European immigrants.

Don't conflate ethnicity (what we call race in the US) and culture. People not front he US know what I'm referring to. There are plenty of homogeneous nations that have vastly different cultures according to the region you live in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: