Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2022, 05:07 PM

34,008 posts, read 47,240,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post
High income earners and brain drain out of NYC is real. I am happy to be on the other side of the border. Home values are going up outside of nyc
So are the taxes

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2022, 05:52 PM

19,027 posts, read 13,937,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
So are the taxes
I pay less than my friends with comparable sized homes in NYC… except my yard is .33 acres and I have all the street parking I need for the large parties we have. Oh and my garbage actually gets picked up on time every week.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 02-18-2022, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
I pay less than my friends with comparable sized homes in NYC… except my yard is .33 acres and I have all the street parking I need for the large parties we have. Oh and my garbage actually gets picked up on time every week.
You have more space because you don't live in a city.

We get it, NJ is the land of milk and honey

Old 02-18-2022, 06:28 PM

1,952 posts, read 1,299,077 times
Quote:

They way he talks about Jersey you would think he lived in a NYCHA building this side of the river. lol.

Old 02-18-2022, 06:31 PM

2,948 posts, read 1,257,375 times
Quote:

Not really. The parasitic and criminal classes drag this city into the gutter. It's a great city despite the millions of trash people who either don't contribute economically (when they're young and can) or engage in crime to lower the QOL.

Old 02-18-2022, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esacni View Post
Not really. The parasitic and criminal classes drag this city into the gutter. It's a great city despite the millions of trash people who either don't contribute economically (when they're young and can) or engage in crime to lower the QOL.
Has absolutely nothing to do with my post, but thanks for the predictable input

Old 02-18-2022, 06:59 PM

Quote:

But I pay less taxes too, which is relevant to your comment that people outside of NYC pay more. We all don’t. And those who do are usually happy to for the benefits provided in return. Aka, no trash.

Your utilities cost far more as well.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 02-18-2022, 07:04 PM

2,602 posts, read 1,205,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Mayor Eric Adams speculated this week that parents who’ve ditched the city and its public schools are likely to return as soon as Gotham gathers itself."

Old 02-18-2022, 07:08 PM

31,890 posts, read 26,926,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOVEROFNYC View Post
They way he talks about Jersey you would think he lived in a NYCHA building this side of the river. lol.
Some of you just don't have a single clue.

Those who live on SI, especially those that go back decades know the drill.

Property taxes on homes in NYC are comparatively low, but pubic school system leaves much to be desired.

Then there is fact spending nearly $600k or more doesn't get you much on SI, you're still living in a house with not much property attached. Yes, if you can find an older home in certain parts of the Rock, that could be different.

OTOH large swaths of NJ are like what SI used to be before that GD bridge and rampant over development took over.

You can find a nice house on decent sized lot with 1/2 or more acre of land. Large enough for a pool, space for your kids to play, events in back yard parties, bbqs, etc....

Yeah, people from Bronx, Queens and Brooklyn who have lived in apartments all their lives think much of SI is grand. Which is why they pay huge sums for what they get, and native Staten Islanders are happy to let them have at it.

Old 02-18-2022, 07:11 PM

They’re not cheaper anymore though.

I paid $8500 last year, and just recently received notice that it isn’t going up for 2022. My best friend owns a house in Richmondtown that is 100sq ft larger but has a yard about 1/3 the size of mine. He paid $9500 last year AND a city income tax.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City