Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2022, 07:41 PM

19,057 posts, read 13,973,458 times

Advertisements

Just sucks I still have to pay for Catholic school in NYC when they could be thriving here for free. Thank god I’m poor lol

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2022, 07:55 PM

31,910 posts, read 26,999,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Just sucks I still have to pay for Catholic school in NYC when they could be thriving here for free. Thank god I’m poor lol
IIRC your family goes back several generations on SI, so you obviously get it, OTOH many others don't.

Back in day you didn't have to send your kids to private or religious unless it was a personal choice. Local K-9 in most parts of SI were good to excellent. You just had to move into an area with good zoned schools.

Old 02-19-2022, 08:17 PM

206 posts, read 116,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
^ The way I see it, Asian immigrants are literally saving NYC from becoming a Detroit/Baltimore/Newark.
Them and the nyc financial sector hedgefunds/ wallstreet. They have deep pockets

Old 02-19-2022, 08:24 PM

Dun, dun, dun!

https://www.nydailynews.com/new-york...35e-story.html

Old 02-19-2022, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
IIRC your family goes back several generations on SI, so you obviously get it, OTOH many others don't.

Back in day you didn't have to send your kids to private or religious unless it was a personal choice. Local K-9 in most parts of SI were good to excellent. You just had to move into an area with good zoned schools.
My kids are the 4th generation of our family in the Catholic school they go to.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 02-19-2022, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
My kids are the 4th generation of our family in the Catholic school they go to.
Only thing hated about that is more than several times had teachers who knew at least one side of my family; parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles.... I couldn't get away with nothing... and my Old Man being a cagey sort never showed his hand. He let you cut just enough rope to hang yourself with before busting out with what he already knew....

But that was old school SI anyway. Someone always either knew your family directly or indirectly. Either way if you were seen someplace you shouldn't or whatever, word got back....

Old 02-20-2022, 07:07 AM

2,731 posts, read 6,120,324 times
We thought public school in NJ would be similar to Catholic School in NYC. It's not. I'd say most but the very best are riding on reputation. We moved our son to Catholic this year and I only wish we had done it sooner. The only good thing about NYC public school was the ability to test into better programs. If that's gone people aren't coming back.

Old 02-20-2022, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Eyes View Post
We thought public school in NJ would be similar to Catholic School in NYC. It's not. I'd say most but the very best are riding on reputation. We moved our son to Catholic this year and I only wish we had done it sooner. The only good thing about NYC public school was the ability to test into better programs. If that's gone people aren't coming back.
What did you find lacking? I’m in Middlesex County. My step-daughter is in public school. We have zero complaints so far.

Old 02-20-2022, 07:44 AM

12,199 posts, read 7,229,268 times
Gee, what a surprise. Another place where progressive Democrats meddle with and it turns to crap.

Is there anything that the liberals touch that don’t turn into crap? And yet you have fools that automatically vote for Democrats every time.

Old 02-21-2022, 01:04 PM

2,317 posts, read 1,153,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Only thing hated about that is more than several times had teachers who knew at least one side of my family; parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles.... I couldn't get away with nothing... and my Old Man being a cagey sort never showed his hand. He let you cut just enough rope to hang yourself with before busting out with what he already knew....

But that was old school SI anyway. Someone always either knew your family directly or indirectly. Either way if you were seen someplace you shouldn't or whatever, word got back....

I used to work with a guy who grew up in Princess Bay,SI in the early 1960s. One day when he was about 12 he rode his bike all the way to Travis. When he got home his mother asked him where he was all day. He said 'in the neighborhood'. Well, a neighbor saw him riding his bike on Travis Avenue and when she got home told his mom. Caught! And when his dad got home he was mildly punished. No TV for a few days. His parents made a deal with him. He could take long bike rides with friends, never alone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City