Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2022, 07:54 AM

12,200 posts, read 7,215,987 times

Advertisements

^ The way I see it, Asian immigrants are literally saving NYC from becoming a Detroit/Baltimore/Newark.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2022, 08:07 AM

9,111 posts, read 6,155,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
^ The way I see it, Asian immigrants are literally saving NYC from becoming a Detroit/Baltimore/Newark.
And DeB was cutting their numbers in the premier schools.

Old 02-19-2022, 08:50 AM

34,017 posts, read 47,240,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esacni View Post
You do realize that $10K in property taxes on a 700sq ft condo (under $1MM cost) in NYC is pretty much the norm now? You're not much better off with comparable coops where the lowest maintenance is about $1K/month (at least half that is property taxes)

Yes, there are $5MM Brownstones that pay $6K/yr but that's not the norm in most of the city.

The only people who think NYC property taxes are THAT much cheaper are those who either pay none at all or pay under some subsidized program where their perspective is skewed.
There's plenty of neighborhoods in the outer boroughs where people are paying under 10K a year in property taxes.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 02-19-2022, 12:27 PM

5,804 posts, read 2,930,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
I can't figure why anyone would move to Long Island. It never made sense to me. You're putting NYC in between you and the rest of the world. I don't even like going there temporarily.
I feel the same way about NJ. It’s all highways and exits and shopping centers.
South And western NJ by Del Gap is nicer though.

Old 02-19-2022, 12:38 PM

19,027 posts, read 13,937,683 times
But Long Island and close-in NJ look exactly the same.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 02-19-2022, 12:56 PM

2,948 posts, read 1,257,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
There's plenty of neighborhoods in the outer boroughs where people are paying under 10K a year in property taxes.
What's the tax $/per SQ foot of property?

Save $5K in property taxes so your kids can go to a school full of children raised by parents who don't care about education and fail in life? Isn't that child abuse?

Old 02-19-2022, 06:35 PM

34,017 posts, read 47,240,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esacni View Post
What's the tax $/per SQ foot of property?

Save $5K in property taxes so your kids can go to a school full of children raised by parents who don't care about education and fail in life? Isn't that child abuse?
You can throw as many variables as you want into the equation, but what I said is true. Plenty of properties on the market (SFH at that) for under 10K.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 02-19-2022, 07:18 PM

31,892 posts, read 26,926,466 times
Median property tax bill for class one homeowners in NYC is about $5.5k per. But that does not tell entire story.

First and foremost thanks to NYC/NYS complex and byzantine property tax system actual tax rate is only part of story. Other half is assessed value which means city can extract more money from owners without raising effective rates.

https://blocksandlots.com/property-t...-need-to-know/

https://cbcny.org/research/new-york-city-property-taxes

https://cooperatornews.com/article/n...property-taxes

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/08/r...50-states.html

https://www.silive.com/news/2017/07/...ners_have.html

As myself and others have repeatedly stated on this issue, anyone who knows anything about owning property in NYC (versus renting) has crunched numbers.

You pay less in property taxes for 1-3 family home in NYC but services and amenities on average suck to stink. This includes everything from local public education on up. Now if you happen to live in certain areas of Manhattan and few other places with access to top quality healthcare, parks and other amenities and services, that may balance things out.

OTOH in NJ, CT, and LI you pay more in property taxes but those benefits are visible at once locally. Good to excellent public K-12 schools, parks, recreation, things for kids to do, healthcare, etc... Roads and streets in much of NJ are like silk compared to the pot hole infested things you find in NYC. Streets are clean, and so forth.

This is why people have and still pack-up and move to NJ, LI or CT from NYC. At some point you sit down and after crunching numbers realize making that move just makes sense on various levels.

None of this even touches fact NYC levies an income tax, and also has a vast and bewildering array of surcharges and other levies (piled on with those from Albany) on both private and commercial.

NYS and NYC are HCL areas in large part due to all the taxes and fees levied on commercial activity. Those are passed onto consumers which is why milk and other groceries cost more in NYC than just across river in NJ.

Old 02-19-2022, 07:30 PM

31,892 posts, read 26,926,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Exactly.

Any decent house on Staten Island is paying close to $10,000 nowadays, and those within are paying the city income tax on their salaries as well. All while getting very little in return for all those taxes.

Can't even send your kids to the schools unless you're willing to risk their future success and immediate physical safety, especially if they look like mine.
Probably hair under $9k or so for a house priced at 1,250,000.

Click on any property located in good area of SI priced between $600k and bit over one million, you'll find taxes don't go much above $8k-$9k.

What is more telling is people want $600k for busted properties in some really bad parts of North Shore and elsewhere.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2...32288721_zpid/

Old 02-19-2022, 07:39 PM

19,027 posts, read 13,937,683 times
The local income tax is another ingenious way to push the burden onto higher earners, and of course to catch renters. You cannot be taken seriously if you ignore the city income tax while claiming NYC real estate taxes are low.

Our real estate tax now is LOWER than that plus city income tax on both salaries were when we lived there. Meanwhile my house is 700 sq feet larger and rather than NO yard, I have .33 of an acre with woods behind me. Oh and my garbage is picked up on time, there’s near zero crime, the roads are awesome, schools are great… I could go on.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City