Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2022, 02:56 PM

2,731 posts, read 6,116,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
What did you find lacking? I’m in Middlesex County. My step-daughter is in public school. We have zero complaints so far.
The lack of discipline, no addressing rude or disrespectful behavior. No challenging work for the more advanced kids. Bad math programs with everything done online. Science and history taught whenever, not as an every day subject. No focus on writing skills. No homework. I worked as a sub for a short time and the classroom behavior and work was nothing at all like my experience in Catholic school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2022, 07:48 PM

593 posts, read 470,165 times
The broader issue is that in a government-based system, it is much more difficult to switch to another provider if unhappy with the services. One has to take drastic measures such as relocating to another city or even another state. This is not possible for many people. Complaining to school boards, administrators, and teachers is a waste of time--they know that they hold all the cards.

Old 02-21-2022, 08:44 PM

61 posts, read 33,260 times
What good school district....where is such a thing in queens?.... oh the equality in education? Closing tens of high-school that are in garbage districts to create a 0 to 20 period in a better neighborhood high-school to intermingle the trash with the good so on paper we can see ratings of 5 or 6 instead of 1 or 2's? City's education politics is just garbage.

Let those who want to learn study in peace....

Old 02-22-2022, 02:59 PM

5,462 posts, read 5,702,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkang View Post
What good school district....where is such a thing in queens?.... oh the equality in education? Closing tens of high-school that are in garbage districts to create a 0 to 20 period in a better neighborhood high-school to intermingle the trash with the good so on paper we can see ratings of 5 or 6 instead of 1 or 2's? City's education politics is just garbage.

Let those who want to learn study in peace....
The best thing I found is if your kids go to a mostly Asian dominated school. If they make friends with those Asians, there would be peer pressure for them to actually study. This is how schools like Stuy operate nowadays. Once they bust up these Asian majority schools, everyone would be out for themselves. I wouldn't be surprised if Asians will start moving out of the city in droves as well.

Old 02-22-2022, 03:12 PM

2,330 posts, read 1,026,428 times
I have more modest goals. If I was a parent (which I am not), then the definition of a good school is where the students don't rob or assault pedestrians walking by. This is how lowered my expectations of NYC have become.

Old 02-23-2022, 05:29 AM

12,200 posts, read 7,215,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
The best thing I found is if your kids go to a mostly Asian dominated school. If they make friends with those Asians, there would be peer pressure for them to actually study. This is how schools like Stuy operate nowadays. Once they bust up these Asian majority schools, everyone would be out for themselves. I wouldn't be surprised if Asians will start moving out of the city in droves as well.
Vote for nothing but Democrats, who then create conditions in the city where one is are now forced to leave. Amazing, just amazing.

People are stupid.

Old 02-23-2022, 08:07 PM

593 posts, read 470,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
Vote for nothing but Democrats, who then create conditions in the city where one is are now forced to leave. Amazing, just amazing.

People are stupid.

I know it's a cliche, but then these very same people move to other states and push for the same public policies that led to the disasters from which they fled. They seem to think that the outcomes are random. They don't connect their policy ideas to the actual results.

Old 02-23-2022, 08:37 PM

2,948 posts, read 1,257,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Median property tax bill for class one homeowners in NYC is about $5.5k per. But that does not tell entire story.

First and foremost thanks to NYC/NYS complex and byzantine property tax system actual tax rate is only part of story. Other half is assessed value which means city can extract more money from owners without raising effective rates.

https://blocksandlots.com/property-t...-need-to-know/

https://cbcny.org/research/new-york-city-property-taxes

https://cooperatornews.com/article/n...property-taxes

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/08/r...50-states.html

https://www.silive.com/news/2017/07/...ners_have.html

As myself and others have repeatedly stated on this issue, anyone who knows anything about owning property in NYC (versus renting) has crunched numbers.

You pay less in property taxes for 1-3 family home in NYC but services and amenities on average suck to stink. This includes everything from local public education on up. Now if you happen to live in certain areas of Manhattan and few other places with access to top quality healthcare, parks and other amenities and services, that may balance things out.

OTOH in NJ, CT, and LI you pay more in property taxes but those benefits are visible at once locally. Good to excellent public K-12 schools, parks, recreation, things for kids to do, healthcare, etc... Roads and streets in much of NJ are like silk compared to the pot hole infested things you find in NYC. Streets are clean, and so forth.

This is why people have and still pack-up and move to NJ, LI or CT from NYC. At some point you sit down and after crunching numbers realize making that move just makes sense on various levels.

None of this even touches fact NYC levies an income tax, and also has a vast and bewildering array of surcharges and other levies (piled on with those from Albany) on both private and commercial.

NYS and NYC are HCL areas in large part due to all the taxes and fees levied on commercial activity. Those are passed onto consumers which is why milk and other groceries cost more in NYC than just across river in NJ.
Even that median number is skewed because I'd guess that it's more of a bimodial distribution. Further, that number counts all the tax abated properties which are all near $10K once the abatement ends.
Even further, what politicians have been doing is raising the water rates as a way to substitute for property tax increases.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City