Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2022, 12:39 PM

821 posts, read 774,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Hahaha! Didn't realize Archie Bunker had so many names!
He probably has more. I’m surprised his Islanders account has made it this long without getting banned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2022, 01:19 PM

1,853 posts, read 1,954,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabaomb View Post
I agree but if money is not a concern, most people would choose NYU over Fordham. Most companies would recruit at NYU over Fordham.

I know that it’s a small sample size but only people I know from Fordham either majored in Sports Broadcasting or went to their law school.
I was very curious when I read what you wrote. I checked out USNews for a school comparison:

https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges...versity-vs-nyu

NYU's ($56.5K) tuition is not that much higher than Fordham ($55.7K). Also starting salaries are fairly close (NYU is about $5K higher) between the two schools as well.

Overall, NYU still beats out Fordham in terms of selectivity, network, and the wide range of study options.

Old 09-06-2022, 01:52 PM

5,462 posts, read 5,704,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
Academically, I think a Fordham degree carries more weight inside metro New York, while NYU has a stronger national rep.
I would agree with this purely from personal interactions. People from Fordham seem to be more well adjusted on average. NYU undergrad is like upper-middle class version of online University of Phoenix.

Old 09-06-2022, 02:15 PM

5,662 posts, read 2,605,106 times
Tell your daughter to pick a major then base it on that. Unless you'll have money to burn. They both are expensive school to go to just because. If she wants to move to NYC let her try it out and save 80K a year.

Old 09-06-2022, 02:54 PM

262 posts, read 150,075 times
what does your daughter want to study? if it's something like accounting, save money and stick with CUNY - Baruch. Big 4 recruit from there.

Old 09-06-2022, 03:32 PM

947 posts, read 1,401,528 times
Full disclosure: Fordham grad here; attended in the early-mid 70's as a commuter student.

I was back on the Rose Hill campus this May, and trust me, security is excellent. Guard booths are staffed at all the main entrances (Fordham Road, Bathgate Avenue, Southern Boulevard) and the campus is totally fenced in. I will say that the surrounding neighborhoods west of Webster Avenue and south of Fordham Road are iffy (Little Italy around 187th and Arthur Avenue being an exception to that). Unlike my time there, I believe the student body is now predominantly residential and not commuting. Several new dormitories have been built in the past decade or two, along with a state of the art library, a totally renovated business college (Gabelli School of Business), and a revamped/expanded campus center.

Since your daughter doesn't yet know what her major will be, getting broad exposure to a variety of subjects early on in college would seem to be important. I imagine that both Fordham and NYU would fit the bill on that score. In terms of majors, at the undergraduate level I don't think Fordham is particularly strong in STEM but it is strong in the social sciences, business, and the humanities, broadly defined.

And for what it's worth, for the first time in its 181 year history Fordham's newly appointed president is not a Jesuit but a lay person, Tania Tetlow.

Old 09-06-2022, 04:14 PM

270 posts, read 145,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berniess View Post
what does your daughter want to study? if it's something like accounting, save money and stick with CUNY - Baruch. Big 4 recruit from there.
Good point. Going to a CUNY school in Manhattan will save them a lot of money.

Old 09-07-2022, 10:48 PM

1,888 posts, read 1,183,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sSitcom View Post
Tell your daughter to pick a major then base it on that. Unless you'll have money to burn. They both are expensive school to go to just because. If she wants to move to NYC let her try it out and save 80K a year.
That's a good question. She needs to pick a major, or maybe she will attend undeclared....
She understands that certain schools are better suited for certain majors.
Also that the premium many schools command can be rationalized to a point depending on the major, connections that can be made in certain industries etc....

She is pretty well rounded math/language/ science. Hoping she looks at a STEM major, but her life path....
Her mom and myself each did the CC school route 1st to save money, before going to a 4 yr school.
That was talked about, she is a much better student than myself. So want her to have the dream.....

She is also looking at BU in Boston, maybe BC too. Likes the city vibes. UConn tour put her to sleep....

Appreciate everyones input thus far. Thank you all!

Old 09-08-2022, 05:01 AM

16,028 posts, read 6,834,833 times
It is documented.

80 % of all colleges politically lean Democratic.

Only one college in America has a high percentage of Republican at 20% .

Yes, you heard that right. Fact check it.

If your child leans Democrat no problem.
If your child leans Republican or Conservative........best keep the political views to yourself.

Old 09-08-2022, 08:56 AM

7,323 posts, read 4,118,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepfordct View Post
She is pretty well rounded math/language/ science. Hoping she looks at a STEM major, but her life path....
Her mom and myself each did the CC school route 1st to save money, before going to a 4 yr school.
That was talked about, she is a much better student than myself. So want her to have the dream.....

Appreciate everyones input thus far. Thank you all!
Best NYC stem colleges are Manhattan College and Stevens College of Technology.

NYU is best known for liberal arts, Digital communication, Cinematography and film/video production, Drama and dramatics/theatre arts, Political science and government.

Fordham is best known for Business administration and management, Finance, Psychology, Economics. Fordham produces a lot of lawyers.

So neither college would be appropriate for your daughter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City