Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2022, 11:21 PM

5,678 posts, read 2,610,110 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepfordct View Post
100k I wish!
My daughter is not studying art or any such thing. Though she might cry later about the debt. Rule #1. They need to have some skin in the game of life to play. Regardless how inexpensive or not. She will have loans.
Why would you want your daughter to have loans and to pay back several hundred of thousand dollars.
You brag what a good person/student she is and then are okay her having to spend years of her life working to pay them all back. It's almost like you want her to go to certain school for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2022, 05:47 AM

3,357 posts, read 4,631,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sSitcom View Post
Why would you want your daughter to have loans and to pay back several hundred of thousand dollars.
You brag what a good person/student she is and then are okay her having to spend years of her life working to pay them all back. It's almost like you want her to go to certain school for you.
I'd want my kids to avoid loans too.

Old 09-17-2022, 06:21 AM

1,888 posts, read 1,184,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sSitcom View Post
My intention wasn't to brag. Other posters stated why waste time in this thread giving advice for a student not even accepted. Simply painted a picture why she has a good chance of acceptance. Of course no one has any guarantee.....
Regarding loans in a perfect world she would get a full ride etc..... Doubtful though. So yes she will pay for some of her schooling. She will not have hundreds of thousands of loans....
It's about being a responsible adult.

Also she decided on these two schools, not myself.

Last edited by Stepfordct; 09-17-2022 at 06:44 AM..

Old 09-18-2022, 08:43 PM

2,948 posts, read 1,260,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepfordct View Post
My intention wasn't to brag. Other posters stated why waste time in this thread giving advice for a student not even accepted. Simply painted a picture why she has a good chance of acceptance. Of course no one has any guarantee.....
Regarding loans in a perfect world she would get a full ride etc..... Doubtful though. So yes she will pay for some of her schooling. She will not have hundreds of thousands of loans....
It's about being a responsible adult.

Also she decided on these two schools, not myself.
I hate to do this but you're the parent and should know better. Looking back, I knew so little at 17 years old but my parents were immigrants so couldn't really help me in this regard (at least in choosing where to go). I was accepted to NYU but even almost 20 years ago my parents balked at the tuition so I went to a state school. If your daughter has the grades and resume that she does, there's absolutely zero reason for her to choose between NYU or Fordham.

If she really wants to be in NYC, her choices should be Columbia/ Cooper Union or CUNY. Going to NYU/Fordham is like buying a $70K Honda Accord. They're not bad by any means but the price tags have to correspond to the value they purport to provide. I know more people who regret going to NYU than I can count.

Old 09-19-2022, 08:01 PM

7,341 posts, read 4,131,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esacni View Post
I hate to do this but you're the parent and should know better. Looking back, I knew so little at 17 years old but my parents were immigrants so couldn't really help me in this regard (at least in choosing where to go). I was accepted to NYU but even almost 20 years ago my parents balked at the tuition so I went to a state school. If your daughter has the grades and resume that she does, there's absolutely zero reason for her to choose between NYU or Fordham.

If she really wants to be in NYC, her choices should be Columbia/ Cooper Union or CUNY. Going to NYU/Fordham is like buying a $70K Honda Accord. They're not bad by any means but the price tags have to correspond to the value they purport to provide. I know more people who regret going to NYU than I can count.
Everything above is true!

"No skin in the game" is such weird saying. Of course, kids have "skin the in game" whether not depended on loans. The "skin in the game" is their future. I think parents use the phases to justify their kids' debt.

My kids were required to finish a masters degree for their careers. As it is, their grad degrees required $60,000 in student loans. My kids said it would have been impossible to get a masters degree loans while carrying undergraduate loans. They are so thankful that I paid for their undergrad degrees.

Your daughter doesn't know what her major will be. She should live at home and commute to a local college until she figures it out. Why pay for tens of thousand dollars when she doesn't know her field of study. If she changes her mind, it might mean an extra year of college (and debt).

Hunter College is an excellent college. Many Westchester kids ride Metro North together.

OTOH, I know a kid who graduated with a NYU degree. She wanted to be a theatre writer. She is working at a production company. BTW, she's rich! Her parents paid for college. They have been supporting her for the last five years. I don't think that's uncommon at NYU.

Old 09-19-2022, 08:45 PM

3,206 posts, read 1,668,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post
how do you know nyu is a party school? did you go there?
I met plenty of people who graduated from NYU. It is not Columbia nor Princeton. Overrated imo. I was interviewing for a job at NYU and got to meet the Dean and multiple faculty members. Not impressed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City