Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2022, 05:18 PM

1,888 posts, read 1,183,516 times

Advertisements

My daughter thinking about these 2 schools.
Has the grades, SAT scores to get in. My question as a father is safety 1st. Also she hasn't declared a major as of yet. So until then a school offering a wide variety of programs is attractive.

Spoke to friends whose kids attended both. However that was in the Guilani/ Bloomberg era.
So what say you wise NYers....
Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2022, 10:29 PM

15,827 posts, read 14,466,566 times
I wouldn't have her going to the Bronx now. NYU will open doors, but for the money she could probably get a better education.

Old 09-04-2022, 11:52 PM

5,517 posts, read 8,763,919 times
Just FYI, there is a Fordham campus at Lincoln Center on the Upper West Side of Manhattan.

https://www.fordham.edu/undergraduat...incoln-center/

The site says it has 2200 undergrads, with about half living in campus housing. This would likely be the best option from a safety viewpoint, thanks to the affluent neighborhood it’s in. After that I’d go with Fordham. IIRC, it is largely a gated campus, and students do go downtown for fun. Then NYU, which has no traditional campus at all—just individual buildings tucked into the cityscape. It can be very exciting for kids, but the openness makes them more vulnerable, especially if they aren’t used to big city life.

Academically, I think a Fordham degree carries more weight inside metro New York, while NYU has a stronger national rep.

Old 09-05-2022, 12:01 AM

12,788 posts, read 8,283,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
I wouldn't have her going to the Bronx now. NYU will open doors, but for the money she could probably get a better education.
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
Just FYI, there is a Fordham campus at Lincoln Center on the Upper West Side of Manhattan.

The site says it has 2200 undergrads, with about half living in campus housing. This would likely be the best option from a safety viewpoint, thanks to the affluent neighborhood it’s in. After that I’d go with Fordham. IIRC, it is largely a gated campus, and students do go downtown for fun. Then NYU, which has no traditional campus at all—just individual buildings tucked into the cityscape. It can be very exciting for kids, but the openness makes them more vulnerable, especially if they aren’t used to big city life.

Academically, I think a Fordham degree carries more weight inside metro New York, while NYU has a stronger national rep.
There is nothing wrong with the Fordham Bronx campus. It is right outside of the Fordham Metro-North safety and the campus is like Fort Knox in terms of security. I have been on both the NYU and Fordham University campuses' checking out courses and contemplating obtaining my Master's degree. I found NYU to be the most off-putting. The level of snobbery was annoying. Fordham had some snobbery as well, but being a smaller school, less so. Then again I did not go to college here in NYC, so maybe it's a New York City thing. I will say that NYU offers a range of courses for enrichment and agree with the comments about having great connections.

Old 09-05-2022, 01:12 AM

785 posts, read 484,232 times
Like some of the above have said, stay far away from the Bronx. It wasn't even a good area when during the "safe" days. I was good friends with a few soccer players at Fordham back in the day. They told me when they would get the Q44 bus to take a ride to Queens they'd first get loaded drinking beers so they could muster up the courage. True story.

Old 09-05-2022, 02:09 AM

1,853 posts, read 1,954,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepfordct View Post
My daughter thinking about these 2 schools.
Has the grades, SAT scores to get in. My question as a father is safety 1st. Also she hasn't declared a major as of yet. So until then a school offering a wide variety of programs is attractive.

Spoke to friends whose kids attended both. However that was in the Guilani/ Bloomberg era.
So what say you wise NYers....
Thanks in advance!
Has she considered Sarah Lawrence? From a safety perspective it would be better than both. However if one had to choose, it would be NYU over Fordham in terms of location.

Old 09-05-2022, 02:21 AM

1,853 posts, read 1,954,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post

Agreed on the Fordham UWS campus. It is an excellent, safer location. Plus being close to Lincoln Center has to be amazing.

Are you saying that academically Fordham carries more weight than NYU inside metro NYC? This is the first time I’ve seen this comparison. Not sure if Fordham compares to NYU favorably in academics or national rep. I did not attend either school so no agenda here.

https://fordhamobserver.com/40312/op...m-is-terrible/

Old 09-05-2022, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Englander View Post
Has she considered Sarah Lawrence? From a safety perspective it would be better than both. However if one had to choose, it would be NYU over Fordham in terms of location.
SL seems to have very personalized learning. Small groups. Great professors. However other reviews seem to suggest it ends there....
Will look more into it....

Old 09-05-2022, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Englander View Post
Agreed on the Fordham UWS campus. It is an excellent, safer location. Plus being close to Lincoln Center has to be amazing.

Are you saying that academically Fordham carries more weight than NYU inside metro NYC? This is the first time I’ve seen this comparison. Not sure if Fordham compares to NYU favorably in academics or national rep. I did not attend either school so no agenda here.

https://fordhamobserver.com/40312/op...m-is-terrible/
The campus at UWS is great. Though would a student be able to take every class needed just there. If so your now part of a very small school.....
Luckily she is a serious student. Guessing this campus selection is even more competitive as well.

Old 09-05-2022, 08:15 AM

7,323 posts, read 4,118,369 times
Sarah Lawrence has gender neutral dorms and roommates. It allowed a student's father to live in his daughter's dorm room where he pimped out her dorm mates. The girls parents repeatedly meet with Sarah Lawrence to remove the father, but Sarah Lawrence refused.

The story is so horrifying:

Quote:
Within days of his release, Larry Ray moved onto Sarah Lawrence’s campus. He planted himself in the common area, cooking steak dinners and ordering expensive delivery for Talia and her seven housemates. While they ate, he told them stories in a nasal Brooklyn accent about his long and decorated history as a government agent, his former work as an international CIA operative, how he recovered Stinger missiles off the black market and engineered a cease-fire in Kosovo. He loved to preach the values of the Marine Corps and dropped references to his relationships with high-ranking American military officers.
Jump Down to

Quote:
Claudia’s parents had moved to the Upper East Side after she started at Sarah Lawrence. That summer, they were living a few blocks from the 93rd Street apartment. They saw their daughter about once a week when she came home to get a change of clothes or drop something off.

“She was on ‘Larry behavior,’ ” her mother says. “She’d be saying things that sounded like they came out of Larry’s mouth. ‘In the Marines you do this, you exercise, and you only eat healthy food.’ ” Claudia became very critical of her parents. “She would be disparaging about how we were running the household: ‘Look, you can’t even get dinner on the table on time.’ ”

On 93rd Street, small mistakes weren’t just symbols of childhood trauma. They were evidence that the kids were trying to “sabotage” Larry’s program of self-improvement. Subversive behavior was explored in painstaking detail and required written, signed confessions. In one, Santos wrote, “I threw out around five checkbooks and ripped out pages from at least two,” and detailed plans to “interfere with Larry’s business and not let him work by making sure to take up his time and waste it.”

Daniel remembers delivering handwritten letters to Larry listing items he had damaged as part of an intentional effort to harm Larry’s family. Daniel now believes the confessions served to cement Larry’s psychological conditioning. “All this pressure had been put on all of us to believe that we had done all these terrible things to him and his family,” he says. The confession process demanded that Daniel reconfigure his own memories to reconcile them with Larry’s accusations. Over the years, Larry would collect hundreds of pages of such confessions from the students. Many of them used almost identical language.

Things became more difficult for Daniel when Larry took a deeper interest in his sexual education. One night, Isabella came out of the bedroom and began kissing Daniel on the couch. At first, he thought Isabella was acting on a crush, but a few weeks later Larry ushered the two of them into the bedroom, instructing Daniel and Isabella to have sex while he watched. The sessions became regular, and Larry would sometimes participate. He made it seem as if his presence were part of Daniel’s and Isabella’s journeys to clarity. Once, Larry invited Chen, his friend the landlord, to join them.

“I got so freaked out,” Daniel says. “There was no consent in that situation. Isabella may have seemed to be pursuing all of this, but her mind was being twisted by Larry.”

Still, Daniel didn’t leave the apartment. “It was a combination of feeling like, This is unusual, and I feel kind of weird,” he says, “but my immediate next thought was, Everyone else seems to think this is really good. Maybe there’s something wrong with me, and I need to lean into this.”

At the end of the summer, Claudia and Daniel left to study abroad in England. Before leaving, Claudia sent a long email to Green, the Sarah Lawrence dean, with the subject line “The Truth.” She wrote that when Larry first moved into Slonim 9, she had expressed “fears and concerns about Larry Ray being a bad, dangerous, manipulative, and sexually deviant man.” After spending the summer with Larry, Claudia took it all back and claimed that Larry’s ex-wife had tricked her into making her initial statements.
https://www.thecut.com/2022/04/larry...-students.html

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/04/06/n...ray-trial.html

https://nypost.com/2022/04/04/horrif...leaders-guilt/

My kids attended summer writing camps at Sarah Lawrence, so I kept an eye on this craziness.

A friend got a full ride to Sarah Lawrence (like twenty years ago) and left because of it's snobby. She transfer to Fordham and is now a lawyer.

Last edited by YorktownGal; 09-05-2022 at 08:23 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City