Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2022, 05:09 PM

4,195 posts, read 4,077,595 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Yes, it changed once the affiliation with NPR began. It's still a pretty cool station, but I miss the days when it was 100% students.
I think Dennis Elsas has been on the station since at least the late 90s. Probably some other DJs as well. They play some good music but overall the station is too eclectic for me to listen on a regular basis. I didn’t know about the association with NPR but the station is not what I expect from a college radio station with so many professional jocks who could be the parents or grandparents of college students.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2022, 06:49 PM

270 posts, read 145,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinjsxx View Post
I think Dennis Elsas has been on the station since at least the late 90s. Probably some other DJs as well. They play some good music but overall the station is too eclectic for me to listen on a regular basis. I didn’t know about the association with NPR but the station is not what I expect from a college radio station with so many professional jocks who could be the parents or grandparents of college students.
WFDU seems to have more college aged radio jocks than WFUV. I especially like their Retro Oldies Radio in the morning and early afternoon.

Old 09-10-2022, 05:35 PM

13,648 posts, read 20,767,629 times
Quote:
I think you are right about Elsas and the others.

When I was there, it was all students all the time, including a few friends of mine. Then came the NPR affiliation and thus began the influx of old jocks.

It is still a much better station than your average commercial rock station, but I prefer it the way it was.

Old 09-11-2022, 03:40 PM

15,822 posts, read 14,463,105 times
I do a lot of driving through the Bronx to get to Westchester. I discovered WFUV. It's now in my presets. Interesting station.

Quote:
WFUV is a college radio station where the jocks are radio professionals in their 50s to 70s. Dennis Elsas is 74.

Old 09-11-2022, 05:46 PM

34,002 posts, read 17,035,093 times
I am a Fordham grad (early 80s) who worked in the Bronx 2017-early 2020. Avoid the Bronx.

Now if your kid truly wishes to go there, avoid the subways. Use Metro North to get to GCT and back. Period.

Old 09-11-2022, 05:49 PM

9,434 posts, read 4,248,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
I am a Fordham grad (early 80s) who worked in the Bronx 2017-early 2020. Avoid the Bronx.

Now if your kid truly wishes to go there, avoid the subways. Use Metro North to get to GCT and back. Period.
Fordham has an extensive bus system. The shuttle is free for students.

Old 09-11-2022, 06:12 PM

34,002 posts, read 17,035,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foodyum View Post
Fordham has an extensive bus system. The shuttle is free for students.
I know, but the Bronx the last 3 years has gotten very bad..again.

Most of the progress of the last 20 years was, IMO, reversed.

Any walking in that region alarms me.

Old 09-11-2022, 09:41 PM

7,319 posts, read 4,115,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
MetroNorth is a gem. There is the Fordham station at 417 E Fordham Rd and the NY Botanical Garden stop. It's faster, safer and more expensive than the subway.

BTW, none of NYC looking very good lately. Union Square which was pretty safe isn't. Washington Square (next to NYU) isn't great. https://nyunews.com/features/2022/05...ers-speak-out/

First pick out a field of study, then pick the college. Please remember, that everything in NYC or Boston will be more expensive. From a slice of pizza to a new notebook, big city living is more expensive and part of the college financial calculation.

Old 09-14-2022, 02:03 AM

93 posts, read 76,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepfordct View Post
My daughter thinking about these 2 schools.
Has the grades, SAT scores to get in. My question as a father is safety 1st. Also she hasn't declared a major as of yet. So until then a school offering a wide variety of programs is attractive.
Why is everyone answering this thread like OP's daughter is actually accepted at these schools already?

OP, Fordham and NYU are highly selective. Just because she has the grades doesn't mean she will get in. Perhaps you are putting the horse before the cart.

Old 09-14-2022, 08:08 AM

3,180 posts, read 1,654,323 times
Most likely the OP's daughter just want to come to NYC and enjoy the city rather than serious about the education. How can any student not from NYC come here just to study and avoid all of the distractions of NYC.

When I was in college and same is true today, whenever I met an NYC or Fordham girl from out of state. She's here to meet guys and have fun. Usually by sophomore year they've become quite the socialite.

Well it's the OP's money, if it was my daughter I send her to a real college town away from big cities. Too many distractions and expensive things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City