Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2022, 03:40 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,109,892 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKTwet View Post
Most likely the OP's daughter just want to come to NYC and enjoy the city rather than serious about the education. How can any student not from NYC come here just to study and avoid all of the distractions of NYC.

When I was in college and same is true today, whenever I met an NYC or Fordham girl from out of state. She's here to meet guys and have fun. Usually by sophomore year they've become quite the socialite.

Well it's the OP's money, if it was my daughter I send her to a real college town away from big cities. Too many distractions and expensive things.
depends what the daughter is studying.

so many bad comments in this thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2022, 04:52 PM

1,888 posts, read 1,192,964 times
CD never disappoints! Threads reliably run the gamut…
She has interests in other schools as well outside of NYC.
While she has no guaranteed acceptance, think she has very good chance. AP, honor classes, over 4.0. Solid SAT scores. Works 2 jobs, and does charity work. Varisity sports and laughs at my jokes!

Old 09-15-2022, 08:56 AM

3,325 posts, read 1,728,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepfordct View Post
CD never disappoints! Threads reliably run the gamut…
She has interests in other schools as well outside of NYC.
While she has no guaranteed acceptance, think she has very good chance. AP, honor classes, over 4.0. Solid SAT scores. Works 2 jobs, and does charity work. Varisity sports and laughs at my jokes!
Then why would she even consider NYU and Fordham which aren't known for their athletics program. It's party school, everybody in NYC knows that girls that attends NYU from other states are looking to get away from their small town life into big city life. Eventually become a transplant and not going back to Kansas.

Acceptance is meaningless, it's an artificial way for NYU to make their reputation to appear high.

Old 09-15-2022, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKTwet View Post
Then why would she even consider NYU and Fordham which aren't known for their athletics program. It's party school, everybody in NYC knows that girls that attends NYU from other states are looking to get away from their small town life into big city life. Eventually become a transplant and not going back to Kansas.

Acceptance is meaningless, it's an artificial way for NYU to make their reputation to appear high.
how do you know nyu is a party school? did you go there?

Old 09-15-2022, 01:17 PM

3,357 posts, read 4,639,087 times
I just skimmed the thread, but if deciding between the 2, doesn't NYU have the advantage of more choice in majors? Fordham's campus is beautiful though. I'm a grad also and they're always improving the campus. The location is quite nice, close to Little Italy and the NYBG with a shuttle to Manhattan and the Metro North right there.

Did she apply to Columbia? As much as I love Fordham, the tuition has gotten so expensive that I'd question whether the price tag is worth it. I feel the same about NYU.

Old 09-15-2022, 03:49 PM

4,210 posts, read 4,107,707 times
I think NYU is much more prestigious and harder to get into than Fordham. I don’t think it’s close.

Old 09-16-2022, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinjsxx View Post
I think NYU is much more prestigious and harder to get into than Fordham. I don’t think it’s close.
NYU definitely more well known nationally and internationally. Also, it depends on the field study. Some are notoriously difficult to get in.

Old 09-16-2022, 12:23 PM

822 posts, read 781,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinjsxx View Post
Agreed.

Growing up, I always used the US New & World Report rankings.

They have NYU as #25

https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges...tDirection=asc

Fordham is # 72

Using their Compare Tool:

* NYU has a 13% acceptance rate, Fordham is 58% (IMO no school with a 58% acceptance rate can be considered elite when more than half the kids that apply get in).
* NYU is 3 times larger. NYU 28,772 undergrads; Fordham 9,904
* Tuition is almost the same at $58k (NYU is $86 more).
* Room & Board: NYU $20,272; Fordham $21,050
* Average debt after graduation : NYU $27,549; Fordham $34,901
* Student to Faculty Ratio: NYU 8:1; Fordham 14:1

https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges...walk_id=191241

Old 09-16-2022, 07:14 PM

2,948 posts, read 1,271,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabaomb View Post
Agreed.

Growing up, I always used the US New & World Report rankings.

They have NYU as #25

Fordham is # 72

Using their Compare Tool:

* NYU has a 13% acceptance rate, Fordham is 58% (IMO no school with a 58% acceptance rate can be considered elite when more than half the kids that apply get in).
* NYU is 3 times larger. NYU 28,772 undergrads; Fordham 9,904
* Tuition is almost the same at $58k (NYU is $86 more).
* Room & Board: NYU $20,272; Fordham $21,050
* Average debt after graduation : NYU $27,549; Fordham $34,901
* Student to Faculty Ratio: NYU 8:1; Fordham 14:1

https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges...walk_id=191241
NYU and Fordham are both jokes. NYU has a "13%" acceptance rate but 28K undergrads. It's a foreign student (aka full cash tuition) diploma mill.

If I had to choose one I'd go with NYU but looks like OPs daughter will be another young adult graduating with an art degree for $100K+ and then crying about how much student debt she has.

If OP is paying for the daughter's tuition then by all means send her to NYU.

Old 09-16-2022, 10:47 PM

1,888 posts, read 1,192,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esacni View Post
NYU and Fordham are both jokes. NYU has a "13%" acceptance rate but 28K undergrads. It's a foreign student (aka full cash tuition) diploma mill.

If I had to choose one I'd go with NYU but looks like OPs daughter will be another young adult graduating with an art degree for $100K+ and then crying about how much student debt she has.

If OP is paying for the daughter's tuition then by all means send her to NYU.
100k I wish!
My daughter is not studying art or any such thing. Though she might cry later about the debt. Rule #1. They need to have some skin in the game of life to play. Regardless how inexpensive or not. She will have loans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City