Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2022, 09:47 AM

2,948 posts, read 1,262,642 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
By 'the polls' I believe you are referring to the NY Times Sienna desperation poll published a couple days ago that showed Hochul up like 3 when the other dozen polls this week showed them tied or Zeldin ahead. It's desperation because against common practice it was a voice only survey and by their own admission 28% of self identified Republicans hung up on them
Don’t count your chickens. I wouldn’t be surprised at all if she still
Wins by a narrow margin. The incumbent party didn’t balloon the welfare state over the past 9 years for nothing. Those programs aren’t there because they’re such nice people. Those are meant to buy votes and if they can increase turnout amongst the welfare class and their dependents, Hochul will win.

This race is basically about turnout. Is the non welfare class pissed enough to vote in large numbers or is the welfare class scares enough to protect their handouts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2022, 09:51 AM

2,948 posts, read 1,262,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseShopper View Post
Voting for your own self interest is NOT the correct way to vote.
This is debatable and very nuanced so I won’t say that the above is categorically true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowmountains View Post
Many are told, falsely, what is best for their self interest.
I don’t believe in this narrative either. Self interest is core to how humans operate. It’s hard to fool people when it comes to this.

If you believe people are being fooled, I’d argue that you’re just misreading their self-interests.

Old 11-03-2022, 10:07 AM

3,216 posts, read 1,679,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esacni View Post
People aren’t idiots. At least not most. Many are voting in their self interest due to the welfare state. Many know Democrats in NYC = welfare. There are many who don’t work or work minimum wage jobs yet live very comfortably in the highest cost of living city in the US. There’s your answer why so many vote one way or another.
Why not, if I was lazy and poor I know who I would vote for.

Old 11-03-2022, 10:15 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,728,258 times
Quote:
Wins by a narrow margin
To be perfectly honest, the expectation is still that she will win. If Zeldin does win it will be an incredible good and happy thing, but an upset.

The more Democrats voted out the better. I don't care if it's libertarians or republicans that replace them or independents, just stop the bleeding already in this country and get them out of positions of power so we can stop the damage already

Old 11-03-2022, 01:07 PM

7,639 posts, read 8,715,152 times
Quote:
I don’t believe in this narrative either. Self interest is core to how humans operate. It’s hard to fool people when it comes to this.

If you believe people are being fooled, I’d argue that you’re just misreading their self-interests.
Well, it's not a narrative. It's based on my experience with people. I was shocked to find so many people so uninformed and with such appaling ignorance and gullibility.

Old 11-03-2022, 01:33 PM

1,912 posts, read 3,226,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
What do any Republicans have to say about Zeldin other than he is "not Hochul?"

What are his "glowing" qualities?

I GUARANTEE he will be tough on crime. Jmo

Old 11-03-2022, 01:38 PM

12,199 posts, read 7,230,944 times
Quote:
Wins by a narrow margin. The incumbent party didn’t balloon the welfare state over the past 9 years for nothing. Those programs aren’t there because they’re such nice people. Those are meant to buy votes and if they can increase turnout amongst the welfare class and their dependents, Hochul will win.

This race is basically about turnout. Is the non welfare class pissed enough to vote in large numbers or is the welfare class scares enough to protect their handouts.
Even if Zeldin wins, the handouts will still be around. You are talking about decades upon decades of programs. A governor can’t do much, especially with a nearly all Democrat control state legislature.

Old 11-03-2022, 01:43 PM

93,412 posts, read 124,084,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
Even if Zeldin wins, the handouts will still be around. You are talking about decades upon decades of programs. A governor can’t do much, especially with a nearly all Democrat control state legislature.
This illustrates that the Senate in recent years has been predominantly/mostly Republican in recent years as well: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Yo...an_composition

The Assembly is different though: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Yo...ition_by_party

Old 11-03-2022, 03:01 PM

50,382 posts, read 64,021,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseShopper View Post
Voting for your own self interest is NOT the correct way to vote.
Yes, it is how we are meant to vote. If I vote for what is best for my family, and my neighbor votes for what is best for his family, etc. then everyone is best served.

I do not vote for the guy who will pay me more money. I vote for the guy who will uphold my core values.

Why do you think you are meant to decide what is best for others?

Old 11-03-2022, 04:15 PM

3,503 posts, read 1,414,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Yes, it is how we are meant to vote. If I vote for what is best for my family, and my neighbor votes for what is best for his family, etc. then everyone is best served.

I do not vote for the guy who will pay me more money. I vote for the guy who will uphold my core values.

Why do you think you are meant to decide what is best for others?
You vote for who will help NEW YORK as a whole, not who will help you personally. This election is for Governor of NEW YORK, not Governor of gentlearts and family.

That is why New York is a mess at the moment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City