Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2022, 04:19 PM

3,525 posts, read 1,433,824 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esacni View Post
This is debatable and very nuanced so I won’t say that the above is categorically true.
No, it is very much true. There is a reason New York is falling apart right now. Heck, there is a reason the United States is falling apart. Because people are voting for the benefit of themselves only. What benefits me could be disastrous to many others around them. And that's exactly what is happening now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2022, 04:30 PM

11,893 posts, read 5,868,253 times
We'[re counting on NYers to vote Zeldin - NYC voters are the ones who make or break it. Zeldin has a lot of support upstate. Remember AOC is also up for re-election - vote Tina Forte and send AOC back to the bar.

Old 11-03-2022, 04:44 PM

3,525 posts, read 1,433,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
We'[re counting on NYers to vote Zeldin - NYC voters are the ones who make or break it. Zeldin has a lot of support upstate. Remember AOC is also up for re-election - vote Tina Forte and send AOC back to the bar.

No, absolutely not. Hochul is helping to give me free handouts. I'm supposed to vote for my own self interest. Thus, my vote goes to Hochul!

Old 11-03-2022, 05:15 PM

37,291 posts, read 39,614,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
that's what I was thinking, and KK here is a prime example, he stated in one of his posts, he is voting for Hocul because of his disdain for Zelden.
yeah, that's really good reason

like others voting Biden just cause they don't like Trump.

never mind thinking about whether you like them or not, but will they run the city well, will they make everything safe again.

you don't vote the other one just cause you don't like one other.
might as well, not vote then.

NY must have Republicans all down the line, if anyone cant see the mess the Dems have done to this city, then they have a few screws loose.

Newsflash:The city is a freaking mess and crime is out of control.

Hochul, almost a year already, and agan, now, 2 cops or something shot up in the Bronx....yeah, shes really got the gun under control, she is a stupid dumb idiot
In what's effectively a two party system, the likelihood of voting for what you see as the lesser of only two evils gets that much more likely, so I don't see the problem with essentially voting more against someone than really voting because you're very much for someone. Decision making oftentimes doesn't mean you get presented with fantastic options.

I wish Republicans would field better candidates. I don't think a one party system is good, but for whatever reason, the Republicans are sometimes fielding pretty crap candidates.

As for Hochul, while I had a very great disdain for her predecessor, I'm not particularly convinced one way or another about her. It wasn't like this was a methodically planned ascent into the governorship and some of the problems the state's facing isn't particularly unique to New York state or even the US. Would it be great if she and her team were so remarkably capable that she was able to both have been exceedingly capable and clear-sighted to muster up the support and be able to push through great policies that somehow have little unintended negative consequences even under the circumstances and the short time she had in office, NYS would somehow be doing notably much better than other places? Yea, that sure would have been, but I think that's generally well beyond my expectations.

Old 11-03-2022, 05:17 PM

15,882 posts, read 14,538,304 times
Not just. Several. None of them showing Zeldin ahead.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/ep...chul-7749.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
By 'the polls' I believe you are referring to the NY Times Sienna desperation poll published a couple days ago that showed Hochul up like 3 when the other dozen polls this week showed them tied or Zeldin ahead. It's desperation because against common practice it was a voice only survey and by their own admission 28% of self identified Republicans hung up on them

Old 11-03-2022, 05:22 PM

2,948 posts, read 1,273,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseShopper View Post
No, it is very much true. There is a reason New York is falling apart right now. Heck, there is a reason the United States is falling apart. Because people are voting for the benefit of themselves only. What benefits me could be disastrous to many others around them. And that's exactly what is happening now.
In principal I agree but there's nothing inherently wrong with self interest. The US came about because the colonists acted in their self interest.

The problem we have in NYC is that the current politicians have crafted a system whereby they use the Treasury as a vehicle to buy votes.

Old 11-03-2022, 07:31 PM

1,498 posts, read 778,063 times
https://nypost.com/2022/11/03/teen-c...sheet-sources/

“ A teenager charged in the beating of a 71-year-old man — who has since died — outside a Manhattan pizzeria is already a menace, with more than 21 arrests under his belt, law enforcement sources told The Post.

The 15-year-old Queens boy — who was hit with assault charges over the September beatdown — has a lengthy criminal history as a juvenile, with busts for assault and grand larceny on his rap sheet, the sources said”

Old 11-03-2022, 07:42 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,760,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94nasupra View Post
https://nypost.com/2022/11/03/teen-c...sheet-sources/

“ A teenager charged in the beating of a 71-year-old man — who has since died — outside a Manhattan pizzeria is already a menace, with more than 21 arrests under his belt, law enforcement sources told The Post.

The 15-year-old Queens boy — who was hit with assault charges over the September beatdown — has a lengthy criminal history as a juvenile, with busts for assault and grand larceny on his rap sheet, the sources said”
Poor kid keeps looking for bread for his family and none of these bodies squeezed any loafs out

Old 11-03-2022, 11:10 PM

3,358 posts, read 1,247,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
Poor kid keeps looking for bread for his family and none of these bodies squeezed any loafs out
I'm sure he has great parents!

Old 11-04-2022, 05:33 AM

25,410 posts, read 37,165,786 times
Hochul by 5%.

A police arrest is NOT the same as a court conviction for a crime. Police DO NOT have the right to throw someone into prison on their say-so...at least NOT YET and NOT HERE..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City