Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2023, 06:58 AM

2,082 posts, read 1,128,415 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealthtrout View Post
I don't tolerate disrespect and someone trying to attack when I told them to hit the road for breaking the lease.

This was not just written in the lease, but I told them before they signed. This was made clear on Day 1.

As for young women, I kinda emphasized the white ones.

So, what is it? In other posts, you claim the terms of the lease were spelled out, and here you say you only had a verbal.

If it were that important to you, these terms would have been written in the lease. Goes without saying, you are taking us all on a trolla-coasta ride.

Old 07-07-2023, 07:06 AM

106,694 posts, read 108,880,922 times
assuming the story is true , which i doubt , if i was the tenant i would go after this landlord.

What is considered an illegal eviction in New York State?
New York Unlawful Eviction Law Explained: Under New York City Administrative Code Section 26-521, it is unlawful to evict or attempt to evict an occupant of a residential unit, who has: Occupied the premises for 30 consecutive days, OR. Entered into a leave with respect to such residence

The maximum penalty for illegal evictions under NY Code 26-251 is 1 year in prison and a fine of $1000.00 or double the gain from the crime, whichever is greater. An additional civil penalty of between $1000.00 and $10,000.00 may be imposed

what would be scary is the lack of understanding of housing laws this landlord has as a landlord

Old 07-07-2023, 07:15 AM

22 posts, read 7,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOORGONG View Post
So, what is it? In other posts, you claim the terms of the lease were spelled out, and here you say you only had a verbal.

If it were that important to you, these terms would have been written in the lease. Goes without saying, you are taking us all on a trolla-coasta ride.
It is written in the lease which they signed and I told them in person. I give a full one week for people to look over the lease.

Old 07-07-2023, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by islanders2021 View Post
Maybe you should instead just rent to a couple of nice young black women and see how that works for ya! I'm sure their boyfriends and the entourage that accompanies them will be fine upstanding citizens.
I already rent out two other properties, one black man, and another black woman. Both have extended their leases and they follow the rules and never been a problem. Young White women think rules don't apply to them.

Old 07-07-2023, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
assuming the story is true , which i doubt , if i was the tenant i would go after this landlord.

What is considered an illegal eviction in New York State?
New York Unlawful Eviction Law Explained: Under New York City Administrative Code Section 26-521, it is unlawful to evict or attempt to evict an occupant of a residential unit, who has: Occupied the premises for 30 consecutive days, OR. Entered into a leave with respect to such residence

The maximum penalty for illegal evictions under NY Code 26-251 is 1 year in prison and a fine of $1000.00 or double the gain from the crime, whichever is greater. An additional civil penalty of between $1000.00 and $10,000.00 may be imposed

what would be scary is the lack of understanding of housing laws this landlord has as a landlord
The law doesn't apply to an illegal act which in this case is drug use. Not to mention these two had gotten violent with me and I want them off my property.

Old 07-07-2023, 07:28 AM

5,222 posts, read 3,016,975 times
Quote:
I already rent out two other properties, one black man, and another black woman. Both have extended their leases and they follow the rules and never been a problem. Young White women think rules don't apply to them.
You mean these supposedly young white women think that.

Old 07-07-2023, 07:30 AM

Quote:
The law doesn't apply to an illegal act which in this case is drug use. Not to mention these two had gotten violent with me and I want them off my property.
Can you show where it states that, I have found no exceptions.

Old 07-07-2023, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk55732 View Post
Can you show where it states that, I have found no exceptions.

In New York, if a tenant has engaged in illegal behavior within the property, the landlord is not obliged to give them a written notice. The landlord can proceed with the eviction process immediately.

Examples of illegal activities are:

Involvement in the creation, distribution, or consumption of illegal drugs
Domestic abuse
Prostitution
Whether the tenants correct the violation or not, they are not allowed to stay in the property once the court makes a decision.

Landlords are advised to keep a close eye on their tenants to make sure illegal behavior does not go unnoticed.

https://www.doorloop.com/laws/new-yo...%20immediately.

I have no obligation to let a drug addict or someone violent stay in my property.

Old 07-07-2023, 07:45 AM

Quote:
In New York, if a tenant has engaged in illegal behavior within the property, the landlord is not obliged to give them a written notice. The landlord can proceed with the eviction process immediately.

Examples of illegal activities are:

Involvement in the creation, distribution, or consumption of illegal drugs
Domestic abuse
Prostitution
Whether the tenants correct the violation or not, they are not allowed to stay in the property once the court makes a decision.

Landlords are advised to keep a close eye on their tenants to make sure illegal behavior does not go unnoticed.

https://www.doorloop.com/laws/new-yo...%20immediately.

I have no obligation to let a drug addict or someone violent stay in my property.
Your link doesnt work.

However, if this went to court I would question if it would hold up in court. First, I doubt that your entering their apartment would hold up in court, just because you have a clause in your lease saying you can, doesnt mean you legally can enter just because someone made a complaint.

Second, you even state above, "Whether the tenants correct the violation or not, they are not allowed to stay in the property once the court makes a decision." Which would mean that you would have to take them to court and prove that illegal activity happened. Not just deciding that illegal activity happened and kicking them out.

Old 07-07-2023, 07:46 AM

106,694 posts, read 108,880,922 times
Quote:
nonsense, it certainly does

if you can read ,your own link shows you need to go through the eviction process..that means taking them to court to get an eviction.

learn what the words proceeding with the eviction PROCESS means .

3. Conducting illegal activity

The eviction process is as follows:

Proceed to the justice court in the city of the rental property
File a Petition and Notice of Petition and include copies of the following: Notice to Quit, the lease/rental agreement, and proof/documentation that supports the petition
Pay the court fees

you really should not be in the real estate business without understanding basic laws
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City