Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2008, 09:58 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,246,876 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by page3000 View Post
I doubt quelinda has a family at the bodega. She is white. And a lot of what she said is true. But then again..yes, each group has it's class of people that do that. I'm part mexican but consider myself white. I don't speak fluent spanish nor do I care to, and I just don't relate to the culture..but I have never seen so much racism among hispanics in my life until I came here.
Your making tons of generalizations...

Last edited by Viralmd; 06-30-2008 at 10:06 AM.. Reason: Personal attack
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2008, 10:05 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,246,876 times
As far as I've seen Latino relations are actually a little better here than other parts of the country. NYC with maybe the exception of Miami is the one place where you will find Latinos of many different countries all within the same general area. From my experience the animosity between 2nd and 3rd generation NYC Latinos is pretty much nill. The problems mostly occur between immigrants and 1st generation...

Old 06-30-2008, 10:20 AM

2,978 posts, read 4,003,562 times
No what you are doing is race baiting and promoting/justifying nonsense that only applies to the inner city ghetto people. You said you were talking about PR, but that is not PR culture nor representative of PR culture. Feel free to discuss the beliefs, attitudes, habits, and trivial nonsense of the poor innercity ghetto people, but leave PR out of it. If you would like to speak of the poor innercity ghetto of a select group of Nuyoricans..feel free, but the same applies to innercity ghetto people of every culture....which has nothing to do with PR.

And for the record..I made no mention of poor and working class as low lives...however you seem to be extrapolating and sterotyping an entire group of people based on your experiences among the poorest of the group..which is pure nonsense and just wrong. As I stated, if you want to learn about the cultures and value of white people in the country, you do not go to rural West virginia and somehow believe that is representative of whites in this country.

Quefea, I hate ignorance, stereotyping and race baiting, which you are doing plenty of.

Old 06-30-2008, 10:23 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,944,603 times
Please try to argue the ISSUE without hurling personal insults.

Old 06-30-2008, 10:41 AM

391 posts, read 1,249,209 times
Quote:
LOL. No there are not. I live in one of the most densely populated mexican areas and there definitely are not any lowriders etc. That's southern cali. Where I'm from, San Diego, they have them there...as well as L.A. I have been to Arizona and New Mexico...they are there too...even Las Vegas....not NYC though.
OIC...im here in LA and im moving there in a month. How do the ny latinas compare to cali ones?

Old 06-30-2008, 10:51 AM

838 posts, read 1,211,743 times
Default Lots

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunaBoy View Post
OIC...im here in LA and im moving there in a month. How do the ny latinas compare to cali ones?
There are TONS of hispanics here. And although there are plenty of mexicans as well, I definitely would have to say that dominicans and puerto ricans are the VAST majority.
What makes you want to move here?
I'm from San Diego, I'm getting my nursing degree and moving back.
I can definitely stand to just visit NYC. I'm already tired of living here..but I'm not going to knock it because it has afforded me different financial benefits as a young person trying to get on their feet.

Old 06-30-2008, 11:00 AM

Yes there are tons of Hispanic people here...but very different from the West Coast. I have never been to cali so cannot speak to that..but I am sure the women are similar in general..then again..what do I know!

Old 06-30-2008, 11:02 AM

838 posts, read 1,211,743 times
Default women

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guywithacause View Post
Yes there are tons of Hispanic people here...but very different from the West Coast. I have never been to cali so cannot speak to that..but I am sure the women are similar in general..then again..what do I know!
I didn't get the women part. What's that supposed to mean?

Old 06-30-2008, 11:11 AM

391 posts, read 1,249,209 times
Quote:
There are TONS of hispanics here. And although there are plenty of mexicans as well, I definitely would have to say that dominicans and puerto ricans are the VAST majority.
What makes you want to move here?
I'm from San Diego, I'm getting my nursing degree and moving back.
I can definitely stand to just visit NYC. I'm already tired of living here..but I'm not going to knock it because it has afforded me different financial benefits as a young person trying to get on their feet.
I was actually asking about the women lol

Im looking for a change of pace and to experience something new. I also like the diversity of NY and the fact that its more of a centralized city. I dont know how SD is, but LA is very spread out with their individual communities and it just feels more segregated. One thing ill miss is the car culture in cali, cause im not planning to have one in NY. But then again, I dont know what will be worse...crowded public transportation or LA traffic during rush hour lol.

Im starting grad school in manhattan in the fall for business. After 2 years, who knows maybe ill stay, maybe ill be back here. What brought you out there?

Old 06-30-2008, 11:19 AM

I will tell you which is worse..the hellish traffic, gas prices, insurance rates, and maintenance/payments on a car are far worse than the unlimited $80 metrocard and inconvenience of a crowded train.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City