Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2008, 05:11 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,607,468 times

Advertisements

But it's not a reality check. If anything, it's an unreality check.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2008, 09:11 AM

2,978 posts, read 4,003,562 times
How long did people think that whites would avoid these areas? Why should this be something of note or an anomoly. Many of these people on these boards have a very short memory....the reality is most of this city, including the Bronx, was all white in the 50s and prior....this people of color phenomenon is recent, not the norm. It is ABOUT TIME that these highly segregated areas see other people besides themselves...as this extreme segregation has proven to be extremely detrimental to our society, and especially this city.

White people are entering the "hood" because the reality is, many "hoods" are really not "hoods" anymore, and are becoming areas of choice for a variety of reasons, including cheaper rents, proximity to the city, ethnic enclaves, and grittiness. Whites lived in the 70s and 80s in some rough areas in Manhattan (which are now "nice")....and this is no different than whites coming to the hoods in the boroughs. As of late I have been seeing an influx of whites into Mott Haven..and I am happy to see it, as it is long overdue.

Why is this a bad thing exactly? And for that matter..why is it okay to be resentful/annoyed/hostile towards white people entering "our" communities, but when people of color enter white communities and receive similar treatment, we shout racism, and paint whites as evil? You can't have it both ways people...instead of being insulting/rude/hostile/ignorant....you should treat them the way you expect to be treated..as a person, welcomed, and equal.

Old 07-22-2008, 09:56 AM

1,085 posts, read 2,292,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudbeckia View Post
lol....yes, the same thing, when I take the #6 to 110th st. mass exodus of the white people at 86th and 96th
Well, on the good side, it's not that bad a thing if you're on a crowded train and need to take a seat. Just stand in front of a white person and wait for him/her get off at 86th Street.

I think it's about a 70% success rate when it comes to me looking for a seat since I have to take the #5 all the way up. Of course, most of them that stay on either get off at 180th, Morris Park or Pelham Pkwy.

Old 07-22-2008, 10:38 AM

655 posts, read 1,992,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K 22 View Post
Well, on the good side, it's not that bad a thing if you're on a crowded train and need to take a seat. Just stand in front of a white person and wait for him/her get off at 86th Street.

I think it's about a 70% success rate when it comes to me looking for a seat since I have to take the #5 all the way up. Of course, most of them that stay on either get off at 180th, Morris Park or Pelham Pkwy.
Either that or stay in the back of the train. Everytime I get on at 42nd street and take the Four train uptown to the Yankee game, the last car is never full. It seems everyone concentrates in the middle of the train.

Old 07-23-2008, 07:54 PM

127 posts, read 547,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
I'm in the process of trying to get money together to buy the small apartment house my father grew up in off of Morris in the E 160's.

Good luck and welcome to the Bronx!

Old 07-24-2008, 02:08 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,836,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpsonDowns View Post
Uh no. Once again, I am a she. And there were only 7 "brown" faces on my subway car. Have any of you been at the 181 stop on the A in the morning? It is the platform is almost all white folks.
Agreed. Although the 1 train may primarily carry people of color, there are MANY white faces on the A train. My usual stop is 190th Street, and most of the passengers getting on/off are white.

Old 07-24-2008, 02:17 PM

3,225 posts, read 8,574,548 times
Good points, Guywithacause.

Someone in another concurrent thread mentioned how intimidated and uncomfortable she felt being subject to sexually demeaning comments from males when she went into certian neighborhoods where her pigmentation made her stand out.

Most decent men would condemn certain lewd sexual comments made to a stranger. For, after all, the comments mentioned went beyond, "Hey sexy, how're you doing," or "Hey beautiful." The comments mentioned were of a graphic sexual nature.

Unfortunately, when neighborhoods are segregated, this type of behavior is quite common. Many times in certain segregated neighborhoods, there is a segment of men who speak quite loosely to women fom their own locale. When someone who evidently is an outsider and who is not of the overwhelming majority appears, these guys feel even more verbose in expressing their disgusting comments.

It's also a fact of life that across America there are many segregated communities. I think one of the failures of the South Bronx in the 60's-70's was the heavy concentration of one or two economic classes.

It's absolutely a great thing for a neighborhood not to be excessively segregated.

Old 07-24-2008, 02:34 PM

1,278 posts, read 4,099,687 times
Agreed Miles, good post. Heavily segregated areas benefit no one.

Lol "where her pigmentation made her stand out" sounds funny. The poster and thread you are referring to wasn't white though, so I am not sure she was harassed b/c of that.

Unless you are referring to me b/c I was apart of that thread too and I am white, but I have decided being harassed by men is not b/c I am white, but more b/c I walk through areas of town where men just don't know any better.

Old 07-24-2008, 04:53 PM

473 posts, read 1,670,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by squeezeboxgal View Post
Agreed. Although the 1 train may primarily carry people of color, there are MANY white faces on the A train. My usual stop is 190th Street, and most of the passengers getting on/off are white.
people of color huh.... I see that thrown around here A LOT..... White is a color so people of color = everyone. Oh I get it - "white" people are the "default" , "colorless" people and then there are the "others"....

Old 07-24-2008, 04:59 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,836,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bx718 View Post
people of color huh.... I see that thrown around here A LOT..... White is a color so people of color = everyone. Oh I get it - "white" people are the "default" , "colorless" people and then there are the "others"....
I can only speak for myself. I'm so pale that I practically glow in the dark. If that's not "colorless," then I don't know what is .....

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 07-24-2008 at 05:28 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City