Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2010, 01:57 PM

1,809 posts, read 7,069,294 times

Advertisements

[quote=jwoodz56;14671899]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trag672 View Post
In the past guys have waited 10yrs to get hired.... i seen list numbers of like 25000 get hired. Some 20yr guys have very high list numbers. Ask them if it was worth the wait

IT WAS A LOTTERY SYSTEM BACK THEN , GUYS WITH LIST #'S OF 25,000 WOULD GET THE JOB BEFORE A LIST # OF 1,000...IT WAS LUCK OF THE DRAW, NAMES WERE PICKED OUT OF A HAT AS LONG AS YOU PASSED THE TEST...I THINK THEY CHANGED IT SOMETIME IN THE LATE 80'S OR EARLY 90'S

I KNOW THEY DIDNT HIRE IN 2001-02-03 AND LAYOFFS WERE IN 03....BUT AFTER THAT THEY WENT ON A HIRING SPREE IN 04,05,06,07 AND 2 CLASSES IN 08...MY BEST GUESS IS THEY HAVE TO HIRE BY 2012 WHEN THEY DO THEY WILL GO THRU THOUSANDS OF NAMES ON THE LIST... HOPEFULLY THE LIST GETS EXTENDED...SO FOR THE GUYS WAITING JUST HANG IN THERE CAUSE WHEN THEY HIRE THIS LIST WILL MOVE
Thanks for bringing that up,I believe they have given the written exam since 1999 when DCAS took over,then every 4 years-2003-2007. So what Trag was referring to was before that like you said in the 80's and 90's. One correction, they
hired 457 in 2001,...laid-off 515 sanman in may of 2003,brought everyone back by dec. 2003.

KingCals: I once remember Turkey Tuesday on here say that some senior men will celebrate if they have layoffs.

Old 06-18-2010, 02:29 PM

121 posts, read 250,047 times
[quote=vantastic10;14674017]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwoodz56 View Post

Thanks for bringing that up,I believe they have given the written exam since 1999 when DCAS took over,then every 4 years-2003-2007. So what Trag was referring to was before that like you said in the 80's and 90's. One correction, they
hired 457 in 2001,...laid-off 515 sanman in may of 2003,brought everyone back by dec. 2003.

KingCals: I once remember Turkey Tuesday on here say that some senior men will celebrate if they have layoffs.
During the last round of layoffs in 2003,everyone made charts virtually every week. Plus,overtime on top of that to dump trucks. Most routes were not being completed and work was being done around the clock,much like nite plow. Kingcals, I know it is frustrating. And Im not going to tell you to "get some time on the job". Your time will come. The only fair way to have overtime is by straight seniority. Without it then anyone that sucks up to the boss will get it before anyone else. I would hate to see anyone,dsny or otherwise laid off. It undermines our strength. if anything positive came out of the 2003 layoffs, Id have to say it caused quite a few senior men to retire afterward. Some were leaving anyway,but others made big bucks and decided they could afford to leave a little sooner than expected. That meant everyone moved up in seniority and the hiring started again in 2004.

Old 06-18-2010, 06:59 PM

116 posts, read 240,239 times
[quote=GTDriver;14674497]
Quote:
Originally Posted by vantastic10 View Post
During the last round of layoffs in 2003,everyone made charts virtually every week. Plus,overtime on top of that to dump trucks. Most routes were not being completed and work was being done around the clock,much like nite plow. Kingcals, I know it is frustrating. And Im not going to tell you to "get some time on the job". Your time will come. The only fair way to have overtime is by straight seniority. Without it then anyone that sucks up to the boss will get it before anyone else. I would hate to see anyone,dsny or otherwise laid off. It undermines our strength. if anything positive came out of the 2003 layoffs, Id have to say it caused quite a few senior men to retire afterward. Some were leaving anyway,but others made big bucks and decided they could afford to leave a little sooner than expected. That meant everyone moved up in seniority and the hiring started again in 2004.
So they lay off the junior guys & then have to pay the senior guys double to do the work??? How does that save money?

Old 06-18-2010, 07:18 PM

876 posts, read 2,143,983 times
[quote=WaitinginBklyn;14677594]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTDriver View Post

So they lay off the junior guys & then have to pay the senior guys double to do the work??? How does that save money?
Actually it didnt save money which is why the city brought everyone back. But to tell you the truth this may sound very native but I have faith in Harry. He has done good by us and I dont think we will have layoffs. h

Old 06-18-2010, 08:05 PM

156 posts, read 370,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaitinginBklyn View Post
from what I've been told, the extra money that gets paid in OT is just a drop in the bucket compared to the savings the city gets by not having to cover "X" amount of laid off workers health coverage...the real savings is in the health insurance...not sure if that's 100% accurate, but according to what I've heard, that's how real money gets saved (despite cancelled charts, extra OT, etc.)

I'm assuming Nespoli has done what he can, I'm pretty sure the economy has been worse these last 2 years than the last time there were layoffs (2003) and no one has lost their job as of now...there haven't been any new hires for 2 years, but no jobs lost...it's crazy, never did I think I'd be closer to top pay than my 1st day at FBF and basically have the same seniority

but still, the economy continues to be in the tank, the whole NY budget fiasco is a disaster, they still want a new pension tier (we're going on over a year since a very trusted steward told me no new hires until there's a Tier 5), they still want us to contribute to our health care costs, they're threatening to withhold raises...who knows what/when the breaking point will be

Old 06-19-2010, 06:32 AM

1,809 posts, read 7,069,294 times
KingCals: And what is the reason why you don't send in your resignation letter to the Commissioner if you think the job is getting worse and worse by the day? You just took this job as a stepping stone for another city job right?

Last edited by vantastic10; 06-19-2010 at 06:44 AM..

Old 06-19-2010, 07:23 AM

71 posts, read 131,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTDriver View Post
The only fair way to have overtime is by straight seniority. Without it then anyone that sucks up to the boss will get it before anyone else.
I disagree. Wouldn't it also be fair if overtime was offered on a rotating basis, like the Sunday or chart list? Just putting it out there... not looking for an argument.

Old 06-19-2010, 08:14 AM

231 posts, read 466,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pestie77 View Post
I disagree. Wouldn't it also be fair if overtime was offered on a rotating basis, like the Sunday or chart list? Just putting it out there... not looking for an argument.
The only time overtime is really unfair is when 2 senior guys run it up and dump and then 2 junior guys stay out and then one of those senior guys does the overtime. Even most senior guys think that is scummy, but some will do it. I think overtime trucks should be offered to those who stayed out on them. If both want it, then the senior of the 2 gets it. But when they go that could be easily sorted out between the guys who want overtime and those that dont. I am always a no for overtime, but i like to stay out. I think if neither of the guys who stayed out want the overtime, then let it go by seniority. My opinion.

Old 06-19-2010, 10:42 AM

372 posts, read 830,738 times
lol hand in my resignation lol just stating some facts for guys on the job to hear that wat this forum is for rite to tell guys things they hear and see....just saying in my short time on the job i have seen some serious changes for the worse....

Old 06-19-2010, 10:48 AM

876 posts, read 2,143,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJU2000 View Post
The only time overtime is really unfair is when 2 senior guys run it up and dump and then 2 junior guys stay out and then one of those senior guys does the overtime. Even most senior guys think that is scummy, but some will do it. I think overtime trucks should be offered to those who stayed out on them. If both want it, then the senior of the 2 gets it. But when they go that could be easily sorted out between the guys who want overtime and those that dont. I am always a no for overtime, but i like to stay out. I think if neither of the guys who stayed out want the overtime, then let it go by seniority. My opinion.
That is when you slash this tires, since he will be on overtime he wont be around to see who has done that. The problem with this job is the senior men, they dont care if they screw the junior men as long as they get what they want. From what I see the guys that came in 90 and 93 are the worse. A lot worse then those that came in the 80s. I would like to know if I am the only one who notices this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City