Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2009, 07:55 PM

3 posts, read 7,923 times

Advertisements

wow. this thread took a change. This is my first post and I was reading teh beginning and I figured if I jumped to the end it would be out of hand. Instead I find "hipster" jokes and scenic A train ride comments. For the record, though, I say the 7 is the best for one reason and one reason alone. If anyone has road pass the 5 pointz graffiti wall by Court Sq rd I believe they would agree. The sheer size of this production is out of this world!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2009, 04:05 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,610,917 times
That's only true if you consider graffiti to be art...rather than the vandalism it actually is. (News flash: when you mark up something that isn't supposed to be marked up, you can use whatever rationalization you like, but it's still vandalism).

Old 02-21-2009, 08:43 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,137,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
That's only true if you consider graffiti to be art...rather than the vandalism it actually is. (News flash: when you mark up something that isn't supposed to be marked up, you can use whatever rationalization you like, but it's still vandalism).
The graffiti covered building mentioned, 5 Pointz, is a rare example of legal graffiti. The landlord gave full permission.

Here's a video
5-Pointz - Legal Graffiti in Queens, NYC.

Old 02-21-2009, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
The graffiti covered building mentioned, 5 Pointz, is a rare example of legal graffiti. The landlord gave full permission.

Here's a video
5-Pointz - Legal Graffiti in Queens, NYC.

...In which case, it is not vandalism but artwork. More of that around the city would only be a good thing.

Old 02-22-2009, 06:13 AM

2,636 posts, read 6,650,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saobi View Post
Why does New York City have such disrepaired subway system? Don't tell me it is because it is old. London and Tokyo's system are only slighly younger, but in much much better and modern condition. Where did the money for the subway being used on? To put more smell into the platforms?
You've gotta be kidding. The London Underground is like riding a sardine tin around the inside of a pressure cooker, only without the charm or comfort. The NYC Subway is like a breath of fresh air in comparison.

Last edited by happynoodleboycey; 02-22-2009 at 06:22 AM..

Old 02-22-2009, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happynoodleboycey View Post
You've gotta be kidding. The London Underground is like riding a sardine tin around the inside of a pressure cooker, only without the charm or comfort. The NYC Subway is like a breath of fresh air in comparison.
Never forget that New York City is the Complaining Capital of the United States. And those complaints don't have to be particularly justified, either. This just happens to be a city where we like to complain about things. (Even as I type these words, I can think of half a dozen things to complain about. It's quite an effort to hold them back!)

Old 02-22-2009, 07:44 PM

283 posts, read 1,072,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happynoodleboycey View Post
Yeah -- everyone conveniently overlooks the fact that the Tube has NO AIR CONDITIONING. Can you even imagine the kind of b'ing and moaning you'd hear in NYC if that were the case on the subway here?

Old 02-23-2009, 12:12 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,137,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiecupdrinking View Post
Yeah -- everyone conveniently overlooks the fact that the Tube has NO AIR CONDITIONING. Can you even imagine the kind of b'ing and moaning you'd hear in NYC if that were the case on the subway here?
And I heard from a Japanese friend that they do in fact have cars for ladies only. But the women don't always want to ride in them because with more room in the cars they fall over more easily as the metal straphangers are too difficult to grab on to. In the mixed cars, it's true it's more crowded and as a woman you might be pressed up against some guy you'd rather not be pressed up against, but at least you don't have to worry about wobbling and falling over because those stupid metal bars to hang onto are not designed right!!

Guess New York subways have better poles and better air conditioning. We don't have it so bad after all!

Old 02-23-2009, 06:51 AM

At one time, it came a little closer to home than Japan. PATH or, more accurately, the Hudson Tubes railroad that preceded PATH, actually experimented with ladies-only cars as far back as 1910. Evidently, it didn't work out too well, because they dropped it fairly quickly.

Old 02-23-2009, 06:55 AM

72 posts, read 190,365 times
at least the trains are newer
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City