Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2013, 04:21 PM

2,776 posts, read 1,842,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mym View Post
i also like how you only have to swipe once to use the subway. not swipe to get on and then to get off.
And in Parisian subway you also must open the car's door on your stop yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2013, 04:28 PM
mym

706 posts, read 1,171,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by musiqum View Post
And in Parisian subway you also must open the car's door on your stop yourself.
yeah I've seen that at other places. you can always tell the out of towners cuz they just stand there waiting.

that wouldn't be so bad cuz it keeps cold air or hot air out, but you know some jackhole would just stand in front of the buttons if they had that in nyc

Old 10-23-2013, 04:28 PM

1,521 posts, read 1,817,815 times
I dunno, I like the subway. It's like a mini adventure every time plus you see all kinds of people from all walks of life. Hate the loud ghetto people though.

Old 10-23-2013, 04:41 PM

364 posts, read 708,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mym View Post
damn man, i am so sorry.

i also like how you only have to swipe once to use the subway. not swipe to get on and then to get off.
Don't be sorry lol I don't live there.

Old 10-23-2013, 11:34 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,240,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason_show View Post
It's deplorable. I ride the trains and usually they're so crowded that I have to wait for 3 or 4 to go by before I can get on. Why the 7 local train runs only every 8 minutes (on average) during rush hour is beyond me.

I see trash on the tracks that had to be there at least a dozen years...newspapers from the 1990's and soda cans from brands that went extinct years ago. It is not cleaned.
Its true. During rush hour the last few days I had to let to trains pass before I could get on and I'm on the B line. It runs every 9-10 minutes. Perhaps they need to do every 6.
Tonight I was coming home at midnight and the train was packed in just like rush hour. Luckily everyone got on. Perhaps the need to consider night time isn't slow time like it use to be and run trains more often instead of every 20 minutes.

Old 10-28-2013, 08:36 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,089,626 times
Well, I am not sure the NYC system is the WORST, but I am sure it is the FILTHIEST.

Old 10-28-2013, 06:52 PM

2,919 posts, read 2,582,290 times
Default Subway dirt is the new green

Quote:
Originally Posted by saobi View Post
Even in the worst part of a third world city like San Paula Brazil this type of service and facility will not be acceptable. Walking inside a New York Subway station is similar to walking to a tunnel into a prison. Dilapidated walls, black gum on the ground, unhearable voices in the speakers, water dripping. When I walk the stairs to take the uptown 6 train, it smells like human feces have spoiled over one century. The trains pass like there's an earthquake, standing inside the subway station for too long will reduce your lifespan for sure. Every weekend, every train is re-route, ridiculous.

This is a environmental hazard place, should be shutdown by in inspectors.

Why does New York City have such disrepaired subway system? Don't tell me it is because it is old. London and Tokyo's system are only slighly younger, but in much much better and modern condition. Where did the money for the subway being used on? To put more smell into the platforms?

Do not understand, totally do not understand. Please give me an explanation.

I have an explanation, but I am afraid I am not allowed to say it here.
I don't know if it's the worst in the world but I'm willing to bet it's the nastiest, dirtiest in the world. They get $2.50 per person one-way from millions of people per day and yet they can not hire a two-person cleaning crew at $15 an hour at each station to clean those gaping stairways and cesspool platforms full of garbage, gum, dirt, saliva, feces, urine, blood, sex fluids, rat pee, and God knows what else. It's ridiculous! MTA at $2.50 a ride and the tolls are the biggest rip-offs in this country! The government should intervene.

Old 10-28-2013, 07:00 PM

ONE WORD for the reason - UNIONS. Every time the MTA has a few extra bucks from a fare hike, the UNIONS squeeze them for it. That's why there is no money to improve the system. The 2nd Ave line is built on a mountain of debt.

The union has its faults but can't be blamed for this. Plain and simple -- MTA hikes goes in someone's pockets and it's not the union's pocket.

Old 10-28-2013, 07:08 PM

Part of the filth of our system is from the class of people who live in this dump we call NYC. Most blue and white collar workers are fine but the ghetto thugs and punk loudmouths have no respect for anything and litter all over the place.

Absolutely! Plus, there is no punitive action for people littering, being loud, vulgar, aggressive, or dangerous on the train or in the station. Any and everything goes! The no-class, no home-training riff-raff wouldn't get away with this living in any other city, especially in the southern states, but welfare-prone-ghetto-celebrated NYC.

Old 10-28-2013, 07:14 PM

195 posts, read 348,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klassyhk View Post
Part of the filth of our system is from the class of people who live in this dump we call NYC. Most blue and white collar workers are fine but the ghetto thugs and punk loudmouths have no respect for anything and litter all over the place.

Absolutely! Plus, there is no punitive action for people littering, being loud, vulgar, aggressive, or dangerous on the train or in the station. Any and everything goes! The no-class, no home-training riff-raff wouldn't get away with this living in any other city, especially in the southern states, but welfare-prone-ghetto-celebrated NYC.
thats the part of the city that you don't like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City