Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2009, 05:18 PM

37,121 posts, read 39,337,475 times

Advertisements

If the original poster is really that bothered by these things, then he should consider helping out with the straphangers campaign or transportation alternatives.

Though really, starting off by saying NYC's subway system is the worst in the world is utterly ridiculous by anyone who took even a minute to consider what they're saying. The only real beef I have with the subway is how often services change, and how fairly cheap and extremely useful procedures/modifications to the system aren't really being done (something like posting changes/modifications/maintenance signs at the entrances of stations or tunnels would do a lot, and also having the week's schedule changes posted within the trains themselves).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2009, 05:19 PM

5,719 posts, read 6,445,137 times
The NYC subway is the same fare no matter where you go, right? So that alone gives it a huge advantage over most other subways IMO.

I have never been on it; the only subway I've ever ridden was in Washington, DC.

Old 02-25-2009, 07:55 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,589,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
If the original poster is really that bothered by these things, then he should consider helping out with the straphangers campaign or transportation alternatives.

Though really, starting off by saying NYC's subway system is the worst in the world is utterly ridiculous by anyone who took even a minute to consider what they're saying.
...Which goes to show that the OP didn't take as long as a minute to consider anything. (Helping out is, of course, never an option for the dedicated complainer!)

Old 02-25-2009, 11:52 PM

23,209 posts, read 29,018,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TunaBoy View Post
But thats nyc, everything is old, classical, and vintage. It wouldnt be charactersitic of nyc to look squeaky clean
I made my first trip to NYC in December, having not been there for 20 years, and I had been reading about how much NYC had been cleaned upover the years, and that's why I kept delaying my decision to re-visit NYC, fearful that it had become TOO clean and sterile, for this frequent traveler to Central America. I grew up in a city (Rochester, MN) where they all but wash down the sidewalks with Pine Sol every night, and today, I feel most uncomfortable in those kind of cities.

Having gotten a 5 day subway pass, and having ridden the trains all over the city, even out through the Bronx, I had no complaints whatsoever and loved every single minute of my train trips. I have ridden the subway in Tokyo and it's all so clean and sterile it almost made me puke. I agree, it wouldn't be characteristic of NYC to sleek it all up and sterilize the system.
Keep it the way it is!!!

Old 02-26-2009, 10:46 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,589,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Having gotten a 5 day subway pass, and having ridden the trains all over the city, even out through the Bronx, I had no complaints whatsoever and loved every single minute of my train trips. I have ridden the subway in Tokyo and it's all so clean and sterile it almost made me puke. I agree, it wouldn't be characteristic of NYC to sleek it all up and sterilize the system.
Keep it the way it is!!!
Aww...as an employee of our friendly local transit authority, comments like that almost make me feel...appreciated!

Old 03-07-2009, 05:32 PM

3 posts, read 7,920 times
Question really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
That's only true if you consider graffiti to be art...rather than the vandalism it actually is. (News flash: when you mark up something that isn't supposed to be marked up, you can use whatever rationalization you like, but it's still vandalism).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
...In which case, it is not vandalism but artwork. More of that around the city would only be a good thing.
why are you turning this into that? I was just telling you what train ride i felt was most scenic. If you don't like graffiti then that's your deal. Whether legal or not. Beauty is beauty. We'll handle the legalities later. They change with the weather.

Old 03-08-2009, 06:17 AM

5 posts, read 11,897 times
I agree that NYC subways are "dirtier" than those I ride in Paris for instance, but I'd rather have a not-so-clean 24hrs 7/7 NYC subway than subways that stop at 1.15am during the week or 2am on weekends in Paris.... Trust me our subways may be cleaner but they stop so EARLY and that really SUCKS!!!
If you go out in Paris but don't live in the center, good luck finding a way to get back home after 1 or 2am, especially if you live in the "boroughs" aka "banlieues".... Cabs over here are super expensive and most of them usually don't like driving into the banlieues...
I definitely miss the 24/24 NY subway!

Old 03-08-2009, 02:25 PM

32 posts, read 134,267 times
NY subway is ok, I remember in the 80's and 90's, it was real dirty and dangerous. Graffitti, bums, drunks, beggars, thugs. Now it is a paradise compared to those days, quite clean and running 24hrs. And yes, Paris sucks, they close the place up to early and no way to get anywhere. I think NY subway is one of the best and cheapest in the World.

Old 03-17-2009, 03:45 PM

28 posts, read 145,317 times
I think the London subway is the worst in the world.

During the summer time the trains go extremely slow, even at night, because they are afraid the tracks will bend.

Even more irritating, there is no AC, so during the summer the trains are like steam rooms.

I used to work late in the City (Financial district) and it would take me over an hour to do a trip that should only take 20 minutes.

It is cleaner than NYC, but after going through all that nonsense in London, I can't call the NYC subway the worst.

Don't get me stated on the Boston subway.

Old 07-28-2010, 01:34 PM

2 posts, read 4,544 times
I wholeheartedly agree with Saobi
I heavily use this wretched system, and let me tell you: those who read Stephen King's Dark Tower, know of the train: Bliane the Mono, otherwise known as Blaine the Pain. MTA. is painfully disgusting, inefficient and consequently unreliable.
I remember waiting for an express bus (yes they too are part of the MTA, and not all of us, Rachel, live in Manhattan or Downtonw Brooklyn, where the commute takes five minutes. For me it sometimes lasts three hours one way.) According to the schedule they were suppose to be running. Nothing came. I later found out that the schedule on the bus stop was invalid.
I've taken trains at 4 in the morning, and the way they operate mind as well take a cab.
When you have two sets of tracks cleaning should not be a problem. Do you how many commuters Moscow Metro has. It is remarkably clean, and efficient. 75mph. That is fast. Except for infrequent occasions (in which the trains read an amazing 40 mph) trains drag slamming on the breaks, so that everything and everyone falls. 75mph Moscow trains or Munich trains gently slow and just as gently stop. So you enter a human being and you leave as one.
Those who run that so very efficient system, should also use it. I wonder if they would consider it then to be efficient.
Back to fast Express: try 4 or the 5: Rush Hour: from Franklin St, Brooklyn to Brooklyn Bridge, Manhattan, or from Brooklyn to 125 St.

The system is in dire need of new management, preferably the one that is housed in New York City and not in Albany. Most countries, including Germany and Russia, provide subsidies for their Metro Systems. German System is more expensive, but far from being un-affordable.
I have yet to meet a person who rides the MTA Subway on daily basis for more than 3 stops and thinks it is fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City