Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2012, 08:20 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,130,940 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltopjay View Post
I'm in the minority to make a real difference however voicing my opinion on CD allows me to hit some NYers who side with ghetto people. I let it be known that they are worthless uncivil people who serve no use but to leech off other people's hard work.
Or your posts could get some people to round up every single ghetto person they know and send them to your neighborhood, just to **** you off. Where'd you say you lived, again? Norwood, right?

Quote:
Spoken like a true hood person. Good stay where you are. We don't need people like you and your kind moving into white neighborhoods and ruining it. Please stay where you are or better yet move out of NY all together so your neighborhood can be gentrified and become safer than the sh1t hole it current is.
So somebody who doesn't want to live in an all-White neighborhood is a hood person now?

See, you claim you're not a closet racist, but at the same time, you're assuming that because their neighborhood isn't a White neighborhood, it must automatically be the hood. You're right. If it isn't "plain vanilla", it's automatically the hood. (Because he said he would be content with "a little bit of color". He never said it had to be completely devoid of White people).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2012, 09:01 PM

402 posts, read 811,782 times
I think In this day an age a "White neighborhood or area", isnt really a white neighborhood.. But a neighborhood where minorities are the minority ... and its overall a decent/better than average place to live. Because a fair percentage of Hispanics, Asians, Blacks, White's look at as "just like us" as long as there not "ghetto".. BTW, I'd estimate that 6-9% of NYC population is Hispanics whom would be considered White.. Im not talking census/ self indentify as something because hispanic isnt a race.... and also most Asians especially those born in US White's would not consider as minorities or a population whom generally decrease value and QOL.

Old 12-24-2012, 11:14 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,980,472 times
Quote:
Spoken like a true hood person. Good stay where you are. We don't need people like you and your kind moving into white neighborhoods and ruining it. Please stay where you are or better yet move out of NY all together so your neighborhood can be gentrified and become safer than the sh1t hole it current is.
There's a problem with what you want. Not every rich person or every well off white person wants to live in NY. (Yes, other people on this thread, there are many well off people of color, the same to them as well). People move to where there are JOBS. There are high paying jobs in other cities, states, and countries.

The bottom line is you will never gentrify the whole city. Sure, the city could do like Chicago and blow up housing projects, etc. But that still won't cause Williamsburg style gentrification everywhere.

A certain number of people with money like big homes and huge estates, which are in short supply in the city. NYC overdeveloped itself, and unless the city intends to do large scale demolition, this is uncorrectable.

Areas like Williamsburg tend to attract a lot of transients, college students, artists, interns, etc people starting their careers off . Some will stay, but many will be gone in a year or two. The West and East Village get people who really live elsewhere ,but want to rent or own in NYC for awhile (not necessarily permanently). There aren't enough well paying jobs or well to do New Yorkers to sustain gentrification, which is why the city is so dependent upon renting or selling to transients.

Old 12-25-2012, 04:17 AM

579 posts, read 945,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mps0909 View Post
I think In this day an age a "White neighborhood or area", isnt really a white neighborhood.. But a neighborhood where minorities are the minority ... and its overall a decent/better than average place to live. Because a fair percentage of Hispanics, Asians, Blacks, White's look at as "just like us" as long as there not "ghetto".. BTW, I'd estimate that 6-9% of NYC population is Hispanics whom would be considered White.. Im not talking census/ self indentify as something because hispanic isnt a race.... and also most Asians especially those born in US White's would not consider as minorities or a population whom generally decrease value and QOL.
This quote says it all in my opinion. NYC neighborhoods that are predominantly one race are decreasing fast. Most of what I see are neighborhoods in transition where all types are moving in and out. I think a lot of it is due to the new economy. More service jobs, less manufacturing. Also the price of gasoline will have a major effect on where all people chose to live. Already people are preferring to live in areas that have walkable downtowns so that a car is not needed to go and get a quart of milk. Funny, but that is exactly what the Bronx was like when I grew up in the 60's. Few of us had cars back then (too poor to afford one) so it was necessary to live somewhere with good public transportation. People today are looking for that now that gasoline is over $4 a gallon. If it goes higher, you may see the value of areas in the Bronx, Brooklyn and Queens become more valuable.

Another factor that people are all realizing is that moving to the suburbs in no guarantee that you can protect your children anymore. Newtown, CT just proved that.

Old 12-25-2012, 04:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pietrang View Post
This quote says it all in my opinion. NYC neighborhoods that are predominantly one race are decreasing fast. Most of what I see are neighborhoods in transition where all types are moving in and out. I think a lot of it is due to the new economy. More service jobs, less manufacturing. Also the price of gasoline will have a major effect on where all people chose to live. Already people are preferring to live in areas that have walkable downtowns so that a car is not needed to go and get a quart of milk. Funny, but that is exactly what the Bronx was like when I grew up in the 60's. Few of us had cars back then (too poor to afford one) so it was necessary to live somewhere with good public transportation. People today are looking for that now that gasoline is over $4 a gallon. If it goes higher, you may see the value of areas in the Bronx, Brooklyn and Queens become more valuable.

Another factor that people are all realizing is that moving to the suburbs in no guarantee that you can protect your children anymore. Newtown, CT just proved that.
Most Americans nationally still drive, and put it like this, enough New Yorkers drive to crowd the freeways and the streets here. The train network here is extremely vulnerable to poor weather, and after the poor weather is gone, it takes a lot longer to get it online than it does regular roads.

Don't get me wrong, I currently take public transportation. But its not the be all of getting around.

Old 12-25-2012, 04:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Most Americans nationally still drive, and put it like this, enough New Yorkers drive to crowd the freeways and the streets here. The train network here is extremely vulnerable to poor weather, and after the poor weather is gone, it takes a lot longer to get it online than it does regular roads.

Don't get me wrong, I currently take public transportation. But its not the be all of getting around.
I think you're looking at this too narrowly. Yes, most of America still drives; but that's because most of America does not have access to public transport to the same level as NYC residents do. As for NYC transit, after Sandy most of it was up and running pretty quickly. Obviously when there is no public transport, people have no choice but to resort to cars; however, with the price of gasoline at current levels, people are forced to make choices: living closer to work to shorten driving times and commutation expense; moving to areas that offer more choice and convenience.

I see from your posts on other threads that you say you are a young professional who lives in NYC. I am an older professional who lived in the suburbs and has recently moved back to the Bronx. From what I read and hear from people at work (I work in Midtown), few young people are seeking out a suburban existence and want to live as close to work as possible. Few have cars and would rather not own one seeing the expense as unnecessary. Even as they have kids, they are not all seeking to move to the burbs anymore.

Old 12-25-2012, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pietrang View Post
I see from your posts on other threads that you say you are a young professional who lives in NYC. I am an older professional who lived in the suburbs and has recently moved back to the Bronx. From what I read and hear from people at work (I work in Midtown), few young people are seeking out a suburban existence and want to live as close to work as possible. Few have cars and would rather not own one seeing the expense as unnecessary. Even as they have kids, they are not all seeking to move to the burbs anymore.
Of course, if they had cars they likely wouldn't seek out employment in tall office buildings that have no parking, now would they? On the other hand, people who work as doctors or nurses, in NYC itself, often have cars. You can't know for certainly you'll get a job at hospital A, which is a convenient subway ride to you. So ultimately, a car is necessary. I know a person living in Manhattan, but who worked in geriatric medicine in Westchester. And yes, he drove to work.

Cops and fireman drive to work (free parking). Teachers often do too. Often those who work in education do. For starters, not all schools, colleges, and universities in NY have easy transit access. Often you have to drive.

A lot of jobs in midtown Manhattan are ****ty variations of clerical/secretarial jobs, and on those jobs, no, you do not make enough money to have a car. You barely get by, and yes, I have known plenty of young people in that position. They stay that way, until things fall apart, and they have to move back in with their parents. Only the next young eager person comes into town, to take a comparatively low paying office position.

And for the record, I am not interested in working in Midtown Manhattan on a regular basis, I personally pretty much hate the place and I definitely had rush hour jammed trains.

Old 12-25-2012, 05:14 AM

2,517 posts, read 4,256,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mps0909 View Post
This!

Old 12-25-2012, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Of course, if they had cars they likely wouldn't seek out employment in tall office buildings that have no parking, now would they? On the other hand, people who work as doctors or nurses, in NYC itself, often have cars. You can't know for certainly you'll get a job at hospital A, which is a convenient subway ride to you. So ultimately, a car is necessary. I know a person living in Manhattan, but who worked in geriatric medicine in Westchester. And yes, he drove to work.

Cops and fireman drive to work (free parking). Teachers often do too. Often those who work in education do. For starters, not all schools, colleges, and universities in NY have easy transit access. Often you have to drive.
I think your premise is a bit off. If I understand your point, you are saying that a person living in NYC (all five boroughs?) who has a car would prefer to work somewhere where they can drive and park their car. I think that people try to work in the field they desire and then find a job in that field wherever that may be. They then make the choice how to commute to that job based on their income level and what they prefer. Therefore, some will drive and pay the high cost and some will take public transit if avaialble even if they have a car. I see it as an economic "rational man" situation.

Old 12-25-2012, 05:47 AM

Quote:
A lot of jobs in midtown Manhattan are ****ty variations of clerical/secretarial jobs, and on those jobs, no, you do not make enough money to have a car. You barely get by, and yes, I have known plenty of young people in that position. They stay that way, until things fall apart, and they have to move back in with their parents. Only the next young eager person comes into town, to take a comparatively low paying office position.

And for the record, I am not interested in working in Midtown Manhattan on a regular basis, I personally pretty much hate the place and I definitely had rush hour jammed trains.
Dude, my post was not a personal attack on you. While there are lousy jobs in offices, there are also a lot of jobs in Midtown that are great as well, good paying, interesting and self-fullfilling. The ones in my office are. We get applications from thousands of people for the few positions we offer even when the job market is better. I respect your opinion about office work and commuting by public transport but I don't think it fair to generalize it. I have done both in my career, driven to work and taken public transport. My preference is public transport because I find driving in heavy traffic to be unbearable. But that is my preference. I understand that there are many people who feel differently than I.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City