Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2009, 03:58 PM

391 posts, read 1,249,522 times

Advertisements

Tom Leykis is the truth!

Old 01-17-2009, 05:34 PM

456 posts, read 1,397,557 times
An excerpt from a wikipedia article on Tom Leykis:

Leykis is currently single with no children. He was raised Catholic, but is an atheist. He has been married and divorced four times, a fact that he unabashedly proclaims on-air regularly.[7]
One marriage was to television reporter Christina Gonzalez, who was caught cheating after Leykis investigated some receipts he found.[3] Another marriage, which lasted one year, was with a Seattle woman in 1989,[15] who was a listener of his show.[3]
His fourth wife, Susan Drew Leykis, who first met Leykis at a Los Angeles Kings game,[3] filed a police report against him while they were married and living in Boston in 1993. On December 22 of that year, she alleged that Leykis assaulted and threatened to kill her during a fight after they returned home from a radio station Christmas party. He was subsequently charged with "felony assault and battery and threatening to commit a crime"; a police officer found bruises and scratches on the woman.[8] In March 1994, Leykis was sentenced to a year of probation and ordered to attend a domestic violence class. He completed both, and the charges were dropped, although Leykis did not admit guilt as part of the agreement. The couple has since divorced.[8]
In August 2004, Leykis was attacked outside a Seattle bar, causing him to require 17 stitches over one eye, and leaving him with scratches and bruises. The assailant reportedly had an accomplice who accused Leykis of calling him a name and hanging up on him when he called the show, when the other man kicked him in the face.The attacker then later took a knife out. At that time the police came. Tom Leykis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 01-17-2009, 08:38 PM

3,225 posts, read 8,576,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indi9 View Post
An excerpt from a wikipedia article on Tom Leykis:

Leykis is currently single with no children. He was raised Catholic, but is an atheist. He has been married and divorced four times, a fact that he unabashedly proclaims on-air regularly.[7]
One marriage was to television reporter Christina Gonzalez, who was caught cheating after Leykis investigated some receipts he found.[3] Another marriage, which lasted one year, was with a Seattle woman in 1989,[15] who was a listener of his show.[3]
His fourth wife, Susan Drew Leykis, who first met Leykis at a Los Angeles Kings game,[3] filed a police report against him while they were married and living in Boston in 1993. On December 22 of that year, she alleged that Leykis assaulted and threatened to kill her during a fight after they returned home from a radio station Christmas party. He was subsequently charged with "felony assault and battery and threatening to commit a crime"; a police officer found bruises and scratches on the woman.[8] In March 1994, Leykis was sentenced to a year of probation and ordered to attend a domestic violence class. He completed both, and the charges were dropped, although Leykis did not admit guilt as part of the agreement. The couple has since divorced.[8]
In August 2004, Leykis was attacked outside a Seattle bar, causing him to require 17 stitches over one eye, and leaving him with scratches and bruises. The assailant reportedly had an accomplice who accused Leykis of calling him a name and hanging up on him when he called the show, when the other man kicked him in the face.The attacker then later took a knife out. At that time the police came. Tom Leykis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
guess this fella always struck out.

Old 01-17-2009, 08:40 PM
Riv

236 posts, read 604,627 times
I'm just going to answer this briefly then I'm shutting up because the mods here see my name on one of these "why are NY relationships so lousy" threads and BOOM! 90% of the forum reads, half the forum answers my TOO honest posts and then the mods decide to throw the controversially thought provoking thread into the relationship forum.............so here's my learned opinion and then I'm outta here, kids:

Dating/romance became impossibly hard in NY when the "adult" "sophisticated" NY trendsetters decided that the dating game was preferable to getting and staying married so what else can you expect until you grow up and settle down with one person for life.

Old 01-18-2009, 07:31 AM

Yes, when dating is treated or experienced as a game, imo, it leaves room for many people who have some growing yet to do to treat other human beings as objects of pleasure to be sampled at will--the more the better--with no intention to get to know the person or to actually build or create a meaningful relationship. I call this consumer dating. On the other hand, even though this is pretty rare, there is still a form of dating in which, I think, more mature individuals take the time to get to know each other and to build or create a relationship that is meaningful and lasting, often on their way toward meeting the person with whom they are ready to settle down and create a life together and possibly a family. Through these short-term or long-term relationships, lasting anywhere from six months to maybe two years, they develop the skills needed to have a happy and healthy marriage. They also learn who they are in various relationships and in the larger communities of friends, family, etc.. Years and years ago, this form of dating was called courtship. Other more contemporary takes on it have been explored in Deeper Dating workshops and in books such as Charlotte Kasl's If the Buddha Dated (for a more spiritual approach, not for Buddhists only). Some also call it conscious dating. I think we need to be careful. I don't think dating is the problem. As with anything in life, the quality of the dating experience depends on the qualities or characters of the people involved. Imo and in my experience there can be as many problems with instant marriage as with consumer dating, in which people are treated as objects to be used or played with.

Leykis 101 proponents have admittedly called themselves "the hit it and quit it club." This is clearly not what I had in mind when I began this thread, but it has been made clear to me that there is a critical mass, if not a majority, of folks here who approach dating with this mentality. Sadly, there are also folks who approach marriage this way as well, which explains the high rate of divorce.

Old 01-18-2009, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indi9 View Post
Yes, when dating is treated or experienced as a game, imo, it leaves room for many people who have some growing yet to do to treat other human beings as objects of pleasure to be sampled at will--the more the better--with no intention to get to know the person or to actually build or create a meaningful relationship. I call this consumer dating. On the other hand, even though this is pretty rare, there is still a form of dating in which, I think, more mature individuals take the time to get to know each other and to build or create a relationship that is meaningful and lasting, often on their way toward meeting the person with whom they are ready to settle down and create a life together and possibly a family. Through these short-term or long-term relationships, lasting anywhere from six months to maybe two years, they develop the skills needed to have a happy and healthy marriage. They also learn who they are in various relationships and in the larger communities of friends, family, etc.. Years and years ago, this form of dating was called courtship. Other more contemporary takes on it have been explored in Deeper Dating workshops and in books such as Charlotte Kasl's If the Buddha Dated (for a more spiritual approach, not for Buddhists only). Some also call it conscious dating. I think we need to be careful. I don't think dating is the problem. As with anything in life, the quality of the dating experience depends on the qualities or characters of the people involved. Imo and in my experience there can be as many problems with instant marriage as with consumer dating, in which people are treated as objects to be used or played with.

Leykis 101 proponents have admittedly called themselves "the hit it and quit it club." This is clearly not what I had in mind when I began this thread, but it has been made clear to me that there is a critical mass, if not a majority, of folks here who approach dating with this mentality. Sadly, there are also folks who approach marriage this way as well, which explains the high rate of divorce.
Excellent post, Indi!

Old 01-18-2009, 09:43 AM

12,115 posts, read 33,697,478 times
Default I've given up all hope

I'm 47, straight as an arrow but just feel that there is nothing i can be or do that can satisfy a potential partner. i've never been married and I doubt i ever will

Old 01-18-2009, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
I'm 47, straight as an arrow but just feel that there is nothing i can be or do that can satisfy a potential partner. i've never been married and I doubt i ever will
Do you mean satisfying on an emotional or intellectual or physical level or on all of these?

Old 01-18-2009, 10:00 AM

12,115 posts, read 33,697,478 times
Default Miles

the way I feel today I think i mean in terms of not being able to live up to their ideal image of provider, lover

emotionally intellectually and spiritually i probably can

i've been told i'm overly sensitive at times but interpersonal relationships just never came easy to me

Old 01-18-2009, 10:02 AM

rlrl, you have my compassion, but I don't think that this is what a healthy relationship is all about. The best relationships I have had were not about weighing in on how much I could do for my partner, or what he could do for me. It was about two people discovering or rediscovering ourselves, learning, growing, loving, being, and building together--complementing each other and forming a team. Synergy...

I have been in some very very short-lived relationships here in NYC where I was judged by what I could do or be for these, I think, confused individuals who seemed to be mistaking dating for shopping.

You never know what the future holds, rlrl. But again, I can relate. I haven't given up on love, but I have come to terms with the fact that the odds are definitely not in my favor in terms of meeting that certain someone here. My style of loving has turned out not be what most people are looking for here. Like you, my sensitivity is considered by many to be a weakness here. Quite the opposite in other places, where sensitivity is recognized as the ability to be empathic, compassionate, or tuned in--an absolute must-have in an intimate relationship. Not so necessary in superficial relationships. Thank God I travel.

Hope this helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City