Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2015, 05:31 AM

4,587 posts, read 2,596,069 times

Advertisements

Fordham Heights would be west Fordham near University Ave, no ?. There is a Kingsbridge Heights. I predict parts of the Bronx will be gentrified in 20 years. But not Melrose or Port Morris as they are ugly areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2015, 05:23 PM

1,496 posts, read 2,236,702 times
We white folks love anything to do with a "Heights". For some reason we prefer to live up on hills, looking down on the rest of the area. I have no idea why this is so, but I find it as a strong, almost irrational preference in myself and it seems to be borne out in real estate values in many places.

Old 12-30-2015, 10:11 AM

119 posts, read 339,345 times
Same people who called HARLEM.... Upper west side...

Old 12-30-2015, 03:14 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,924,567 times
Does anyone actually know anything about the area ?

Because I don't, nor do they. Fordham Heights was the indicated area in the apartment listing they saw.

Interesting to learn that "white folks" love anything including "heights." I had no idea. Live and learn about the races.

Any case, I doubt these two care. And they aren't both white.

Old 12-30-2015, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bxlover View Post
Fordham Heights would be west Fordham near University Ave, no ?.
This is what I envisioned, and not with a good feeling either.
West of the D train at Fordham Road ...?

Old 12-30-2015, 05:11 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,336,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by high iron View Post
We white folks love anything to do with a "Heights". For some reason we prefer to live up on hills, looking down on the rest of the area.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
Interesting to learn that "white folks" love anything including "heights." I had no idea. Live and learn about the races.
The traditional reason people settle on high areas is that low areas being near water tend to be mosquito infested, have polluted water, and along the water itself is usually developed for water-borne commerce. Also, higher areas tend to get a cool breeze in summer, and catch the sun in winter.

You see this settlement pattern in Europe and Africa, so it is not some inborn primal proclivity for Whites and it is not to 'look down' on other people either. because after a certain point, the higher you go, poor people start to settle because the rich people want to live up high, but they don't want to climb the damn mountain after work everyday. See the mountainside favelas in Brazilian cities, for example.

Old 01-02-2016, 06:23 AM

3,357 posts, read 4,629,510 times
Quote:

Because I don't, nor do they. Fordham Heights was the indicated area in the apartment listing they saw.

I knew someone who lived in the Fordham Hill Coops and really liked it (I assume it's close by). Otherwise, I don't think it's considered to be a very nice area. I'd prefer Bedford Park, Norwood, Pelham Parkway or Kingsbridge west of Broadway, or even Belmont around or above 187th (but subway access is lacking there).

Old 01-02-2016, 06:56 AM

9,246 posts, read 24,066,953 times
Quote:

You will get better info from others…and me if you can give an intersection because as some have pointed out everyone has a different idea of boundaries everywhere in The Bronx. Half the population doesn't know what neighborhood they actually live in,brokers don't have a clue and neither do the media .

Fordham Heights is in fact an old,for a long time disused,official neighborhood bounded by Fordham Rd on the North, East Burnside Ave on the South,Webster Ave on the East and Jerome Ave on the West.The Grand Concourse runs right down the middle between Burnside and Fordham Rd.
Generally it is not considered a good neighborhood but as with most NYC neighborhoods there are some decent blocks and pockets.It's probably lower middle range or upper lower range by Bronx standards but not horrible.

It's quite possible the location in question is not even in the above zone however which is why an intersection would be helpful.This could be particularly true here because you did mention the D train Fordham Stop which would be at the very northern fringe of what is officially Fordham Heights. A few blocks one way or another puts it in a different,perhaps slightly better neighborhood.I know some people who live in a nice co op building just 2 blocks from Fordham D stop,on 190 st just West of Jerome near Monroe College. They love it there and I have no problem with the area.I think technically their building is in Kingsbridge. The whole area around Fordham Rd and West of the Concourse going towards Fordham Hill Oval is pretty benign if you ask me, unless you are in a gang,dealing drugs or in a violent domestic relationship. It is an extremely vibrant area with lots of life going on….and a wide range of stores,restaurants and transportation options.Lots of interesting architecture too.The friends live in a really nice,well maintained 30's Deco building and there are a lot of those kinds of buildings as well as earlier ( 20's) buildings around there.

Also, I would say that as far as official Fordham Heights is concerned, the Northern fringe,which is what you seem to be saying is definitely the better part of the neighborhood…..as opposed to down around Burnside and the low 180's.

Last edited by bluedog2; 01-02-2016 at 07:33 AM..

Old 01-02-2016, 07:42 AM

3,357 posts, read 4,629,510 times
I've walked many times on the south side of the reservoir and the area bordering there seems really cute. From there you can walk down a huge staircase and be on Broadway in 5-10 minutes. I really don't know what this area is called though. Bluedog is right - knowing the precise location would be important. I was thinking you're friends were looking closer to University Heights.

Old 01-02-2016, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yodel View Post
I've walked many times on the south side of the reservoir and the area bordering there seems really cute. From there you can walk down a huge staircase and be on Broadway in 5-10 minutes. I really don't know what this area is called though. Bluedog is right - knowing the precise location would be important. I was thinking you're friends were looking closer to University Heights.
Thanks both you guys !
I will try to find out an intersection.
They are most interested in the Bronx for various reasons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City