Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 07:43 PM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,736,355 times

Advertisements

says you.

have fun when your entire neighborhood changes around you and you're the only one left in it from 5 years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2009, 09:19 PM

1,556 posts, read 3,548,530 times
Middle class has been running to other states for years but as someone else mentioned what keeps driving the increase in population are those that believe the hype of what they see on television about NYC and running there trying to make it. This constant increase in the population only makes things more miserable for the people already living in NYC. Affordable housing in NYC is virtually non-existent unless of course you are unfortunate enough to be living in a public housing project dodging bullets everyday!

However what pulls people back to NYC after they relocate to other states is the diverse job opportunities that exist there. Believe me you move south, there are no diverse job opportunities.........you lose half of your salary (pay cut) but you gain in the affordable housing and better quality of life areas. Unfortunately NYC politicians only care about the wealthy New Yorkers that can afford the high priced Manhattan condos........they have alllowed all of the building of condos to be directed toward those that are wealthy and can afford them.........leaving the poor people and what's left of the working middle class in the cold. There is a major strain just to try and find affordable housing in a safe neighborhood in NYC.

How much longer are people in NYC going to tolerate living like a bunch of rats piled up in a shoe box? I used to think that my fellow New Yorkers were the most open minded people on earth........but now it seems that they are just like the people here in the south..........closed minded and act like NYC is the only place on this planet to live!

Old 07-07-2009, 11:24 PM

1 posts, read 1,773,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
says you.

have fun when your entire neighborhood changes around you and you're the only one left in it from 5 years ago.
Um, I've lived in the West Village and have known my neighbors for years.

Old 07-07-2009, 11:28 PM

1 posts, read 1,773,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkBorn View Post
How much longer are people in NYC going to tolerate living like a bunch of rats piled up in a shoe box?
I've always wondered how people tolerate living in uncouth cesspools like those desolate "affordable" cookie-cutter towns down south, but that's just me. We all have our opinions and I respect yours. You think New Yorkers live like rats in shoe boxes, I think people in South Carolina/Alabama/[insert southern state] live in uninhabitable, backwards, unsophisticated hicksville.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkBorn View Post
I used to think that my fellow New Yorkers were the most open minded people on earth........but now it seems that they are just like the people here in the south..........closed minded and act like NYC is the only place on this planet to live!
To me, NYC is one of the very few inhabitable places in this country.

Old 07-08-2009, 07:19 AM
eek

Mod cut: no comments on moderator acitons

If you live in an outer borough you would understand where ppl are coming from when they say your whole neighborhood will/has changed around you.

ppl in upper class areas are less likely to feel the effects of gentrification. the wealthy are fine. its the ppl in ny that are not wealthy that are struggling and have to think about moving and/or seeing their neighbors move around them.

i can't speak for the upper west side of manhattan but in queens you definitely see a change. like i said before, you really don't see a lot of the diversity that you used to see just 5, 10 years ago. everybody is gone. bodegas aren't bodegas. stores aren't owned or run by the same ppl. nothing in the stores are the same. its frustrating.

but i guess i'm wrong, right?
i guess someone from the upper west side could relate.

Last edited by Viralmd; 07-08-2009 at 07:25 AM.. Reason: TOS violation

Old 07-08-2009, 11:24 AM

1,556 posts, read 3,548,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by russianoligarch View Post
I've always wondered how people tolerate living in uncouth cesspools like those desolate "affordable" cookie-cutter towns down south, but that's just me. We all have our opinions and I respect yours. You think New Yorkers live like rats in shoe boxes, I think people in South Carolina/Alabama/[insert southern state] live in uninhabitable, backwards, unsophisticated hicksville.

To me, NYC is one of the very few inhabitable places in this country.
Yes the south can be hicksville........I agree with you there.........but did not move south to concern myself with other people, I live in my house and they live in their house. As far as the south being desolate......you are wrong there, the south has changed in many areas. In fact Good Morning America did a story last month about Greenville South Carolina and it's beauty. There are a lot of New Yorkers running down here which is what is causing the change in the south........there are $800k condos downtown Greenville. Shocked me when I first saw them.

I don't just think people in NYC live like rats piled up in shoe boxes..........I was born and raised in NYC (Brooklyn) all my life so I was one of those people living like a rat in a shoe box!! My family and friends are still there complaining living like rats in a shoe box!

By the way here are some pictures of downtown Greenville, SC.

As far as "affordable cookie cutter towns down south".....guess I will have to enjoy cookiecutterville in my spacious (3000 square foot) home that sits on the golf course and has a pool to go with it.......all for under $200K! New York City is not the only city people can live in.........you are entitled to your opinion but be open minded and get on a plane.........head to Greenville, SC you may not want to go home after visiting!

Pictures of my cookie cutter house!

NYC is done.........if you are not lucky enough to have millions in the bank forget having good quality of life in NYC.

Last edited by NewYorkBorn; 07-08-2009 at 11:39 AM..

Old 07-08-2009, 11:49 AM
eek

those pics are beautiful but how are the wages in greenville?

you get what you pay for. sure, you get a great house, inside and out...but it comes with other things attached to it that a lot of ppl don't want. low wages, lack of job opportunities, lack of things to do (in comparison to ny...which there is no comparison anyway but you know what i mean), etc.

i'd rather live in ny than any part of sc.

Old 07-08-2009, 11:50 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,944,603 times
New York, because it is the center of so many businesses (virtual and real) will always attract new inhabitants.

And, NewYorkBorn, you ARE proselytizing. We get it. Thanks.

Old 07-08-2009, 12:39 PM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,860,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
those pics are beautiful but how are the wages in greenville?

you get what you pay for. sure, you get a great house, inside and out...but it comes with other things attached to it that a lot of ppl don't want. low wages, lack of job opportunities, lack of things to do (in comparison to ny...which there is no comparison anyway but you know what i mean), etc.

i'd rather live in ny than any part of sc.
You've got that right. I'm quite familiar with Greenville, my paternal grandmother is from there, and every few years they have a reunion there. It is a beautiful small city, but there are those things that you have named that goes with it. Plus I'm sure that those Greenville and other SC natives living in Greenville, would just love that he/she is posting for the Yankees to move down there.

I must add that my family members that were born there, now mostly live in other parts of the US like here in NYC, DC metro, Atlanta, Houston and San Antonio.

If you have some money, and you don't have to deal with the job issues, they do have some of the best public school districts in the country. Great educational and extra curricular activities for all students, poor, middle class or wealthy.

It is also good for entepreneurs because you don't have to pay out high wages, and there are other things that are on the side of the business owner. The weather is also great most of the year, with winters being very mild. Needless to say also an excellent place to retire.

It is not a hicktown, it is one of the technology capitals of the south.

Even with all of that, and after reuniting with those I love, I still love NY and can't wait to get back home after spending some time there.

Old 07-08-2009, 02:21 PM

346 posts, read 1,257,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
New York, because it is the center of so many businesses (virtual and real) will always attract new inhabitants.

And, NewYorkBorn, you ARE proselytizing. We get it. Thanks.
Which ones? If that were still true then we wouldn't have an island filled with empty offices would we? The fact is that now the world is flat. Businesses are free to move with the wind if they feel the need to do so. NYC and the state are TOXIC places for businesses, due to the high cost of rent for office space/retail and the taxes, which undoubtedly will rise dramatically in Bloomberg's next term.. And the city's so call ability to attract people remains to be that of immigrants, not the businessmen that we are lead to believe are clamoring to move in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City