Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 05:13 PM

445 posts, read 1,449,375 times

Advertisements

I haven't had problems getting yellow cabs to go to Brooklyn in many years. It probably helps that we live near downtown Brooklyn so it's not that far of a ride over the Brooklyn Bridge. Generally, when I take cabs, it's late at night as opposed to rush hour and I haven't had an issue with a cab driver not wanting to go to Brooklyn for probably 15-20 years. When we first moved to Brooklyn, in 1986, it was definitely a problem getting a cab, but things started to change probably in the mid-90's. Or maybe it was just that we moved from Park Slope to Boerum Hill, which is closer to Manhattan. I do, however, always get in the cab before stating my destination.

The only time I have had a problem in recent years (and even this is a good 7-8 years ago) was catching a cab back to downtown Brooklyn from 6th Avenue in the 20's in mid-afternoon. I was with a co-worker who lives in Jersey and doesn't like the subway. Anyway, we jumped in the cab and when I said we were going to downtown Brooklyn, the cabbie tried to refuse. I said, very forcefully, "No! You HAVE to take us!" He backed down and spent the rest of the drive apologizing. My co-worker was very impressed with my awesome show of force.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2010, 05:17 PM

3,400 posts, read 8,034,051 times
Im just curious...but why is it illegal for a cab driver to refuse a fare? If they're the one driving, seems to me it would be up to them where they would/wouldnt drive?

Old 01-31-2010, 06:09 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,950,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colddiamond102 View Post
Im just curious...but why is it illegal for a cab driver to refuse a fare? If they're the one driving, seems to me it would be up to them where they would/wouldnt drive?
Because it's the law. If the destination is within NYC, they may not refuse.

Old 01-31-2010, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
Because it's the law. If the destination is within NYC, they may not refuse.
I understand that much..guess I should have asked WHY it is a law.

Old 01-31-2010, 09:24 PM

3,546 posts, read 8,567,041 times
Quote:
I understand that much..guess I should have asked WHY it is a law.
There are laws like this in place in cities throughout the country. It is so cab drivers do not discriminate in terms of which fares they pick up and where they go. Basically, it's to prevent them from serving only the wealthiest neighborhoods.

Old 01-31-2010, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14thandYou View Post
There are laws like this in place in cities throughout the country. It is so cab drivers do not discriminate in terms of which fares they pick up and where they go. Basically, it's to prevent them from serving only the wealthiest neighborhoods.
Ah. Thank you for the explanation. I live in a small city where there's only 1 small cab service, so I never thought about that.

Nice to learn something new.

Old 01-31-2010, 11:48 PM

11,642 posts, read 12,717,447 times
Quote:

Before this law was enacted, cabbies would refuse to take riders to some of the high crime neighborhoods. In addition, cabbies could make up some excuse in order to avoid giving a ride to a minority rider.

Old 02-01-2010, 10:14 AM

6,963 posts, read 20,546,066 times
i've had many a cabbie refuse to take me to jersey. but, i can't blame them. a lot of them don't know where they are going or how to get back. and the toll is a big turnoff, even if its part of the fare.

Old 02-01-2010, 11:30 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,950,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post
i've had many a cabbie refuse to take me to jersey. but, i can't blame them. a lot of them don't know where they are going or how to get back. and the toll is a big turnoff, even if its part of the fare.
They're NOT required to take anyone to NJ. Just to the airport.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City