Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2007, 01:14 AM

53 posts, read 348,943 times

Advertisements

Astoria, Queens - Queens doesn't have any unique characteristic that Brooklyn displays (brownstones), but Astoria is great for it's proximity to Manhattan.
Williamsburg, Brooklyn - Very hip. The Wall Street crowd hasn't arrived yet, but it's not a secret either. Plenty of buildings are being renovated for lofts and condos.
Riverdale, Bronx - A lot of people still believe affordable housing exists in Riverdale, but I've lived there for a few years and it's actually gotten very pricey (maybe in terms of Manhattan prices). Think of it as a closer option to Westchester.
Upper, Upper West Side (116th street and higher), Manhattan - This was my own prediction. Manhattan will slowly expand further to the top end of the island over the years, and the UWS will lead the way.

Who cares about Staten Island?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2007, 01:39 AM

1,529 posts, read 2,800,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryTypingGuy View Post
Astoria, Queens - Queens doesn't have any unique characteristic that Brooklyn displays (brownstones), but Astoria is great for it's proximity to Manhattan.
Williamsburg, Brooklyn - Very hip. The Wall Street crowd hasn't arrived yet, but it's not a secret either. Plenty of buildings are being renovated for lofts and condos.
Riverdale, Bronx - A lot of people still believe affordable housing exists in Riverdale, but I've lived there for a few years and it's actually gotten very pricey (maybe in terms of Manhattan prices). Think of it as a closer option to Westchester.
Upper, Upper West Side (116th street and higher), Manhattan - This was my own prediction. Manhattan will slowly expand further to the top end of the island over the years, and the UWS will lead the way.

Who cares about Staten Island?
Astoria is nice but hopefully it doesn't become a Greenpoint or Park Slope.

Riverdale is nice but far.

Williamsburg is too gritty for most.

Upper West Side changed a lot since the 70's. Still far from perfect though. Shady blocks and corners even west of the Park. Once you pass Columbia in to Harlem it gets shady real fast. Although not as bad as Central and East it's got it's problems. I have a feeling the Dominicans are going to take western uptown Manhattan as far as Columbia, they almost pretty much have it now.

And why do you say who cares about Staten Island, that borough has the highest quality of life in all of NYC.

As for your prediction about yuppies taking over the uptown part of the island of Manhattan. Have anything to back that up. Last time I checked middle class and White were on the way out, West Indian and poor were on the way in. At least for uptown. East side is being over ran with Mexicans while the Dominicans are expanding south from Washington Heights.

Old 05-31-2007, 07:13 AM

319 posts, read 1,250,752 times
these are affordable??? where have you been? williamsburg is off the scales lately in the rent department. astoria is getting up there too, at least compared to when i lived there 6 yrs ago.

Old 05-31-2007, 10:28 AM

359 posts, read 2,593,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustla718 View Post
Astoria is nice but hopefully it doesn't become a Greenpoint or Park Slope.

Riverdale is nice but far.

Williamsburg is too gritty for most.

Upper West Side changed a lot since the 70's. Still far from perfect though. Shady blocks and corners even west of the Park. Once you pass Columbia in to Harlem it gets shady real fast. Although not as bad as Central and East it's got it's problems. I have a feeling the Dominicans are going to take western uptown Manhattan as far as Columbia, they almost pretty much have it now.

And why do you say who cares about Staten Island, that borough has the highest quality of life in all of NYC.

As for your prediction about yuppies taking over the uptown part of the island of Manhattan. Have anything to back that up. Last time I checked middle class and White were on the way out, West Indian and poor were on the way in. At least for uptown. East side is being over ran with Mexicans while the Dominicans are expanding south from Washington Heights.
Do you seriously think the Dominicans are going to expand into the Upper East Side. There is no way. You seem to always have a very doubtful future for New York City. And while I would love all the yuppies to leave it probably wont happen. Harlem and Wash heights are not going to worse. Maybe around the pj's but thats it. The neighborhood is not going to expand.

Old 05-31-2007, 10:41 AM

guess there's a reason the word "affordable" is in quotes...

williamsburg is one huge, ever growing exaggeration. guess i'm one of the few people who finds these overpriced shiny new condos with their views of beautiful mccarren park obnoxious. soon there will be nothing left of the old neighborhood. the skyline changes so much every month. the cute little egg cream place by mccarren park is now some dumb hipster brunch establishment. because yeah, you don't have enough of those. love that the old signs are still up because they're "vintage".

for the most part the train they're closest to is the G (so reliable) or shlep to the overcrowded L and hope you can fit on the 3rd or 4th train that comes during rush hour... conceivably, you can get to union sq in 10 mins. that's if you can fit on the train... sigh. it's so overrated. i especially love the new buildings on mcguinness. nice views there too.

does anyone else despise this place like i do? or rather what it's become? it's a huge joke. i miss the old bakeries on graham that are now things like dunkin donuts and crap like that. ok, i'll stop.

but affordable? nope. overrated and overpriced.

Old 05-31-2007, 12:17 PM

1,529 posts, read 2,800,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyJerzyKidUNO View Post
Do you seriously think the Dominicans are going to expand into the Upper East Side. There is no way. You seem to always have a very doubtful future for New York City. And while I would love all the yuppies to leave it probably wont happen. Harlem and Wash heights are not going to worse. Maybe around the pj's but thats it. The neighborhood is not going to expand.
From what I have seen over the years, the Dominicans have been creeping down Broadway. These days you find a lot as far down as Grant PJ's. Back in the late 80's the lowest you found them was just south of 155th on the west side.

As for Harlem, the East side is non stop housing projects. Central Harlem also has a lot of PJ's. The west side is the only area with scattered projects and it's going Dominican from what I have seen. Lot of Africans and Jamaicans in Central and Mexicans moving in heavy with the Puerto Ricans on the East side.

The reason I say these lower income areas are going to expand is the low income population of NYC is growing. The middle class continues to leave. So does the White population which makes up the bulk of the middle class. Only the wealthy and the poor are growing in NYC. The wealthy don't want to live in Harlem with the Blacks and Latins. They want highrises on the Upper East Side.

Yuppification would have to accomplish a lot to take over the island of Manhattan. There are still plenty of shady blocks along with all the pjs in the LES. The LES was lucky to be gentrified since all the PJs are together on one side of the neighborhood. The real LES is Ave D to the East River. The Upper West Side still has shady pockets and a housing project that causes problems. Even Times Square when you get off the main strip. Area isn't the greatest late at night on weekends either. A lot would have to change if Harlem is ever to become yuppy. At the current demographic trends it's not gonna happen. Too much public housing and too many poor.

Old 05-31-2007, 12:22 PM

Quote:
From what I have seen over the years, the Dominicans have been creeping down Broadway. These days you find a lot as far down as Grant PJ's. Back in the late 80's the lowest you found them was just south of 155th on the west side.

As for Harlem, the East side is non stop housing projects. Central Harlem also has a lot of PJ's. The west side is the only area with scattered projects and it's going Dominican from what I have seen. Lot of Africans and Jamaicans in Central and Mexicans moving in heavy with the Puerto Ricans on the East side.

The reason I say these lower income areas are going to expand is the low income population of NYC is growing. The middle class continues to leave. So does the White population which makes up the bulk of the middle class. Only the wealthy and the poor are growing in NYC. The wealthy don't want to live in Harlem with the Blacks and Latins. They want highrises on the Upper East Side.
you know if you've lived here long enough, you know it's true - even if you are offended or whatever, he's right.

Old 05-31-2007, 12:39 PM

435 posts, read 1,521,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyJerzyKidUNO View Post
Boy, you and Hustla are made for each other. Between Hustla's warnings about the comeback of the 70's and you wishing all the rich and or white people would leave, I'm sure NYC is proud to have you.

To all those yuppie-haters, have fun when the next homicide-inducing epidemic hits (Almost every other city in the nation is seeing the body count skyrocket), I'm sure your love for an all-poor city will show through when your fake asses pack bags for LI or Jersey. If you all hate yuppies so much, why not move to Detroit, I'm sure you'll love it there.....

Old 05-31-2007, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by briarwood View Post
Boy, you and Hustla are made for each other. Between Hustla's warnings about the comeback of the 70's and you wishing all the rich and or white people would leave, I'm sure NYC is proud to have you.

To all those yuppie-haters, have fun when the next homicide-inducing epidemic hits (Almost every other city in the nation is seeing the body count skyrocket), I'm sure your love for an all-poor city will show through when your fake asses pack bags for LI or Jersey. If you all hate yuppies so much, why not move to Detroit, I'm sure you'll love it there.....
I think we have had this conversation before. Never do I mention race. Never do I say I dont like rich people. Im not even going to get into more than that.

Old 05-31-2007, 02:35 PM

Quote:

Yuppification would have to accomplish a lot to take over the island of Manhattan. There are still plenty of shady blocks along with all the pjs in the LES. The LES was lucky to be gentrified since all the PJs are together on one side of the neighborhood. The real LES is Ave D to the East River. The Upper West Side still has shady pockets and a housing project that causes problems. Even Times Square when you get off the main strip. Area isn't the greatest late at night on weekends either. A lot would have to change if Harlem is ever to become yuppy. At the current demographic trends it's not gonna happen. Too much public housing and too many poor.

I do agree about The LES and the projects. But Harlem is really becoming better. But the LES today is a good example of what Manhattan should look like. There are actually still Jews in the LES(not so much though anymore). And alot of Hispanics and other immigrants. There are also yuppies. Its a great mixture. My favorite neighborhood in Manhattan. Its really only East Harlem that I could see having a problem because of its projects. There are so many there that it really cant be helped. I just dont think that Harlem and Wash heights are going to be moving southward anytime soon. There is to much old money in the UWS and UES. Hopefully the rest of manhattan will look sort of what everything 14th street and lower looks like in the near future. Then I will have no problem saying that Manhattan is the greatest place on earth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City