Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 08:05 PM

518 posts, read 2,013,918 times

Advertisements

When did you come visit here last? Were there specific things that you were unsure about when visiting? We actually have fared better than many places throughout the country economically IMO. I just came back tonight from Cincinnati and saw lots of empty strip malls, restaurants and car dealerships. In my hometown farther south, there is the same. Our area seems to be helped considerably by being so close to Vermont and to Montreal.....

The first thing I would do is check out all the most recent newspapers online......PressRepublican.com There was just an article on the day you typed this about SUNY Plattsburgh winning a top spot in a national college rating system, but I was packing and didn't read it all............Believe it was Friday's paper. I would pick Plattsburgh hands down no question over anyplace in the Dakotas, but that's just me. I do not think there will be as much cultural exchange or opportunity for travel, or just sheer beauty of your surroundings as here near the lake, coast, mountains, lakes, New England towns and cities.......countless opportunities to explore IMO. Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2009, 07:08 PM

1,020 posts, read 1,377,700 times
I live in western NY but just spent a few days in Plattsburgh for my youngster's freshman orientation at SUNY Plattsburgh. I could not have been more impressed with how nice the people in the area were and with the college itself. The scenery wasn't bad either. We did the ferry ride to Vermont & it was beautiful there as well. By the way, I am originally from the south too & love this part of the country!

Old 07-25-2009, 09:52 PM

18 posts, read 108,769 times
Default Plattsburgh Update Good & Bad

Plattsburgh State seems to be doing well, enrollment is up I believe, and a new student housing complex was built by a developer that specializes in such developments. I believe they also have housing complexes in Rochester and Buffalo NY. Although more expensive for students than the traditional college housing that Plattsburgh offers, in what is called the "student ghetto", they are absolutely beautiful rooms that house between 1 and 4 students each. There is on-site security, workout room, media/movie room (for shared get togethers), laundry and free wireless internet. This is a welcomed addition because for many many decades Plattsburgh has been plagued the "student ghetto", which for history's sake, a former area of beautiful victorian homes that have been purchased over the years by "absentee landlords", i.e. wealthy Long Island NY people looking for an "investment". These homes have been literally torn up into student housing that often crams 20 to 30 students or more per house, NO supervision, the neigborhood has been destroyed, and the few home owner residents that are left there are tormented with nightly rowdiness, keg parties, vandalism etc. The new housing development might just put the student "slumlords" out of business.
If your interested in checking it out you could visit My College Suites - Suite Experience, Suite Lifestyle, Suite Apartments!
Also, we have had a recent crime wave here in Plattsburgh, and ALL the surrounding towns. It has hit Vermont as well. Recently a MAJOR drug ring was dismantled by multiple state and even Federal authorities. This ring extended as far North into Canada as Nova Scotia, including the U.S. States of Maine, Vermont, NY, Mass., Rhode Island, Ohio, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, CT, Delaware, Ohio and I may have left some out. It also had ties to Europe and the Russian mob. Because of this dismantling, I assume street prices for various narcotis have risen sharply. Plattsburgh itself has had a burgulary EVERY day so far for the month of July. Just as early as last year, this would be a ONCE or TWICE a year event in the news. Surrounding towns very CLOSE to Plattsburgh, close enough to even be called "greater Plattsburgh" have had DAYTIME burgularies. The media has not given the FULL extent of just how bad these burgularies have been. There HAS been a few e-mails floating around by VICTIMS that describe not just a burgulary, but a complete destruction of their home. Safes and fire "lock boxes" ripped open (must be professionals and/or carrying good tools!!), walls smashed in, carpets ripped up, one lady described her 2nd car as stolen as well as her dogs and cats set free scurrying down the road. Another Daytime "home invasion" just this past week, 2 min. from Plattsburgh state, resulted in a black man entering a home on Steltzer Ave. with a gun, and duct taping the victims while he ransacked the house. This past Sunday, Zukes Grocery and Deli one block from Plattsburgh State was robbed at gun point. I can't emphasize enough how unusual this is. There is more but I wont go on. This is a crime wave like we've never seen and the City Chief of Police admitted it's all drug related. I am assuming that street prices are higher due to the above mentioned "drug ring" being dismantled, and now the junkies have to pay a higher price and are doing anything they can to get more money to buy more drugs. If your interested in reading for yourself I would suggest The Press Republican - Homepage you can click on "archives" and use the search box.
Even though we have a Mayor who is doing everything he can to hold down the tax rate, there have been many indications that the City of Plattsburgh could face another 34-37% tax increase. The City itself is in a dire financial situation.
As one other poster told you, we may well have fared better than some areas. We have not seen a lot of business closing, but HAVE actually seen businesses opening. The Town of Plattsburgh has had a few major employers come in, Nova Bus from Canada, which is somehow related to Volvo, and one new company which will be manufacturing supplies and accessories for Nova.
I also imagine our crime increase, though NOT related to the economic downturn, may not be as serious as crime increases in other areas which ARE related to the economic downturn.
My only advice would be to keep constant tabs on the local media here which you are probably doing already. Hope you find a job that makes you happy. It may be worth the move if you get the right job and find a good home at a reasonable price. Best of luck!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York