Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2015, 09:06 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,801,761 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Perhaps I missed a post but in the 20+ pages of this discussion has anyone stated that a southern city is a "global city like NYC"?
It just never stops.They go on and on and then act like they are reasonable and logical in their comments.
Its a totally irrelevant comment because the fact is MYC is NYC.If someone wants to be in NYC thats where they will be.Not 2 hours away paying high taxes in the same state.

NYC being one of a kind,still does not offer nothing that most major cities anywhere cannot provide,.

The money you save can buy you an airline ticket and a hotel room in Manhattan if you miss the art,music and other cultural institutions that a "global city" can provide

Old 04-09-2015, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
I think many people here get their Southern knowledge from watching My Cousin Vinny.
One of my favorite movies!

"What is a "yute"?"

Old 04-09-2015, 09:45 PM

1,388 posts, read 1,946,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
It just never stops.They go on and on and then act like they are reasonable and logical in their comments.
Its a totally irrelevant comment because the fact is MYC is NYC.If someone wants to be in NYC thats where they will be.Not 2 hours away paying high taxes in the same state.

NYC being one of a kind,still does not offer nothing that most major cities anywhere cannot provide,.

The money you save can buy you an airline ticket and a hotel room in Manhattan if you miss the art,music and other cultural institutions that a "global city" can provide
I've never understood it, quite frankly. To those from NYC now, we're all supposed to be envious we don't live there, apparently. When I lived only one hour away in the Hudson Valley of NEW YORK, younger people in NYC regarded that as living in Iowa or Missouri as far as they were concerned; many had not a clue as to where I lived when explained to them. When I would say I lived not far from West Point, they'd look at me with a glazed look and fake smile, but were thinking... West Point?... Uh, What's that?

Old 04-09-2015, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinkeyM View Post
I've never understood it, quite frankly. To those from NYC now, we're all supposed to be envious we don't live there, apparently. When I lived only one hour away in the Hudson Valley of NEW YORK, younger people in NYC regarded that as living in Iowa or Missouri as far as they were concerned; many had not a clue as to where I lived when explained to them. When I would say I lived not far from West Point, they'd look at me with a glazed look and fake smile, but were thinking... West Point?... Uh, What's that?
Wow,,,lol.Its the same here.Im from middle GA but have lived in Atlanta since I was a senior in high school.Anywhere out if the metro people think you might get hanged if you are black or raped ala "Deliverance" otherwise.They might know of Savannah but thats it,

Upstate NY is just beautiful.I drove from Georgia to Montreal after I spent a week in NYC.I can see why people live in ther parts of NY but if the cost is still high as some of the people I have met say,then I also get why they move,
Beautiful scenery is everywhere in this country and many places are much cheaper.

Old 04-09-2015, 10:28 PM

1,388 posts, read 1,946,329 times
Quote:
Beautiful scenery is everywhere in this country and many places are much cheaper.
And beautiful people are everywhere if one is willing to accept them.

Old 04-09-2015, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinkeyM View Post
And beautiful people are everywhere if one is willing to accept them.

Old 04-09-2015, 11:47 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,980,472 times
Quote:

I speak more of NYC because I live here, but there are people living TWO HOURS from NYC who like it for whatever reason.

Yes there are some people who like upstate NY as well. I certainly did when I was there. I'm not there now because I'm more of an URBAN person and NYC is my home.

Old 04-09-2015, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Not one person on here said or even implied that the South was paradise. All I've heard was a few people who said that they're economically doing better themselves in the South, or maybe enjoy the weather and the people more. That's it. Why can't that just be so?
Afonega and a few others have more or less declared the South paradise.

Now if you just like warmer weather and you move to a warmer climate, more power to you. Just understand that isn't for everyone (I personally don't like all the bugs in the South but that is my personal preference and I do realize some people like that).

Old 04-09-2015, 11:53 PM

Quote:
I beg to differ. NY has 3 species of venomous snakes, and as a avid hiker in the Catskills, I can attest to their being plenty of timber rattlesnakes there (and bear too). There are equal numbers of alligators in Rochester as there are in the following metros: Raleigh, Charlotte, Nashville, Atlanta, Austin, Dallas, Richmond, Asheville, Greenville, Memphis, Knoxville, VA Beach, Chattanooga, Baltimore, Wash D.C., Louisville and Roanoke. That is exactly 0.

By far the most dangerous insect / animal in NY is the tick, of which there are plenty. And NY ticks carry Lymes, which I'm way, way more afraid of than a spider bite. NY reported 3,512 cases of Lymes in 2013, NC reported 39. As for now, Lymes isn't really a concern south of VA.
Florida has even more species of venemous snakes. Cottonmouthes, timber rattlesnakes, pgymy rattlesnakes, coral snakes, diamondback rattlesnakes, and copperheads. Those same snakes are in Louisiana, Georgia, Alabama, etc.

That's at least three additional venemous snakes that are not in NY.

Alligators are not anywhere in the North, rural or urban because it's too cold. They are a warm weather animal.

So again this is what I mean about people from the South here trying to claim the South is utopia for everyone.

I know the South has more creepy crawling things than the North and I don't like it for that. If you don't mind all those creepy crawly things, WONDERFUL. ENJOY the South. But it isn't for everyone.

Old 04-09-2015, 11:56 PM

Quote:
That's a bull**** article that doesn't post the number of jobs that were gained in these states, and the article doesn't even cite or provide links to it's sources. Try harder.

Jobs is also a big vague. Florida's job gains could be more nursing aides to work in nursing homes or immigrants picking oranges off the citrus farms. The article doesn't say. No context.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York