Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2007, 07:54 PM

44 posts, read 329,663 times

Advertisements

I have lived the Raleigh area for 2 years. I was forewarned by 3 former native southerners (why they do not live here) to "watch out" for the following and it is very true.
One...people in the south love to gossip.
Two...people in the south will be extremely friendly upon meeting you but that's as far as many friendships will go (lot's of backstabbers!)
Three...people in the south (sadly) have not gotten over losing the civil war. Four...Whites, Jesus and Republicans are the majority ("You must be from the north" is all I ever hear).
I have lived in all parts of this country and have to admit I love good manners which southerners posess with finesse' thank you very much but......I will return to New England for a better quality of life. There is good and bad to every area in the country. To each his own.

Old 01-01-2007, 08:36 PM

491 posts, read 828,592 times
I'm born in Brooklyn and could never live in the south, every place I went I got attitude. Was in Charlotte and Columbia SC 2 weeks. They knew I'm from New York, all the saying prayers before eating "you must be a Catholic" etc.
It was nuts.
.....the fresh Grits and corndogs were good.

-Joe

Old 01-01-2007, 09:13 PM

944 posts, read 3,847,341 times
I live in St. Petersburg area in Florida (originally from NY):

I was haggling with a salesman today over pricing of furniture. After agreeing on a price that salesman took my name. When I stopped spelling out my last name he said, "are your sure you're done? There isn't a 'Stein' on the end?"

If you need me to explain this you most likely won't be offended. I couldn't believe what he was implying. You really have to spend some time in the South before making the leap. And I live in Florida, which really isn't the south South.

Old 01-02-2007, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muggy View Post
I live in St. Petersburg area in Florida (originally from NY):

I was haggling with a salesman today over pricing of furniture. After agreeing on a price that salesman took my name. When I stopped spelling out my last name he said, "are your sure you're done? There isn't a 'Stein' on the end?"

If you need me to explain this you most likely won't be offended. I couldn't believe what he was implying. You really have to spend some time in the South before making the leap. And I live in Florida, which really isn't the south South.
My NY black neighbors who own their home are constantly being mistaken for the "help". Racism is alive everywhere but in the south it is very prominent. People around here are very concerned with their "reputation". I am white and love my neighbor who is the BEST neighbor I have ever had and we converse on each others porches which horrify the other neighbors.

Old 01-02-2007, 06:56 AM

368 posts, read 830,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarrant View Post
I have lived the Raleigh area for 2 years. I was forewarned by 3 former native southerners (why they do not live here) to "watch out" for the following and it is very true.
One...people in the south love to gossip.
Two...people in the south will be extremely friendly upon meeting you but that's as far as many friendships will go (lot's of backstabbers!)
Three...people in the south (sadly) have not gotten over losing the civil war. Four...Whites, Jesus and Republicans are the majority ("You must be from the north" is all I ever hear).
I have lived in all parts of this country and have to admit I love good manners which southerners posess with finesse' thank you very much but......I will return to New England for a better quality of life. There is good and bad to every area in the country. To each his own.
This is a perfect example of why alot of southerners do not like NY folk transplanting to their area. The funny thing is each example you give I can show you NYers that are the same way and No Kidding pickup trucks in my area with the stars and bars on the windows so please your broad stroke can be anyone.

Old 01-02-2007, 07:02 AM

1,611 posts, read 4,847,220 times
Quote:
... I am white and love my neighbor who is the BEST neighbor I have ever had and we converse on each others porches which horrify the other neighbors.
B/cyour neighbor is black or b/c you are outside on the porch?
Don't mean to be flippant, I am living in a townhouse & so truly want to know the issue here.
Must note that the new subdivisions I have seen seem to be QUITE diverse... I do not think they reflect southern culture though. What kind of neighborhood are you in?

Old 01-02-2007, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TughillTina View Post
This is a perfect example of why alot of southerners do not like NY folk transplanting to their area. The funny thing is each example you give I can show you NYers that are the same way and No Kidding pickup trucks in my area with the stars and bars on the windows so please your broad stroke can be anyone.
Yes, ugly people are everywhere.

Old 01-02-2007, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe L View Post
I'm born in Brooklyn and could never live in the south, every place I went I got attitude. Was in Charlotte and Columbia SC 2 weeks. They knew I'm from New York, all the saying prayers before eating "you must be a Catholic" etc.
It was nuts.
.....the fresh Grits and corndogs were good.

-Joe
I have met some VERY nice people here as well as not nice too. One can sterotype any place and until one lives there can you judge for yourself. Charlotte is massive amounts of people...scary. Raleigh is a bit more small town. Cary is nuts!!! Nothing but strip malls and soccer moms. The south is "different". I have been labeled a Yankee when actually I am from California originally. If you think differently than people here you are out casted....at least that is MY experience. Not much room for diversity.

Old 01-02-2007, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer View Post
B/cyour neighbor is black or b/c you are outside on the porch?
Don't mean to be flippant, I am living in a townhouse & so truly want to know the issue here.
Must note that the new subdivisions I have seen seem to be QUITE diverse... I do not think they reflect southern culture though. What kind of neighborhood are you in?
My neighbor has received a lot of racism for owning a home in a historic district. I have seen it firsthand many times. Shocks me. Yes, it happens everywhere too. Seems more prevalant down here.

Old 01-02-2007, 10:14 AM

1,611 posts, read 4,847,220 times
Quote:
My neighbor has received a lot of racism for owning a home in a historic district. I have seen it firsthand many times. Shocks me. Yes, it happens everywhere too. Seems more prevalant down here.
Hmmm... is it b/c it was a historically white area & maybe your neighbor's ownership of it is just so contrary to what the original owners would have foreseen & the current neighbors want?

A big part of why we wanted a new area was so we would be with a big mix of people and would not have to confront that sort of stuff in our neighborhoods.
Out & about town is one thing but experience has taught me that your neighbors become your friends so we did not want to chance being rejected right off the bat for who we are Not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York