Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2007, 11:40 PM

4 posts, read 27,548 times

Advertisements

My kids had a great education in NC schools I has six of them 5 went to college and one became a police officer. I grew up in NY and did not go to NC until my kids were born. We couldn't afford NY in order to give the kids a good life. It all depends on what part you live in. We lived in a town called Lillington- near Buies Creek. Only 25 minutes to Raleigh and 20 minutes to Fayettevelle. We really loved it. We had an itch to come back to NY now that the kids are grown-we gave up our cheap cheap townhouse for a dump here in NY(we rent). We want to move back and probably will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeman View Post
The biggest reason is the schools in NC.
Academically, they are way behind the northeast. Schools are way overcrowded, each county generally only has two or three high schools. The high school my kids would have to go to is 20 miles away. Schools have set up trailers outside for classrooms. Some schools are going to year round schools or bussing kids all over to make room. Yes property taxes are cheaper but I think it all evens out. If you want to live in a descent area, you have to live in a subdivision and will usually pay a hefty landowners fee. You have to pay a property tax on your vehicles every year, groceries cost more, salaries are less. Every day there are more and more people coming here, and the politicians and elected officials seem to have no idea how to deal with it. Another thing that is hard to explain, I guess I would just say there isn't as good a quality of life down here. Do you know what I mean? The people are way laid back and just don't seem to care about resolving everyday issues. If you are a northerner, you are welcomed in with open arms, as long as you don't say anything bad about NC, and don't try to change anything. Otherwise they'll tell you to go back where you came from. Which is exactly what I'm doing, and the sooner the better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2007, 09:01 PM

106 posts, read 512,945 times
Cool ooooh baby it's cold outside!!!!

wow we have a cold spell working in upstate ny---winter storm warnings and fridgid cold---- minus 15 yikes!!!--- ready to move south now-- how many transplants love the winter weather in WNY????

Old 02-06-2007, 01:24 AM

22 posts, read 114,419 times
Default Mooresville has Ny Pizza?

ChevyGirl6216 -
Is it Mooresville you are moving to? Is that where Brooklyn Boys Pizza is? We are moving to Granite Falls and are in need of finding a good pizza place like home - we are moving from CT to NC within the next month.

Your home in Grandy sounds great. A lift in the garage - nice! Are you guys into Nascar, I presume?
IslandGirl

Old 02-06-2007, 07:48 AM
CJF

30 posts, read 176,225 times
I have been living in NC since shortly after 9/11/2001 when USAirways closed their reservations center in Syracuse down. I live just west of Winston-Salem now.

Old 02-06-2007, 11:42 AM

89 posts, read 122,157 times
Im actually doing it different Im thinking about moving to western NY to get away from all the northeners moving south..it sounds strange but once you move down here yall will see. We get a lot of bad Northeners that are running away from the cold to come south but really dont care about southern culture and always remind us how everythings better up there.

Old 02-06-2007, 04:44 PM

106 posts, read 512,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bethanytedder View Post
I just have one thing to say after reading this post, I was born in North Carolina, I have lived my entire 54 years of life here, almost all of it in the same rural county I came from in the east. North Carolina is not for everyone and neither is New York. I have no desire to move to New York or anywhere else for that matter. If you have moved to North Carolina and dislike it, the best I can say is I hope that when you get back "home" you will be happier than you are now. The hardest thing anyone can do is try to live up to the expections of others. I am sorry we disappointed you. But don't just put the blame on North Carolina. Had it ever occured to the unhappy movers that they just were happy where they were and should have stayed there instead of making themselves miserable by trying to find or make something into to something that didn't exist where they were trying to make it exist? North Carolina is what it is from the coast to the mountains and everywhere in between. That is why I don't leave because there is no need of making someone else miserable with my preconceived ideas of another place, that is assuming I had any, as well as making myself miserable too. Not to mention the expense of moving back and forth. Good luck to those coming to North Carolina and good luck as well to those that are moving back to their home state.
AMEN BETHANYTEDDER!!!!!! we are going to relocate to nc soon however our family is all coming with us so it's all what you make of it..

Old 02-08-2007, 04:26 PM

15 posts, read 50,070 times
Hi, we just moved from Nassau Cty to NC in Oct. but we are in the Raleigh area, like it a lot. Good luck

Old 02-09-2007, 07:10 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,385,300 times
MJ, I never answered u im sorry Union County is beautiful, reminded me alot of where I live in NJ....the schools are excellent from all my research that ive done since last july....depending on where u are..my son is in middle school and my daughter in Elem school, my daughter will be going to a brand new elem rea View elem and my son will be going to the new middle school Marvin Ridge Middle and the brand new hs is Marvin Ridge HS....Sandy ridge Elem is very good everyone is happy with that school..Weddington Middle is supposed to be also really good...go to greatschools.net to see for yourself u can go into each school...we are looking in Hunter Oaks, Somerset and The Reserve...We decided Not to do new construction as we have done it a few times and will never do it again....Also you can look into Wesley Chapel which will be getting a brand new school as well which alot of these new schools will alliviate the over crowdedness that they have now...pls PM me if you have any further questions good luck to you

Old 02-10-2007, 05:54 AM

15 posts, read 50,070 times
I beg to differ on the Brooklyn Boys pizza, it's a joke, the guys not even from Brooklyn, he couldn't even name a street in Brooklyn. My husband's from Brooklyn so we went in there for some NY pizza and a "Brooklyn chat" guy choked on his words. Any who, the just opened Cinelli's in Apex, which is from LI, and they are NY pizza. Ciao

Old 02-11-2007, 12:07 PM

2 posts, read 9,104 times
I have been in NC now since Dec. 21. My job is okay, I am stressing it but that comes with any new job. I am very skeptical of the people I work with because I don't trust ANYONE! I already caught one girl twice giving me wrong information while training me.

My daughters, 13 LOVE, LOVE, LOVE IT HERE! They have so many friends! They would NEVER GO BACK to NJ!

Good pizza? I have tried NY Pizza which is good. I will have to try the new place Cinellis in Apex since that is where I live. NYers make the BEST PIZZA! I love the fact that NY pizza has my address, name and phone number on file. So when I call they already know who I am and where I live.

I have yet to venture out and meet anyone because I am still getting settled in and having furniture delivered ect. I will continue to check in and see how everyone else is doing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York