Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2008, 10:21 PM

1,729 posts, read 4,999,435 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
I miss NYC very much and probably always will no matter where I am in the world. THERE IS AND NEVER WILL BE ANOTHER NEW YORK CITY. But I won't be moving back. New Yorkers are the most REALEST people on the planet. You can say whatever you want about us (i.e., rude, unhelpful, arrogant, etc.), but you can never call us FAKE or say we don't tell it like it is (unlike the rest of the country).

Currently live in Los Angeles (which is the complete opposite of NYC in everyway) and although it's taking a bit of getting used to (three years) I'll stick it out for a little while longer til I can find someplace else.

But yeah, on occasion I do miss the city, but there are reasons why I left. Space, comfort and affordability being a few of them.
But isn't Los Angeles, just as expensive as New York?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2008, 12:32 AM

623 posts, read 1,817,821 times
I moved to Las Vegas about 7 years ago from Syracuse NY and there is alot to miss--the old saying the grass is greener on the other side is not always true. Things we miss....

The variety of weather(even snow), 350 days of sunshine gets real boring, everyday is almost the same. I also miss rain--it only rains about 12 inches a year here and when it does rain its for about 5 minutes then goes away.

Food--alot of national chains here but none of the 30 year old mom and pop places that are so good in Syracuse--especially italian food--bottled ragu sauce is considered good here and finding good pizza in Vegas is a real hassle, most of the so-called "real NYC pizza" places are owned by arabs right off the plane that wouldnt know good pizza if it bit them

People--most of the cali transplants( that make up alot of the Vegas population) for some reason want to be treated like rockstars as well as being fake and pretentious. I have lived in the same house for 3 1/2 years and dont even know my neighbors names.

Illegals--they refuse to learn english and want everyone to bow down and treat them special

schools--absolutely school system here, granted NY schools arent the best but they are better than here

water--the tap water in Syracuse is some of the best tasting water in the world, here in Vegas it smells like chlorine and tastes worse

and last but not least, its home

needless to say we are in process of moving back

Old 09-27-2008, 12:25 PM

133 posts, read 498,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrice View Post
I moved to Las Vegas about 7 years ago from Syracuse NY and there is alot to miss--the old saying the grass is greener on the other side is not always true. Things we miss....

The variety of weather(even snow), 350 days of sunshine gets real boring, everyday is almost the same. I also miss rain--it only rains about 12 inches a year here and when it does rain its for about 5 minutes then goes away.

Food--alot of national chains here but none of the 30 year old mom and pop places that are so good in Syracuse--especially italian food--bottled ragu sauce is considered good here and finding good pizza in Vegas is a real hassle, most of the so-called "real NYC pizza" places are owned by arabs right off the plane that wouldnt know good pizza if it bit them

People--most of the cali transplants( that make up alot of the Vegas population) for some reason want to be treated like rockstars as well as being fake and pretentious. I have lived in the same house for 3 1/2 years and dont even know my neighbors names.

Illegals--they refuse to learn english and want everyone to bow down and treat them special

schools--absolutely school system here, granted NY schools arent the best but they are better than here

water--the tap water in Syracuse is some of the best tasting water in the world, here in Vegas it smells like chlorine and tastes worse

Good luck with the move. I too spent a long time away from NY, I was in the military. When I got out there was only one place I wanted to move--and that is back in good ol' NY! To be fair to your situation though, you are living in a city/area well known for pretentious people and seedy lifestyles.

Old 09-27-2008, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorkborn&raised View Post
Good luck with the move. I too spent a long time away from NY, I was in the military. When I got out there was only one place I wanted to move--and that is back in good ol' NY! To be fair to your situation though, you are living in a city/area well known for pretentious people and seedy lifestyles.
This is true--especially the seedy lifestyles part, but that part of it didnt really start to bother me alot until my son reached 3 or so and I began to wonder what influence that would have on his development, and I know that children are a product of good parenting but external influences do matter as well. Granted no place is perfect, but Syracuse, for the most part, is very family friendly

The main reason we moved to Vegas in the first place was the economic growth and potential for small business. And although the Vegas area has been great to me in that aspect it does not outweigh the cons of living here.

Vegas may be a great place to visit once and awhile but its a terrible place to live--especially the parts you dont see on tv

Old 09-27-2008, 07:13 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,947,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrice View Post

My fiance and I seriously considered moving to the Las Vegas suburbs since it's beautiful out there. Thing is, the teacher salaries are pitiful there, and we would be struggling on 2 teacher salaries. Here on Long Island we do ok with our salaries, so we're staying put.

Also, pizza in Syracuse isn't the real NY pizza...you have to be downstate to get the good pizza, lol. I went to school in Cortland, so I experienced upstate pizza; nothing like downstate pizza, sorry lol

Old 09-27-2008, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
My fiance and I seriously considered moving to the Las Vegas suburbs since it's beautiful out there. Thing is, the teacher salaries are pitiful there, and we would be struggling on 2 teacher salaries. Here on Long Island we do ok with our salaries, so we're staying put.

Also, pizza in Syracuse isn't the real NY pizza...you have to be downstate to get the good pizza, lol. I went to school in Cortland, so I experienced upstate pizza; nothing like downstate pizza, sorry lol
Some pizza places around Syracuse have outstanding NY pizza--like Pavones, and San Remo just to name two. I am sure the variety in Cortland isnt the same as Syracuse

If you dont have kids then Vegas can be ok, the weather is great if you like 115 degree summers, constant sunshine, and no rain. As far as the suburbs go, unlike NY there is no variety in houses--they all look the same, and unlike NY, as well as other established cities, there are no good or bad sections--there is crime everywhere. The school system here is horrid, we constantly rank towards the very end of the list year after year. The only advantage you would have had here, from my understanding is property taxes but that might change soon since the city gaming revenues are down across the board and they are seeking new ways to collect money. The only advantage here for teachers, as well as police and firefighters, is that there was a program where if you purchased a house and paid the mortgage for something like 5 years the city would finish paying it off--whether this still exists or not I am not sure considering the revenue situation as well as the housing market here being what it is

Old 09-28-2008, 07:35 PM

3,514 posts, read 9,430,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post

Also, pizza in Syracuse isn't the real NY pizza...you have to be downstate to get the good pizza, lol. I went to school in Cortland, so I experienced upstate pizza; nothing like downstate pizza, sorry
LOL, you can't compare a little tiny town like Cortland to a mid-size metropolitan area like Syracuse. The Syracuse area is more than 15x larger in population than the Cortland area. With the size also comes more variety in food.

I have to agree with jrice. Pavones, San Remo, Varsity Pizza, and Paladino's Pizza all have very good pizza in the Syracuse area.

Old 09-28-2008, 08:25 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,947,320 times
Well if you've had downstate NY pizza, then I can fully believe you that some pizza in Syracuse is truly good lol

Old 04-03-2009, 05:05 PM

283 posts, read 653,168 times
I was born and lived my first 20 years in NYC. I then relocated and spent about 10 years in the Kingston NY area. I moved to Richmond Va and have lived here for 30 years. Would I ever return to New York? NEVER
Kingston was a death sentence for me. It was cold and boring. The Ashokan reservoir is the only thing there that I miss. NYC is exciting and a great place to visit. It is no place to raise a family or try to make a living if you are middle class. Each place in this great country of ours has it's pluses and minuses. What is hell to me may be your paradise. Different strokes for different folks.

Old 04-03-2009, 05:49 PM

50 posts, read 139,147 times
No you are not aone. I'm not from the city but I moved from High Falls to Woodstock then to PA and I miss NY so much. I'd move back in a second if the taxes were not so high. I found my dream house up there but the taxes are so high no way can we afford it. I always wish that when I was getting married I asked him to move there rather than me moving here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York