Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 06:58 AM

786 posts, read 4,733,418 times

Advertisements

When my father was alive he had many friends. He would always just decide to see them and show up at their door step and expect them to drop every thing to entertain him. Because my Dad was so friendly and interesting, most of his friends did not mind. As his old friends died off and Dad made new friends he tended to irritate the new people by his habit of dropping in unannounced.

He could not understand why anyone would be irritated at him. Maybe it was from a simpler day and time he learned his social manners.

Would you show up at a friends door step without calling ahead? Is it a regional thing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2007, 07:06 AM

5,981 posts, read 18,273,106 times
Lord, if my family didn't "pop in" every day I'd be calling the hospital to find out what was wrong......and I do have friends that I pop in on, and they come to see me with little or no advance warning (or call from the driveway)....but they are close friends and those who understand there will be dust bunnies in the corners and I may or may not have time to stop everything.

I work from home - therefore, it is perceived that I do not have a "real" job since I can name my own hours. Unfortunately, I do not care to work between 7 p.m. and 3 a.m. because someone tied up my day with their drama.....a quick stop by is great and if it all falls together, a long stop by may be in order. My friends and family know it's a mixed bag around here - maybe you'll see me, maybe you won't - but the love is there every day.

I've always lived in the south - maybe it IS regional, although we spent a year in the Caribbean and people we hardly knew turned up at all hours of the day - but I think that was what we called "the ex-pat factor"...just folks who were a little displaced and finding their friends and island family where they could.

Most of the time I actually like drop ins unless they are trying to leave their kids with me (sister, sister, will you every learn?).

Old 06-19-2007, 07:16 AM

3,927 posts, read 8,668,858 times
Must be a Southern thing because it happens around here all the time as well. When my dad was alive, I would wake up and find him sitting in the recliner as I walked thru to make coffee. Learned quickly to always be prepared when I left my bedroom and be covered.

I do not find the drop ins as much now, so I do believe it was also a norm in another era. When I was small, my grandmother always set out one to two extra plates for EVERY meal, and when I questioned her about it, she said you just never knew who would drop by.

I also work from home and it does get irritating, people tend to think if you don't work away from home, it is not a real job. I have been training them to think differently for almost ten years.

In all seriousness, I do get a bit put out when someone shows up and after I tell them I am on deadline, must get this done, etc, they say, oh thats ok, I'll just sit here and watch till you are through. AUGH...I can't work with them sitting across from my desk, and they still chatter.

I am guilty of going to see people without calling as well, but not very often. Now that I read this thread, I realize that I do call more so than when I was younger, I guess things do change.

I still say it is a southern thing, after all, we are known for our southern hospitality.

Old 06-19-2007, 07:18 AM

2,724 posts, read 6,426,329 times
My parents live in the house I own next door. I love the fact that I can "pop in" whenever I have a chance. Just wish I had "popped in" on my ex. Could have resolved the divorce much sooner!(and cheaper)

Old 06-19-2007, 07:20 AM

28,897 posts, read 30,274,521 times
I love company, especially having dinner guests...but prefer people phoned first before they come by....basically b/c if I'm working in the yard, or cleaning, I really find it embarrasing if people stop in, cuz I'm not showered and dressed properly...yanno?

Old 06-19-2007, 07:27 AM

1,712 posts, read 4,233,308 times
I would if I could, but I can't because my friends are pretty spread out and some of them live in apartments where you have to find a parking space or buzz them so they let you in. I have to call ahead to see if they'll be home before I make a 30-45 minute trip to their place. It's too complicated here in DC in order to do that. But if a small town and everyone lived next door, then yes I definitely would... and I would also welcome anyone who drops by as long as they respect my space and time.

Old 06-19-2007, 07:59 AM

3,434 posts, read 9,745,612 times
must be a southern thing, cause we (my parents) never called before we went anywhere when my sis and I were growing up, we just went and if that person wasnt home, we went to somebody elses house close by, same at our house, especially on Sunday afternoon, you never knew who might show up. Most of the time I call now before I just "show" up at someones house.

Old 06-19-2007, 08:09 AM

223 posts, read 281,283 times
i never cared for family,friends or neighbors stopping by.alot of the times i would be sleeping or busy doing other stuff.i prefer people to call first & sometimes i just wont answer the door unless i know your expected.bottom line....i call first & i expect you to do the same.

Old 06-19-2007, 02:54 PM

1,080 posts, read 4,587,473 times
I would always call especially at the last minute..........one time my dh and I were at a friends house (we were invited) and we just sat down to eat and the doorbell rang, relatives of there's popped up out of nowhere, our host
ran into the kitchen and said to his wife, add more water to the stew, we have more company.

My parents lived next door to me at one time and she never came over unless I called her and invited her, I could go over to her house unannounced, but she would never come over, only if I invited her. Strange to say the least.

Old 06-19-2007, 03:15 PM

1,226 posts, read 3,646,094 times
No, I would not. I would feel very uncomfortable (I always expect people to do other things and not want me over) and somewhat rude. I don't know if it is because I believe other people would actually feel irritated with me, or just becasue I myself don't like it when people just "was in the neighbourhood" (I'm quite non-spontaneous - ah! ok, call it anti-social then!)
I know a person who loves to just "come by" and he is driving me crazy. He wakes me up in the morning (no clothes, they are all over my couch) or any other time of the day. And he doesn't accept that I have things to do.

Am I strange for wanting to be warned at least a day or two in advance before someone visits? (Please say no!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships