Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2019, 02:43 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,892,275 times

Advertisements

Therapy and help learning how to set boundaries

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2019, 03:53 PM

10,503 posts, read 7,048,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lital_The_Best View Post
They really don't and it eats me alive. I don't know what the chuck I have to do sometimes to get their respect. It's like, no matter what I do-to them-it's never important. They act as if whatever I am doing is of no importance, that I can just drop whatever it is I am doing and do what they want. Every time I plan on doing something, or want to do something, plan on doing something, it's a "whatever" to them. Its one thing if I have to deal with if but I LIVE with it.

Today for instance, I told my mother that I wanted to take my little brothers to karate class after school. However, she goes and takes them shopping, after I took time off so I can take them like I promised. I dropped all the other stuff that I COULD have done with my time just so I can take them but she takes them shopping and says she forgot. She didn't even frakkin apologize! AT LEAST apologize!

What she did wasn't terrible but whenever my time is wasted, its nothing to her because its never a big deal. My family acts as if I don't work, have a hobby and sit at home all day every day with my thumb up my ass. Even if I am working, they'll call me and ask me stupid questions as if I am not working! I.E: Are you home? Can you do this? It's just like they assume stuff.

I'm telling you, no matter what I do in life, no matter what I accomplish, no matter what I achieve, its nothing to them.

I don't ask to be celebrated, put on a pedestal, praised for everything but I would appreciate more respect. I don't even bother talking to them about it because it usually turns into an argument because they blow it off, which in turn angers me and they I have to get nasty because I feel like my point wasn't proven.

This frustrates me a whole lot. I can climb Mt. Everest 3 times and they wouldn't think its a big deal. I feel undermined and unappreciated. I feel they never really listen to me...I don't know what to do.

Anyone else ever have this issue with their family?

Yep.

I am the fourth of four. I have founded, grown, and sold three businesses. I have been interviewed multiple times by the Wall Street Journal and on national television. I have clients around the country, including major markets. My wife and I are not rich, but we have done very well. I have lots of friends, plenty of accomplishments, and I have plenty of new, exciting things in the offing. I don't spend my life on CD, even though it seems that way. It's a useful warm up for writing.

Yet I'm still treated in many ways as if I'm less than capable. My sister is in charge of my mother's checking account, even though she spends money like a pimp with a week to live. Just two weeks ago, our family conversation was relevant to what I do for a living. I have clients who pay me significant amounts to do the very thing they were discussing. I chime in a couple of thoughts and my sister says, "I just don't think that's right," and continues spouting her half-baked opinions.

But, in truth, none of that really bothers me any longer. Why? Because I made peace with it.

The secret to happiness is very simple: Do not care what other people think of you. With the exception of your significant other and your employer, the opinions of others matter less than you think. And the more they matter to you, the more power they have over you. Mind you, that is not encouragement for you to ignore your family, be rude to others, or neglect your obligations as a person. At the same time, by relying on external validation for your happiness, you will be forever pursuing praise from others. This is an unhealthy way to live.

Old 04-02-2019, 07:14 PM

12,780 posts, read 14,996,596 times
So this thread was started 8 yrs ago & OP is 32 now. I saw he was last on this board altogether one of the last days of 2018.

I wish he'd return here. How are things NOW, OP? I hope you've been done w/ them all.

In a nutshell, my fiance' could have said your EXACT words down to the tee, OP! My fiance' has 5 immediate fam members & they're ALL what are called NARCISSISTS, just like YOUR fam & others w/ the same type of families. My fiance' wrote his dad off about several to 10 yrs ago. Now, he's recently realized that his other 4 fam members are just as bad because they've all gotten worse & worse throughout the years. He's recently been to the point where he wants nothing to do w/ ANY of the 5 of them (both biological parents who are divorced & his 3 siblings).

Old 04-03-2019, 12:58 AM

12 posts, read 7,370 times
Lids a rattlin' belchin' steam
Life ain't nothin but a fevered dream
'You're a lowly villain'
'You're a terrible liar'
'But we're both here cookin' on the same old fire'
Guts a bubblin' belchin' steam
Life ain't nothin but a fevered dream
'You're a chanty pot'
'And you're a ****e for brains'
'But we're both here hangin' on the same old chains'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships