Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2012, 10:36 PM

3,814 posts, read 6,785,580 times

Advertisements

The "maybe we'll see you at church" line speaks volumes regarding his intentions. I would give the money back immediately. Tell him God told you that you must give it back and that you are not in a relationship with your SO where you keep secrets from each other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2012, 11:20 PM

3,437 posts, read 6,075,469 times
This one is difficult ... Keep the money OR pay if forward, you decide.
When you are around him listen to that little voice everyone has, sometimes it speaks in whispers so you need to listen real close.

There was a guy at a previous job that just gave me that "feeling", turns out he was a rapist and ended up shooting himself when the cops were closing in.

This guy may just be a Christian that practices what he preaches and found out ya'll were having money problems so he thought he would help.

Old 01-19-2012, 11:57 PM

5,874 posts, read 10,530,547 times
I have to admit i did got a creepy vibe when reading it, like the guy was onto something, and this is what most people think here.

But what if he is just kind?? I mean, we ve become so cynical this days that randoms acts or kindness between strangers lead us to all kind of spooky conclusions.

Maybe he meant well?

Old 01-19-2012, 11:58 PM

4,862 posts, read 7,964,579 times
I say get $500.00 of scratch off tickets. Anything over $500.00 you keep. Then again as a man I wouldn't want any woman of mine taking money from another man. So it's a internal decision.

Then again he just might be a good person who came along in your time of need.

Old 01-20-2012, 12:22 AM

3,052 posts, read 4,306,249 times
Geez. You guys are so horribly mistrustful and suspicious! I'm a born and raised New Yorker and I'm not that cynical.

What has he done that's so weird besides giving her that money? Bugging her about going to church? If I were suspicious of everyone who nagged me to go to their church I'd be looking around every corner. So he's a little strange and strongly into his church? Big froop and whoop.

Don't you dare give that money back.

Old 01-20-2012, 02:15 AM

5,419 posts, read 9,198,193 times
It is indeed strange because the neighbor kept asking about going to church, and then up and decides to give her money. If she tried giving it back but he refused to take it back, then just use it for something... though it sounds like his timing was about right, with that water heater thing.

Just remember it the next time you're in a charitable mood, paying it forward does make you feel pretty good sometimes.

Old 01-20-2012, 02:36 AM

3,059 posts, read 8,285,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwifruit2 View Post
It was just out of the ordinary, I mean who does that. My bf is still freaked out by it.
I have really mixed feelings about this. And I have known of people that "do that" so it isn't as uncommon as you think. Maybe he has a pipeline to the divine that you don't. Or not - who knows!? He believes God is talking to him and telling him to give you $500? And he gives you $500. But you were doing just fine financially at the time right? Oh. No you weren't actually. So who knows?

Having said that, I would really hate being preached at and being bugged to go to church and you are so right - he should have slipped it into the mailbox anonymously.

Old 01-20-2012, 02:52 AM

9 posts, read 11,729 times
Talking God does this type of stuff

Hi...

Like everything in life one must be careful but I will tell you that I have felt the stirrring of God many times to give money and have responded.

Some times I know that the family is struggling and God will stir me to do so. Sometimes it has been that I meet someone and God will stir me to give them an amount of money and it always within what I can give.

At times my faith has been tested becuase I just had that amount but always later I get blessed and I do not lack.

Now on thing I will tell you...God doesn't try to buy us out so we can go to church. When he moves in this manner he wants us to know that he sees what we are going through and he cares.

For me when I give money I always tell the people that if they are going to give thanks to give it to God because he knew what the needed not me.

I never want to get the glory for that stuff and in my mind money only is as good as how you can bless someone.

I always pray God will give me more so I can help more. I have done this many times and even bought grocerys for someone. I can certainly say this it feels awesome when you can bless someones life instead of making it worse.

By the way pls don't ask me for money because it does not work that way. There is a special calling when this happens.

So if you feel that God heard you when you were crying and feel that you want to go to church then go. Maybe its God just calling to you in a special way.

Thanks for sharing your testimony becuase it is encourging to no that I am not the only one that listens to God's voice and responds.

God Bless!

Valerie

Old 01-20-2012, 02:59 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,284,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
give him my address :d !!

Seriously - i would not take it, and i would think - god or not, he is a weirdo!
:d

Old 01-20-2012, 03:07 AM

674 posts, read 1,055,990 times
This would probably be a book in the bible if it had happened 2000 years ago. Now when god talks to people they're just crazy.

Go figure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships