Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 12:05 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,784,725 times

Advertisements

Does she wear deodorant? Or does she wear tops that are made of that Body Armour material that tends to wick the sweat but leave behind a stink?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2012, 12:09 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,749,614 times
If she is your best friend, she won't be offended. I would hope that my best friend would tell me. Maybe she really doesn't know or know how to deal with it.

Body odor can be caused by the food one eats, not using strong enough deodarant, not using the correct soap etc. She may need to experiment. As her friend TELL HER!

Old 08-14-2012, 12:49 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,375,627 times
It's a variety of things. I know some people of Indian stock (the immigrants, not the American-born ones) who have a weird odor because what they eat must come through their pores and you have no choice but to stand away from them. For others, it's a medical condition - such as something like endometriosis (sp), a lady I knew smelled and others noticed it, and it can be something malfunctioning in the endocrine system.

A smelly person is a MAJOR turn-off.

Old 08-14-2012, 12:51 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,137,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
If she is your best friend, she won't be offended. I would hope that my best friend would tell me. Maybe she really doesn't know or know how to deal with it.

Body odor can be caused by the food one eats, not using strong enough deodarant, not using the correct soap etc. She may need to experiment. As her friend TELL HER!

Agreed, It may be ineffective deodorant or lack of it totally. however, Are you sure she does not have some medical concern that may be causing this?

Old 08-14-2012, 01:43 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,508,945 times
BO like sweat? Or just a weird smell?

Old 08-14-2012, 01:57 PM

314 posts, read 626,062 times
Go shopping with her for sweetly scented body spray at a popular chain retail store.

Old 08-14-2012, 02:04 PM

142 posts, read 505,890 times
I actually stopped dating someone because of his body odor and not knowing how to tell him. Sad that people can't smell themselves . . .

Old 08-14-2012, 02:59 PM

1,039 posts, read 2,426,451 times
I would say something to her in a gentle way, as a best friend you should be able to unless you are painfully shy or afraid of her possible reaction somehow?

Old 08-14-2012, 03:36 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,879,364 times
Sometimes when someone's been using the same deodorant for a long time, it quits working for them. You could always casually suggest a different one, as in "Hey, I tried one of those new clinical strength deodorants and it works so well, it's crazy. I mean, it keeps my underarms so dry that I can feel it repelling water in the shower."

Or it could be that she's wearing perfume and it goes weird because of her body chemistry...I've had a few perfumes that I had to quit wearing because they started smelling like onions and garlic on me after the second or third time I wore them.

Old 08-14-2012, 03:36 PM

13,496 posts, read 18,195,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxbabeechick View Post
....and i know she showers daily and everything so i'm not sure what's the cause. i don't want to tell her and offend her over something it's likely that she cannot help.

unsure what to do.
She's a friend, so you should bring it up.

One question that occurs to me: If she is a longtime friend, is this a problem she's had for quite awhile or is it a recent problem? If it is recent, perhaps it is a health or medication problem.

I had a female boss who had this problem, and she also showered every day and used deodorant. When it finally was drawn to her attention - anonymously. She asked me, and I had to tell her, "Yes, you off and on do have very unpleasant BO." Turned out she had no sense of smell, which explained a number of other things that had nothing to do with BO.

But the problem was that as she could not smell her body odor on her clothes, she wasn't dry cleaning or washing some of them frequently enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships