Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2012, 06:32 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,225,526 times

Advertisements

I work with a young woman who graduated high school at 17 and joined the Army. She is very bright, tested high and got into a good career field that allowed her to get out after 4 years and is now a contractor for the USAF. Her situation is maybe slightly different. She loves her mother but her mother drove her crazy and she wanted out of the house. No bad back story or fight, she just didn't like living with her mother and wanted to be independent.
Just a thought. If you were to consider military service make sure you get good advice before signing a contract.
I'm not saying give up on your relationship with your mother. Time, and possibly a little distance, will probably solve that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2012, 08:07 AM

5,544 posts, read 8,320,136 times
Believe she said Dad is disabled, 4 more kids in the house, and older sister got kicked out for misbehavior and lives on her own?

I kinda feel for Mom without knowing the whole situation. And I feel for the girl and wonder that all this for weed and police action might be a little much.

But it sounds like Mom has the care of all of this on her shoulders and maybe She needs some support herself. That might explain this excessive response.

Old 05-28-2012, 11:18 AM

48,534 posts, read 34,882,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesmama View Post
Anyway, emancipation isn't the answer for all of them because it's difficult to support oneself, which I assume most do. How did you do it? Did you branch on your own? Move in with someone?
My bio dad had to pay child support until I was 18, so I got that check.. around $275, already had a job, so went full time, and room mates.

Old 05-28-2012, 04:09 PM

8,228 posts, read 14,225,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldnorthstate View Post
Believe she said Dad is disabled, 4 more kids in the house, and older sister got kicked out for misbehavior and lives on her own?

I kinda feel for Mom without knowing the whole situation. And I feel for the girl and wonder that all this for weed and police action might be a little much.

But it sounds like Mom has the care of all of this on her shoulders and maybe She needs some support herself. That might explain this excessive response.
Good points

Old 05-29-2012, 12:24 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,116,372 times
I just saw this thread - and there's not a thing I can add - other than to throw my support behind you, OP. People make mistakes, not just teens.

Hang in there, it sounds as though you've learned your lesson and are back on the right track. And please do keep all of us informed. Good luck. I think you'll make it.

Old 05-31-2012, 03:43 PM

6,658 posts, read 4,749,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faithhiee View Post
well today my mom actually came up to me (first time in 2 weeks). she told me that im no longer welcome here.. so, i guess im moving out today since she doesn't care where i go as long as i go.
that was a little easier than i thought it would be :/ but, at least we all don't have to deal with each other anymore. Thanks for the advice you guys.
You might want to find friends to live with.

Old 06-21-2012, 09:03 PM

97 posts, read 180,377 times
Faithhiee, I just found this thread and I have to tell you that sometimes people under duress (a disabled husband and 4/5 kids is definetely duress) will say and do things that they will regret later. I sinderely hope that your situation (with your mom) will not embiter either you or her and that it will get better. I know my sister and my mother had a lot of fights eventually she ran away from home and married her BF. (different cultures and years caused for different expectations) Any way my sister and mother eventually started talking again and within five years they had a very loving relationship. I kow five years seems a long time to but i assure you - as an old man - five years is nothing.

Old 06-22-2012, 09:18 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,289,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faithhiee View Post
my mom told my entire extended family, not just my immediate family, what i did so they aren't speaking to me either... and no i didn't murder anyone. lol. i just got caught up with the wrong crowd for a few weeks and around here, you are who your with. i really don't know what my mom is expecting me to do to live or feed myself but i figure she thinks i can make it on my own, and i will do my best to prove that to her. and i will do what it takes to stay off of the streets, even if it involves going to a shelter.
Hang in there Faithhiee...I was barely 17 when I left home....keep that positive attitude..hope everything works out
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships