Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 07:51 AM

2,758 posts, read 4,958,706 times

Advertisements

How do you feel about facebook defriending? Is it the Ultimate insult?
What about if a relationship with a partner ends, is it typical to defriend the now ex? Or are most people keeping the ex-bf or ex-gf on the facebook friend list?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2012, 09:08 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,167,496 times
I prefer to just hide their posts so I can't see them anymore. Not an ex, usually an acquaintance I'm annoyed by, or don't really socialize with anymore outside of FB.

Old 05-30-2012, 09:28 AM

6,560 posts, read 8,391,660 times
Meh. I don't consider it an insult. I have been unfriended by people whom I didn't interact with very much so it was no big deal.

I recently unfriended someone who I had been good friends with but it's been two years since we last got together and I have reached out countless times to schedule something (with her not reciprocating) and each time it getting cancelled by her, I was done with the friendship.

I am not FB friends with any of my exes. I have been with my husband for 13 years, at this point, if I am friending an ex - I am inviting trouble.

Old 05-30-2012, 10:36 AM

6,126 posts, read 10,107,581 times
I don't really care. If it's someone I don't talk to a lot then I probably wouldn't even notice. If it's an ex I just dated for awhile and the break up wasn't dramatic then no I wouldn't delete them.

Old 05-30-2012, 11:03 AM

2,758 posts, read 4,958,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberrykiki View Post
I don't really care. If it's someone I don't talk to a lot then I probably wouldn't even notice. If it's an ex I just dated for awhile and the break up wasn't dramatic then no I wouldn't delete them.
I'm curious, why not delete them (the ex that ended ok)? Is it possible that you become friends (or possibly more) in the future? Or, are you moreso being sensitive to that persons feelings by not deleting them?

Old 05-30-2012, 11:39 AM

9,238 posts, read 22,897,313 times
I tend to "clean up" my friends list every once in a while, and weed out the people I had friended only because they wanted to view a picture I sent someone else, or people who friended me whom I never had a subsequent conversation with. No insult intended; just like to keep life simpler, and my friends list under 200.

The only person I only defriended because of their behavior was a girl I worked with about 10 years ago who found me and friended me about 6 months ago, saying how great it was to find me and catch up. Ever since, I've seen her daily posts about her exciting home based business in which she makes so much money that she may soon quit her day job, and "message me if you want to learn more." She's in some pyramid scheme cult and only friended people to try to get them to join. No thanks, defriend.

The people who post annoying things, or who feel the need to post 8-10 times a day just get hidden by me, but not defriended.

Old 05-30-2012, 12:01 PM

6,126 posts, read 10,107,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AverageGuy2006 View Post
I'm curious, why not delete them (the ex that ended ok)? Is it possible that you become friends (or possibly more) in the future? Or, are you moreso being sensitive to that persons feelings by not deleting them?
In this case it was someone I only dated for about 2 months. Things didn't work out because I was getting ready to move across the country. It just seemed petty to delete him. I don't care if I don't talk to everyone on my friends list. I understand weeding out people, but I'm not posting my deep dark secrets on FB so it doesn't matter to me who reads it.

Old 05-30-2012, 01:44 PM

1,077 posts, read 2,632,809 times
My friends mom "friended" me just because I play two games she plays. She only friends people to have friends for games. All it took was her making one insulting comment about my son (her grandsons friend) and I de-friended her in a heartbeat. She was pissed! Emailed me calling me names, insulting me and my family ect...Glad I did it though.

Old 05-30-2012, 01:51 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,167,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magoomafoo View Post
My friends mom "friended" me just because I play two games she plays. She only friends people to have friends for games. All it took was her making one insulting comment about my son (her grandsons friend) and I de-friended her in a heartbeat. She was pissed! Emailed me calling me names, insulting me and my family ect...Glad I did it though.
What is wrong with people? FB really can bring out the worst.

Old 05-30-2012, 04:25 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times
I'm surprised everyone hasn't defriended me since I never post anything. I know a few have after making a friend request and being bored by what they saw! HAH! Occasionally someone will send me an email through FB, someone who wouldn't necessarily have my email addy because we aren't part of each others worlds, and that's the reason I leave it up to others to add/delete me. I could care less.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships