Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2013, 11:24 PM

250 posts, read 383,598 times

Advertisements

Anyone have a friend on facebook.. who rarely post anything and when they do it is just to brag? I have a few like that on mine. It is crazy. When you think about it... they are not gonna post things like... I gained 15 pounds, My S/O is leaving me,got the car repoed.. LOL...but what is the point of it all. I had another friend who all she ever posted was about her engagement,planning her wedding the countdown..XX amount of days till the wedding and I'm talking like 10 posts a day about her wedding. One day she did not post the countdown and no mention of her wedding ever since. Someone asked her why she has not talked about she had no answer. The date has since past and needless to say she never married. Sometimes I think social media is a good thing and other times bad. Just makes it easier to brag to sometimes thousands of people at once instead of just a small group. Whats your take?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2013, 07:19 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
Facebook is to City-Data Forum what cartoons are to the Discovery Channel. The cesspool of narcissism.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/paren...ents-like.html

Old 05-18-2013, 07:22 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times
[quote=pulse1000;29619070]Anyone have a friend on facebook.. who rarely post anything and when they do it is just to brag? I have a few like that on mine. It is crazy. When you think about it... they are not gonna post things like... I gained 15 pounds, My S/O is leaving me,got the car repoed.. LOL...but what is the point of it all. I had another friend who all she ever posted was about her engagement,planning her wedding the countdown..XX amount of days till the wedding and I'm talking like 10 posts a day about her wedding. One day she did not post the countdown and no mention of her wedding ever since. Someone asked her why she has not talked about she had no answer. The date has since past and needless to say she never married. Sometimes I think social media is a good thing and other times bad. Just makes it easier to brag to sometimes thousands of people at once instead of just a small group. Whats your take?[/quote]

I wish I would have deactivated my account 2 years before I did deactivate it about one year ago.

Old 05-18-2013, 07:32 AM

11,396 posts, read 24,456,213 times
When people are excited about something they like to tell people about it. When they're embarrassed, like your friend's not getting married, they don't like to discuss.

You also might wonder why certain people only post on city-data when they have a problem or want to complain.

If you don't want to deal with a person's annoying FB updates, change your settings and you won't see them anymore.

Old 05-20-2013, 01:10 PM

1,843 posts, read 3,059,001 times
Yes, I have 'hidden' many people from my news feed because I can see through their bull. One girl in particular, who was my college roommate, is the WORST at this. She only posts to brag, about her job, comments people make to her, and so on. According to her, she is the most powerful/beautiful person EVER! For example, a few weeks ago she posted about her experience as a 30 year old so far, & actually posted that people are always telling her how much younger than 30 she looks. Then again, I couldn't stand to be around her after a while in college, because she was so full of herself. Needless to say, I avoid reading her posts.

I think some people just need to feel superior, I don't know.

Old 05-21-2013, 05:46 AM

2,802 posts, read 3,190,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pulse1000 View Post
Anyone have a friend on facebook.. who rarely post anything and when they do it is just to brag? I have a few like that on mine. It is crazy. When you think about it... they are not gonna post things like... I gained 15 pounds, My S/O is leaving me,got the car repoed.. LOL...but what is the point of it all. I had another friend who all she ever posted was about her engagement,planning her wedding the countdown..XX amount of days till the wedding and I'm talking like 10 posts a day about her wedding. One day she did not post the countdown and no mention of her wedding ever since. Someone asked her why she has not talked about she had no answer. The date has since past and needless to say she never married. Sometimes I think social media is a good thing and other times bad. Just makes it easier to brag to sometimes thousands of people at once instead of just a small group. Whats your take?
Be glad that somebody is bragging rather than airing their dirty laundry to everybody. I have had some old friends who would constantly post crap about the bad things going on in their lives. It was due to their own stupidity, irresponsible behavior, and unwillingness to change their stupid, foolish ways. One day I finally became sick of seeing that crap, I posted something about them needing to change the types of fools they hang around, change their stupid behavior, and actually follow through on their promises of doing better in life. Upon seeing my response to their stupidity, I noticed they had removed me from their buddy list. To oblivion with those kinds of people! I'd rather read a bragging status update than stupidity any day.

Old 05-21-2013, 06:14 AM

1,843 posts, read 3,059,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creature of the Wheel View Post
Be glad that somebody is bragging rather than airing their dirty laundry to everybody. I have had some old friends who would constantly post crap about the bad things going on in their lives. It was due to their own stupidity, irresponsible behavior, and unwillingness to change their stupid, foolish ways. One day I finally became sick of seeing that crap, I posted something about them needing to change the types of fools they hang around, change their stupid behavior, and actually follow through on their promises of doing better in life. Upon seeing my response to their stupidity, I noticed they had removed me from their buddy list. To oblivion with those kinds of people! I'd rather read a bragging status update than stupidity any day.
Yes, I think there are certain 'types' of facebook people...the ones who do nothing but complain, the ones who brag, the ones who argue and post nothing but drama. I'm mostly on there to keep up with old friends and see my cousins' kids, and I like to read & post jokes or photos of beautiful places. Funny story-I deleted a girl who is friends with my fiance. She is constantly negative, and looking for attention. After about 6 months I got an email from her, I guess she finally realized I deleted her! She emailed me saying "Did you delete me?? Are you mad at me??" & for a while I didn't answer, she just kept emailing me. It was really embarrassing

Old 05-21-2013, 06:19 AM

28,896 posts, read 30,274,521 times
Who are we, to tell someone else what to post and what not to post....
We all live very small lives, when you think about it...seriously....
I love to share happineness and happy events....while some parents love to brag about their children and grandchildren, or are so overjoyed at happy events in their lives.
There is so little happiness in the world today, we actually are forgetting to be happy....so that when an event comes along, we become so excited to be blessed with such happiness.

As far as the girl getting married and posting about it 10 times a day, so what? Is she hurting anyone?
She was happy, truly excited....if anything, I would feel so badly for her now....

I graduated with a girl from school, who married another classmate who became a very successful attorney. Well, they are pretty well off, and she posts about her vacations, if she remodels a room, etc. Someone said she was bragging....I don't think so, what she was sharing was her life....the only life she knows....I had a very sweet considerate, loving friends, who was a genuine people magnet...everyone she met, along the way, loved her...she was well to do....and I mean, the entire family was successful and well off....she shared with me, many stories of gala events she attended, or hosted...or her son's and they're wives hosted....she wasn't bragging, she was sharing her life with me, which in fact, I felt very honored to have her as a friend.

Personally, once again, I think as a society, we've become very self centered and have forgotten how to be aware...remember, we all live in our little invisible plastic bubbles we call "our lives" that we alone have created for ourselves....away from the rest of the world...so lets try and not be so judging of the happiness of others, in the stead, why not rejoice and celebrate with them?

Who was it that said, "I believe we endure such hard times, to really embrace happiness when it does come".

Old 05-21-2013, 06:54 AM

5,696 posts, read 19,146,766 times
Facebook braggers are annoying but so are the one that use it as a shrink's chair. I have hidden a few people for both. I found over time its not worth the drama of deleting someone unless they are extremely rude or something. I know one woman that lost over a 150 lbs. Amazing feat but jeez she never stops talking about it and its been 2 yrs now. I think what bothers me is she is always fishing for compliments. She posts at least something about her weight once a week or more. Its always the same thing. "Oh my goodness I went clothes shopping and ended up in the plus dept. and thought why am I here? ha ha." Or "I just cant believe how tiny I am." or " I am so sexy now!" She constantly adds a new photo of herself other week. I mean I get it, that takes major dedication but enough already. There is always people telling her what an inspiration she is. I think if people chilled out on the kudos she might shut up for awhile. Personally, I think she still has poor self image issues. Although she lost the weight, she looks really old now. Like shockingly old. Everytime she posts a picture of herself I am more amazed by how she aged than how small she is.

Then I got another one that went through a divorce and shared every morsel of what, who, when and so on. Then I got a nephew that lives on facebook. "getting ready for work!"...."on my lunch"...."at the grocery store"... geezz

Old 05-21-2013, 07:02 AM

28,896 posts, read 30,274,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
Facebook braggers are annoying but so are the one that use it as a shrink's chair. I have hidden a few people for both. I found over time its not worth the drama of deleting someone unless they are extremely rude or something. I know one woman that lost over a 150 lbs. Amazing feat but jeez she never stops talking about it and its been 2 yrs now. I think what bothers me is she is always fishing for compliments. She posts at least something about her weight once a week or more. Its always the same thing. "Oh my goodness I went clothes shopping and ended up in the plus dept. and thought why am I here? ha ha." Or "I just cant believe how tiny I am." or " I am so sexy now!" She constantly adds a new photo of herself other week. I mean I get it, that takes major dedication but enough already. There is always people telling her what an inspiration she is. I think if people chilled out on the kudos she might shut up for awhile. Personally, I think she still has poor self image issues. Although she lost the weight, she looks really old now. Like shockingly old. Everytime she posts a picture of herself I am more amazed by how she aged than how small she is.

Then I got another one that went through a divorce and shared every morsel of what, who, when and so on. Then I got a nephew that lives on facebook. "getting ready for work!"...."on my lunch"...."at the grocery store"... geezz
But don't you understand, right now, that is all she has in her life, and you've gotta admit, loosing all that weight was an outstanding feat....sometimes, people are not bragging, but actually talking to themselves, reinforcing that power within?

some use fb as drama, a need for attention...etc...but for the most part, isn't it quit amazing, how small our worlds really are....
we don't all think and feel like you do...and yes, sometime, when people lose weight they look older...heavy round faced people actually look younger....

by the way, I'm organizing an overnight trip to go see falling water, always had a desire to see it.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships