Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 06:52 PM

4,164 posts, read 6,317,420 times

Advertisements

I hear people say that they connect with high school friends on Facebook. It sounds like they had (have) quite a few friends. Not sure...I don't have a Facebook page and I don't go to high school reunions. So I'm not in the "loop."...I've been mostly a loner for my entire life. (With just a few friends or acqaintances here and there at times.).. I don't really know what's popular to say (or claim) today because I'm not part of the "general public" very often.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2012, 07:11 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,364,652 times
I was not popular in high school at all. I had a few friends here and there, but never any best friends. I was never in the group of giggling girls. No biggie.

Old 07-17-2012, 07:34 PM

51 posts, read 124,410 times
I think people don't like to admit that they were popular because they're afraid others will think they were *******s in high school.

Old 07-18-2012, 05:51 PM

943 posts, read 1,321,315 times
I had a strange life in high school:

Up till early 10th grade I went to school in Montreal. I was pretty unpopular there, for no reason that I could determine. Bullied quite a lot.

In November of 10th grade our family moved to Los Angeles. The reasons are irrelevant to this story.

I finished high school in Los Angeles. Nobody there knew me before 10th grade. I wouldn't say I was prom king there, but I was reasonably popular, had plenty of friends and certainly was never bullied.

I've never really been able to understand why the big difference.

Old 07-19-2012, 01:00 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,632,033 times
My 10 year high school reunion is coming up this October and I've been kind of nostalgic lately. I was bullied BADLY in high school. My hair was forcibly cut off, my clothes were stolen in gym multiple times, my truck was keyed and I was made fun of to the point of dropping out Sophomore year and completing most of my studies in a continuation/alternative high school. I did one last semester in senior year so I could 'walk with my class' because it was important to my Mother. I basically hated everyone that went to that High School and while I feel slightly bad thinking this, looking up all those people on Facebook who made my life miserable in HS and seeing how they obviously peaked during those 4 years makes me feel a bit better.

I have come in contact (via FB) with a few people I went to HS with and some of them have joked about how WE were so unpopular and made fun of...no, you weren't unpopular just because you weren't super popular. You weren't bullied, you didn't have to drop out of school because someone decided to start a rumor that you had AIDS and peoples parents called the school and complained about their precious kids being in the same class as me. You didn't drop out of school and have people send your parents 'Sorry about your loss' cards and flowers because they thought I'd died.

Yeah. This reunion should be interesting.

Old 07-19-2012, 02:25 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,068,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
My 10 year high school reunion is coming up this October and I've been kind of nostalgic lately. I was bullied BADLY in high school. My hair was forcibly cut off, my clothes were stolen in gym multiple times, my truck was keyed and I was made fun of to the point of dropping out Sophomore year and completing most of my studies in a continuation/alternative high school. I did one last semester in senior year so I could 'walk with my class' because it was important to my Mother. I basically hated everyone that went to that High School and while I feel slightly bad thinking this, looking up all those people on Facebook who made my life miserable in HS and seeing how they obviously peaked during those 4 years makes me feel a bit better.

I have come in contact (via FB) with a few people I went to HS with and some of them have joked about how WE were so unpopular and made fun of...no, you weren't unpopular just because you weren't super popular. You weren't bullied, you didn't have to drop out of school because someone decided to start a rumor that you had AIDS and peoples parents called the school and complained about their precious kids being in the same class as me. You didn't drop out of school and have people send your parents 'Sorry about your loss' cards and flowers because they thought I'd died.

Yeah. This reunion should be interesting.
That sucks, why did they target you so much?

Old 07-19-2012, 02:39 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,632,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
That sucks, why did they target you so much?
I was tall, and super thin/lanky with big poofy curly hair. For some reason once one targets you, the rest follow so once I was picked on by one popular girl, the rest just followed. It didn't help that I was smart and quiet either.... I 'ruined' the curve in many classes and got a lot of crap for it. Plus, I had scars from surgeries and medical problems where I was in and out of school often. Of course, kids can't just ask or assume the best, they had to assume I had some horrible comunicable disease and acted accordingly.

Old 07-19-2012, 02:42 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,068,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
I was tall, and super thin/lanky with big poofy curly hair. For some reason once one targets you, the rest follow so once I was picked on by one popular girl, the rest just followed. It didn't help that I was smart and quiet either.... I 'ruined' the curve in many classes and got a lot of crap for it. Plus, I had scars from surgeries and medical problems where I was in and out of school often. Of course, kids can't just ask or assume the best, they had to assume I had some horrible comunicable disease and acted accordingly.
Seriously? Really that bad? I was nerdy - well nerdy looking, at least - but wasn't really bullied. I was a loner and not anti-social, but was never seriously bullied. Maybe American schools are worse, I always assumed the movies exaggerated things for drama but you're telling me you got treated like s**t for that?

Old 07-19-2012, 11:04 AM

2,802 posts, read 3,190,892 times
In a high school with a student body of 4200, I was unpopular, and I was fine with that. I've always been the person people didn't like for whatever reason. When asked, people couldn't give me an answer. It was usually, "I just don't like you." To this day, I'm not very popular wherever I go. I've always been a loner. I don't find anything wrong with loners, either.

It's been 11 years since I've graduated from high school. It's amazing to see where many of those popular people have gone in their lives. Most of them are alcoholics, pain med addicts, living a miserable life, have become fat and out of shape, divorced and being raped on child support, the former hot girls are mostly fat and nasty looking, and all they talk about is their years in high school. All they have are those years. They haven't done jack squat with themselves. Perhaps if they weren't too busy putting the outsiders down, they would have their stuff together during these trying times. I look at them and begin laughing.

Has anybody noticed the popular kids are usually the ones who are involved in fatal drunk driving accidents during their high school years?

Old 07-19-2012, 11:27 AM

5,522 posts, read 10,200,392 times
I dont know if its cool, but I actually had a high school experience similiar to yours. I had zero friends (although I played rec baseball with a couple kids in my grade who became "aquaintances"), I slept through all my classes, was picked on a little bit in my freshmen and sophmore years, and instead of "hiding out" in my lunch period, I hid behind a medical condition in my senior year, and got half day releases one day, and I got put in a "special" study block that had 4 kids in it during the other day. I didnt have a car, I sort of had a girlfriend, if you count a long distance thing, wasnt allowed to play any school sports...etc etc.

I cant imagine why anyone would actually want that high school experience. I hated every single day of my life between the ages of 14 and 17.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships