Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2012, 11:58 AM

6,570 posts, read 8,422,931 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
Id like to reverse this for a minute, maybe it will help w. perspective.

My brother is extremely well-to do. As is his wife, my SIL.

I have not expected or received a gift from them for a decade. What a married couple does in their family, is their business. It is not appropriate to meddle in other peoples families.

If you have a party, bring food or wine. It will help your sanity alot more than expecting "similar treatment" from your sister, and/or her husband.

I cant help but think you are wanting something from them, which imo, is unrealistic and rather selfish. Sorry.
OPs sister is hosting a Christmas gathering that includes both sides of the families (the sister's and the sister's husband). Only the husband's side of the family will be receiving gifts at this gathering.

They make a big show of one-by-one his side of the family opening their gifts while everyone sits around and oohs and aahs. While the sister's side of the family sits there with hurt feelings because they were not similary treated. (and by the way, I imagine the husband's side must feel a little awkward by this show)

OP is concerned about her mother's feelings of being left out. OP does want something - she wants some consideration from her sister and BIL about their feelings. If sister and BIL want to do an exchange with his side only - fine, but don't put on a big show in front of those who are not included.

I don't blame her. It's tacky and excluding to do a gift exchange this way.

Old 11-29-2012, 12:06 PM

244 posts, read 253,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PippySkiddles View Post
when YOU ask for responses,then you most certainly do have to take all the responses you get. No one has gotten hostile with you. You are so defensive and your perception is quite skewed. I'm going to continue reading and responding until the thread is closed. Perhaps you should request it be closed because very few people are going to tell you what you want to hear.
You mentioned that you may need counseling. I'm inclined to agree with you on this. Not being snarky-I'm serious.
No one has gotten hostile with me?

Come on now let's face reality:

Sounds like the whole family has problems!

Example above is a post that serves NO PURPOSE except to be nasty. It gives no experiences, suggestions, or otherwise useful comments in addition to the negativity. I don't need that. I can beat myself up very well without help, thank you.

Old 11-29-2012, 12:35 PM

17,403 posts, read 12,001,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyChantal View Post
Yet another cheap shot from someone deliberately misunderstanding why I have a problem with this. Go ahead, get your cheap anonymous internet shots in by all means.
Actually, I think you that is misunderstanding your own reaction to the email.

I love how you feel free to insult anyone that disagrees with you. You don't want to hear the honest, brutal truth, then don't put it out there on the internet. I think it might be time for some self-reflection.

Old 11-29-2012, 12:36 PM

12,477 posts, read 17,815,330 times
Quote:
No one has gotten hostile with me?

Come on now let's face reality:

Sounds like the whole family has problems!

Example above is a post that serves NO PURPOSE except to be nasty. It gives no experiences, suggestions, or otherwise useful comments in addition to the negativity. I don't need that. I can beat myself up very well without help, thank you.

referring you to post # 198

Old 11-29-2012, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Another one getting a cheap shot in by deliberately misunderstand what I am upset about. Yeah, presents is all this about! Please drive through and don't come again.
That clears it up, actually. Since presents is all this is about, you've readily admitted that you are completely materialistic.

Old 11-29-2012, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
OPs sister is hosting a Christmas gathering that includes both sides of the families (the sister's and the sister's husband). Only the husband's side of the family will be receiving gifts at this gathering.

They make a big show of one-by-one his side of the family opening their gifts while everyone sits around and oohs and aahs. While the sister's side of the family sits there with hurt feelings because they were not similary treated. (and by the way, I imagine the husband's side must feel a little awkward by this show)

OP is concerned about her mother's feelings of being left out. OP does want something - she wants some consideration from her sister and BIL about their feelings. If sister and BIL want to do an exchange with his side only - fine, but don't put on a big show in front of those who are not included.

I don't blame her. It's tacky and excluding to do a gift exchange this way.
PURE speculation.

Old 11-29-2012, 12:58 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,621,844 times
The entitlement issues here seem transparent.

To find a lack of gift exchange so traumatizing and angst ridden (as an adult) really is sad, imo. Unless you are a kid.

Old 11-29-2012, 12:58 PM

3,393 posts, read 4,016,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
PURE speculation.
Nope, this from the OP on the 2nd page of the thread:

She has given Xmas gifts to other adults right in front of us when she had previously made a supposed "moratorium" on giving gifts to adults.

Old 11-29-2012, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Actually, I think you that is misunderstanding your own reaction to the email.

I love how you feel free to insult anyone that disagrees with you. You don't want to hear the honest, brutal truth, then don't put it out there on the internet. I think it might be time for some self-reflection.
I'm responding in kind to people who insult me, not those who disagree respectfully and thoughtfully. Plenty of people have done that and I accept it.

Old 11-29-2012, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PippySkiddles View Post
referring you to post # 198
Perhaps you all are used to people who get beat up on here and just slink away?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships