Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 01:30 AM

6,413 posts, read 12,147,004 times

Advertisements

Remind her of that little bit about "judge not ... " or "he that is without sin ..."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2013, 09:17 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,875,803 times
Talk to her. Tell her how you feel and explain although you appreciate her feelings, they are not yours, and you don't want to be preached to. Remember the old saying, you can pick your friends, you can pick your nose, but you can't pick family.

Old 02-12-2013, 10:54 AM

1,215 posts, read 2,584,476 times
Going to church does not automatically make you a good person.

I know of many people who go to church, and I would never want to have a relationship, friendship, business deal, etc. with them. Some of them are not honest or have much integrity.

There are plenty of people who don't go to church that are of good character.

Try not to let it bother you. She shouldn't be judging you.

Old 02-12-2013, 11:54 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,798,566 times
Wouldn't it be wonderful if we could all learn to accept, respect, live and let live? Fanaticism is dangerous in all forms unless there's chocolate involved. Then it's OK.

Old 02-12-2013, 12:03 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,535,626 times
Some of the most hypocritical, manipulative and downright vicious people I have ever encountered in my life sit in church pews EVERY Sunday morning.

Old 02-12-2013, 12:35 PM

8,176 posts, read 18,539,736 times
Assure her that going to church doesn't make you a good Christian any more than sitting in a garage makes you a car.

Old 02-12-2013, 12:52 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,198,794 times
You could tell her that in the Bible it is documented that Jesus spoke to a prostitute and washed her feet. If Jesus can do that for a prostitute, she can be tolerant of your decision. That should make her see the light and if she does not, she is beyond hope tolerance wise, so then you could just limit your contacts to during the holidays and that's all. I would give her about a month and if no change in her attitude, then quit wasting your time.

You deserve better and she is actually practicing the OPPOSITE of true Christianity with her behavior. Don't be afraid to tell her that directly, too. Hopefully, the other members of your family believe in tolerance and respect. She does not and you are in your rights to basically move on if she continues to be immature.

Old 02-12-2013, 03:30 PM

4,721 posts, read 5,313,615 times
Maybe she believes that in order for you to be happy you have to attend church. Maybe she truly believes that church is so wonderful that you must share her joy. I really don't know, but I don't believe that going to church makes you a good person; you either are one or you are not. I would tell her how you feel, and that you want to be close to her, but feel judged. I hope she listens. I believe in God, but do not think that everyone should share my belief, not do I think that going to church each Sunday makes belief stronger.

Old 02-12-2013, 03:37 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,506,170 times
There is nothing he can say or do to make this go away other than draw a line in the sand about their relationship.

Surely you folks know that.

She is convinced that anyone who isn't going to church is going to hell and further -- she doubtless believes it is her god-given DUTY to evangelize and convince her family members that they are doomed to hell if they don't straighten up and see the light.

The more OP protests or tries to cajole, the more convinced his sister is going to be that he is in the grasp of the devil and damned to burn in the eternal fires of hell.

Trying to tell her she is wrong to impose her beliefs on him (or anything else) is an exercise in futility. The more a person tries to "convince" a pious person that he/she needs to back off, the more determined they become to "save" that person.

SO face it. This is a losing battle. The only way for it not to be a losing battle is - NOT TO FIGHT ABOUT IT.

That means . . . some serious strategy.

OP needs to flat out tell his sister that he cannot continue a relationship with her unless they agree to disagree, and that includes that she does not continue to pressure him about religion in any way, shape or form.

That is harsh but either she figures out to keep her mouth shut about the subject or she needs to face the consequences.

Otherwise, OP, if you aren't willing to lay it out to her on that level . . . you will just have to listen to the scornful words, disapproval and evangelizing til you die.

Old 02-12-2013, 03:57 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,445,216 times
If she is determined to talk to you about religion, that's too bad. Maybe ask her if she would be willing for it not to be a topic? I don't think there is a cure for being anal, but, perhaps as she gets older, she can relax.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships